Malcolm Gladwell - Who has read him and what are your impressions?

He's a great writer who has a knack for bringing together really seemingly disparate topics. I think he sometimes falls into the academic trap of having atheory and making everything it into it some there's sometimes when his stuff falls apart if you look closer than he'd like you to but he's goodbig-picture guy.

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

He's a great writer who has a knack for bringing together really seemingly disparate topics. I think he sometimes falls into the academic trap of having a theory and making everything it into it some there's sometimes when his stuff falls apart if you look closer than he'd like you to but he's good big-picture guy.
I'm going thru the information on wikipedia for him and his books right now, and for Outliers, theircomments on him mirror yours: "The writing style, deemed easy to understand, was criticized for oversimplifying complex sociological phenomena."

yea, he does tend to oversimplify, and some of his arguments are definitely reaching, but overall what makes his stuff valuable is that he provides a muchdifferent viewpoint with which you can look at most things.

one thing i did notice is he goes very much into depth with every detail of his theories. it's almost like, how much more can be said about this? still, ienjoy reading his work

I've read Blink a while ago. I remember it being fairly interesting, and it's a quick read. Doesn't really go beyond "fairlyinteresting" though... yet to read Outliers.

Back
Top Bottom