Manny Ramirez, where Andre Ethier happened.

16,335
13
Joined Dec 27, 2002
Before Manny's suspension: 33-104, 6 home runs, 27 runs batted in, 20 walks, 16 strikeouts
After Manny's suspension: 4-32, 0 home runs, 0 runs batted in, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts

 
1,639
10
Joined Sep 27, 2004
That is shocking! And people talk about batting order and protection not being important.
 
23,113
12,131
Joined Aug 2, 2006
Originally Posted by tylerdub

That is shocking! And people talk about batting order and protection not being important.
It's not and it's called small sample size.


It will even out...it better cause Either is on my fantasy team.
 
1,639
10
Joined Sep 27, 2004
Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by tylerdub

That is shocking! And people talk about batting order and protection not being important.
It's not and it's called small sample size.


It will even out...it better cause Either is on my fantasy team.
that made me LOL!
 
89,037
29,226
Joined May 31, 2004
Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

People acting like Jason Bay isn't hitting as well as Manny ever did.
it's been a month and a half.

and maybe im missing your point, but people are trying to say manny offers good protection. what does bay have to do with this? bay was good in pitt, he'sgood in boston. not sure what he has to do with manny protecting ortiz
 
13,586
971
Joined Feb 19, 2006
I don't know, it is easy to attribute this slump to Manny being gone. Ethier is still getting the same pitches to hit, it seems like he is pressing. Hehas the "whole team is on my shoulder mentality, and it is killing his approach".

David Ortiz hit in front of Manny, Ethier has been hitting behind Manny the entire season. On top of that, the 1-3 hitters (Pierre, Furcal, Hudson) are stillgetting OB at the same rate, if not higher, since Manny left.

He will be fine, slumps happen.
 
23,113
12,131
Joined Aug 2, 2006
Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

People acting like Jason Bay isn't hitting as well as Manny ever did.
it's been a month and a half
Irrelevant according to the theory of "protection."

Also can somebody explain to me why Andre Ethier, is seeing less fastballs then he was last year?? and less then his career average...



Pitch Type

Show Postseason | Show Projections | Show Minor Leagues | Quick Glossary
[table][tr][th="col"]Season[/th] [th="col"]Team[/th] [th="col"]FB[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Total *
[/td] [td]
- - -
[/td] [td]
60.5% (90.2)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008[/td] [td]Dodgers[/td] [td]62.8% (90.6)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2009[/td] [td]Dodgers[/td] [td]56.5% (90.5)[/td] [/tr][/table]

Protection? What protection?
 
89,037
29,226
Joined May 31, 2004
Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

People acting like Jason Bay isn't hitting as well as Manny ever did.
it's been a month and a half.

and maybe im missing your point, but people are trying to say manny offers good protection. what does bay have to do with this? bay was good in pitt, he's good in boston. not sure what he has to do with manny protecting ortiz
ahh i see it. but heres the thing...bay doesnt "protect" ortiz. and as good as bay/youkilis will be hitting behind ortiz, they're nomanny ramirez
 
8,398
268
Joined Jul 22, 2001
Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

People acting like Jason Bay isn't hitting as well as Manny ever did.
it's been a month and a half.

and maybe im missing your point, but people are trying to say manny offers good protection. what does bay have to do with this? bay was good in pitt, he's good in boston. not sure what he has to do with manny protecting ortiz
This dude Osh Kosh just be killin me. Although ive joked with Yankee fans and my boys saying Manny who? because of Bay. He is nowhere near asscary as Manny when he comes to the plate. The whole protection arguement is mute, if you are a good enough hitter the people before you in the line-up aregoing to get thrown more strikes because no1 wants to put runners on when good hitters come to the plate.
 
23,113
12,131
Joined Aug 2, 2006
The idea of protection is that because a great hitter is behind you you will see more fastballs he is seeing the exact same amount of fastballs as he was lastyear and the year bfore that, and in fact he saw more fastballs when he was in Minnesota.

