Man contributes to workplace lottery pool for 8 years then goes on vacation...

untitled_06.jpg

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Man Sues Coworkers for Share of $99 Million Lottery Winnings[/h1]
medium_untitled_06.jpg
For eight years, Edward Hairston diligently contributed to his lottery office pool—eight long, jackpot-free years. While he was on medical leave, his coworkers played the Mega Millions and won $99 million. Legal issue: Is some of that money rightfully Hairston's?

Absolutely, says Hairston. Case closed! Er, I mean, ha ha, if instant money could only be so instant. No, the 39-year-old Youngstown, [color= rgb(255, 255, 0)]Ohio[/color] KraftMaid logistics agent is suing 22 of his coworkers to see if the courts will award him the $2 million he (and his lawyer) thinks he deserves. The Lottery Commission's holding onto "his" share, in case the jury presiding over his trial decides to convert those Unlucky Lotto dollars to Lucky ones.

To get some expert legal opinions on Hairston's case, Fox News visited the store that produced the winning $99 million ticket and spoke to random customers. Their verdict: Hairston isn't entitled to any of that money.
"I think he could have sent his money in," said Tracey Root. "He's probably in contact with somebody that he worked with that he could have given the money to stay on top of it."

According to lottery player Jeff Smith, "You've got to pay to play, and if he was part of the group at one time, he was part of the group while he was playing, and to win the lottery, you have to pay in to reap the rewards, so unfortunately, I think he missed out."

Who's better equipped to decide a complicated Ohio lottery case better than an Ohio lottery player? Maybe a judge who's heard all the facts, though nothing's been proven. At any rate, Hairston's lawyer says the office pool's "unwritten policy for years" has included covering for absent employees (Hairston missed his payments for June, July, and August, the months he was on leave with a back injury). Shockingly, the lawyer representing the 22 coworkers denies that. Guess we'll know more when Hairston's jury trial begins on December 12.

Similar lottery lawsuits have been filed in the past, destroying social bonds and replacing friendship and love with acrimony. Perhaps office lottery pools are a bad idea. Perhaps lotteries are a bad idea. Perhaps allowing anyone in America to own more than, say, one million dollars at a time is a bad idea. Perhaps we should all do away with our property and live in communal arrangements (just not in Ohio).

Wait for it...

wait he wants part of the winnings even though he didnt actually pay/play?

He missed 3 months of payments, I could've understood a week to a month but 3 months is ridic to expect some type of return

Morally it's the right thing to do to give him some money. But, legally he isn't entitled to any of it.

You snooze you lose, and he lost. Big time.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

wait he wants part of the winnings even though he didnt actually pay/play?

exactly.
This n_ hasn't paid for 3 months and now he expects to get some of it.....out of his damb mind.

The pool at the job is only $5 a week, so I usually give $20 for the month! When some of my co-workers go on vacation or won't be in they also pay ahead. He's entitled to NONE of that money!

Originally Posted by play2much2004

He missed 3 months of payments, I could've understood a week to a month but 3 months is ridic to expect some type of return

Yeah its not like dude took a long weekend and missed a day for the first time in years... I'd throw dude a lil cash though...

Originally Posted by Mitchellicious

Morally it's the right thing to do to give him some money. But, legally he isn't entitled to any of it.
Agreed.

8 years playing along and then to not be able to play because of medical leave, come on. The player who has to sit out all season for being injured is still considered a winner if their team wins the championship. It's not like he quit playing and wants a share. It's unfortunate and those office bonds are about to be shot. 
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Id be mad if I was him too. 3 months to 8 years of contributing is nothing. His coworkers should be cool and give him some, he put in a ton of money. He could just give them the money he didnt contribute those 3 months

what the eff? the lottery commision is holding the money until the legal issue is resolved?? So if you decide to sue somebody the lottery will wait until the case is cleared up? that seems really strange to me for some reason. I would be pissed if some idiot tried to sue me and delayed my jackpot. I WANT MY MONEY MAN!

dude played for 8 years with them though..
its only 2mil out of 99mil id give it to him wouldnt even be an issue 

that has to hurt

they don't owe him anything tho

i'd buy him a car for his troubles, that about it

damnnnnn hes gotta be so pissed that after 8 years of contributing, they actually won, and he was on med leave

Back
Top Bottom