Big Papi is just swinging at bad pitches he has good hitters behind him hitters who are hitting as well Manny did behind him. It has nothing to do with Manny.

He's old he can't catch up with fast balls and is guessing.
 
89,037
29,226
Joined May 31, 2004
^ you're right about him not catching up on "heaters" (88mph...it's pathetic, really). but he has been facing a lot of off speed stuff thisyear too. that's why he's guessing more, and that's why he can't sit dead red like he could a year or two ago. i find it interesting you sayhe's facing more fastballs now but is still guessing. clearly, it's one or the other. i'm almost certain he even said in an interview a week or twoago that he's seen more offspeed and breaking stuff this year. but i know you're into stats, so if you have stats on him getting more heaters thisyear, fair enough. but it's either he's getting more fast balls OR he's guessing...it's not both.

and again, as good as youkilis and bay and drew and lowell are...they're not as imposing as manny was.
 
23,113
12,131
Joined Aug 2, 2006
Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

People acting like Jason Bay isn't hitting as well as Manny ever did.
it's been a month and a half.

and maybe im missing your point, but people are trying to say manny offers good protection. what does bay have to do with this? bay was good in pitt, he's good in boston. not sure what he has to do with manny protecting ortiz
This dude Osh Kosh just be killin me. Although ive joked with Yankee fans and my boys saying Manny who? because of Bay. He is nowhere near as scary as Manny when he comes to the plate. The whole protection arguement is mute, if you are a good enough hitter the people before you in the line-up are going to get thrown more strikes because no1 wants to put runners on when good hitters come to the plate.
I'm killing you??!!!


You are ignoring FACTS.

He is seeing MORE fastballs before Manny got there, this is fact.

No pitcher throws anyone good pitches too hit, especially if you are a good hitter no matter who you are. If you are Barry Bonds, no matter who is behind youpitchers will not throw you good pitches to hit.
 
23,113
12,131
Joined Aug 2, 2006
Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

^ you're right about him not catching up on "heaters" (88mph...it's pathetic, really). but he has been facing a lot of off speed stuff this year too. that's why he's guessing more, and that's why he can't sit dead red like he could a year or two ago. i find it interesting you say he's facing more fastballs now but is still guessing. clearly, it's one or the other. i'm almost certain he even said in an interview a week or two ago that he's seen more offspeed and breaking stuff this year. but i know you're into stats, so if you have stats on him getting more heaters this year, fair enough. but it's either he's getting more fast balls OR he's guessing...it's not both.

and again, as good as youkilis and bay and drew and lowell are...they're not as imposing as manny was.
According to the numbers he is seeing less sliders but more curve balls, but he is seeing the same amount of fast balls he has seen his entirecareer. He is just missing them, and swinging at pitches out side of the strike zone.

Ask Nomar wrist injuries actually impede your ability to hit.
 
13,586
971
Joined Feb 19, 2006
Irrelevant according to the theory of "protection."

Also can somebody explain to me why Andre Ethier, is seeing less fastballs then he was last year?? and less then his career average...



Pitch Type

Show Postseason | Show Projections | Show Minor Leagues | Quick Glossary
[table][tr][th="col"]Season[/th] [th="col"]Team[/th] [th="col"]FB[/th] [/tr][tr][td]
Total *
[/td] [td]
- - -
[/td] [td]
60.5% (90.2)
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008[/td] [td]Dodgers[/td] [td]62.8% (90.6)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2009[/td] [td]Dodgers[/td] [td]56.5% (90.5)[/td] [/tr][/table]

Protection? What protection?
Last season, Ethier hit in front of Manny during the month of September, and his numbers spiked.

He has been hitting in front of Manny, to the frustration of some Dodger fans, this season.

How was Manny "protecting" Ethier, when Ethier has been hitting behind Manny all year?

I wasn't a Jeff Kent fan, but he hit behind Bonds, not in front of Bonds? How is that protection?
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now