Mark Cuban on the Stock Market (we be readin)

I dont know much about economics.  But this makes a bit of sense to me.

http://blogmaverick.com/2...-your-money-in-the-bank/
[h2]The Stock Market is still for Suckers and why you should put your money in the bank[/h2]
Aug 20th 2010 11:24PM

I wrote a whole series of articles warning people about the stock market over the years. You can see them here.It’s gotten worse. So I thought i would write some more about why youshould probably avoid putting any new money into the stock market…

If you haven’t noticed, individuals are avoiding the stock market in droves.  There has been an enormous exodus from equity based mutual funds.Why ? Because people buy stocks for only one reason, they want them togo up in price. If you don’t believe the market is going to go up. Ifyou don’t believe you can find a greater fool to buy your stock, or thestock your funds own, why would you buy either ? You wouldn’t andpeople aren’t.

The amazing thing is that doing nothing in the market is thesmartest approach to the market. It is pretty  much impossible for someman or woman or child who devotes a couple of hours per week to themarket to outperform the professionals who spend 24×7 doing this for aliving and when they are asleep, they have a workforce full of peopledoing more of the same.  In this day and age, none of us are smarterthan the market.

I didn’t always think this way.  I didn’t ever think there was atruly efficient market until just recently.  What changed ? Theavailability of capital changed.  While we can argue about whether ornot the market is efficient because everyone has access to the sameinformation, I would always argue that they didn’t efficiently use thatinformation and even if they did, capital was not always allocatedcorrectly  to every market segment.

Capital found its way to where people/funds thought they weresmarter than the rest. Some people thought they understood the techmarkets better than others. Some thought they understood retail better,etc.  The belief that an individual/fund had an advantage  drove wherecapital was allocated.  People posted good performance or identifiedmacro opportunities and put their own and others money to work.  Otherssaw the success and followed.  Like the saying goes “first there werethe innovators, then the imitators, then the idiots

I dont know much about economics.  But this makes a bit of sense to me.

http://blogmaverick.com/2...-your-money-in-the-bank/
[h2]The Stock Market is still for Suckers and why you should put your money in the bank[/h2]
Aug 20th 2010 11:24PM

I wrote a whole series of articles warning people about the stock market over the years. You can see them here.It’s gotten worse. So I thought i would write some more about why youshould probably avoid putting any new money into the stock market…

If you haven’t noticed, individuals are avoiding the stock market in droves.  There has been an enormous exodus from equity based mutual funds.Why ? Because people buy stocks for only one reason, they want them togo up in price. If you don’t believe the market is going to go up. Ifyou don’t believe you can find a greater fool to buy your stock, or thestock your funds own, why would you buy either ? You wouldn’t andpeople aren’t.

The amazing thing is that doing nothing in the market is thesmartest approach to the market. It is pretty  much impossible for someman or woman or child who devotes a couple of hours per week to themarket to outperform the professionals who spend 24×7 doing this for aliving and when they are asleep, they have a workforce full of peopledoing more of the same.  In this day and age, none of us are smarterthan the market.

I didn’t always think this way.  I didn’t ever think there was atruly efficient market until just recently.  What changed ? Theavailability of capital changed.  While we can argue about whether ornot the market is efficient because everyone has access to the sameinformation, I would always argue that they didn’t efficiently use thatinformation and even if they did, capital was not always allocatedcorrectly  to every market segment.

Capital found its way to where people/funds thought they weresmarter than the rest. Some people thought they understood the techmarkets better than others. Some thought they understood retail better,etc.  The belief that an individual/fund had an advantage  drove wherecapital was allocated.  People posted good performance or identifiedmacro opportunities and put their own and others money to work.  Otherssaw the success and followed.  Like the saying goes “first there werethe innovators, then the imitators, then the idiots

Makes a ton a sense. That's why a Drunkenmiller is closing up his shop (been in the hedge fund business for 30 years), and Pellegrini at PSQR is returning money to investors. All these alpha chasers are finding there aren't that many opportunities.

Makes a ton a sense. That's why a Drunkenmiller is closing up his shop (been in the hedge fund business for 30 years), and Pellegrini at PSQR is returning money to investors. All these alpha chasers are finding there aren't that many opportunities.

The next depression is around the corner... thas the CHANGE for the new AGE. 2012 is the start of a new day. All the stars are aligning now and there's nothing we can do to stop it. The world market is flooded with bad paper and very low interest rates. When the rates go up the flood gates will open.. and blood shall pour. Its really that simple..
IM STACKING GOLD AND SILVER BULLION RIGHT NOW... i suggest you do the same

The next depression is around the corner... thas the CHANGE for the new AGE. 2012 is the start of a new day. All the stars are aligning now and there's nothing we can do to stop it. The world market is flooded with bad paper and very low interest rates. When the rates go up the flood gates will open.. and blood shall pour. Its really that simple..

^ that was interesting.....
And Mark Cuban is one smart dude. Like the guy below me said, his blog is great.

^ that was interesting.....
And Mark Cuban is one smart dude. Like the guy below me said, his blog is great.

I read this a few days ago. Very insightful. Cuban's blog is usually on point.

I read this a few days ago. Very insightful. Cuban's blog is usually on point.

Originally Posted by devildog1776

i cannot tell if you're serious...

if you do your research you will not lose money in the stock market. You can make more in stocks than you would with banks. Take his information with a grain of salt as he is a billionaire....a couple billion in the bank + interest rates = $$$$......we as the working class can only invest thousands + interest rates = practically nothing.

if you do your research you will not lose money in the stock market. You can make more in stocks than you would with banks. Take his information with a grain of salt as he is a billionaire....a couple billion in the bank + interest rates = $$$$......we as the working class can only invest thousands + interest rates = practically nothing.

Macro hedge funds have been closing, but if you think others are going to I think that's a bit far fetched.
Indiviuals have little reason to get into a volatile market. Get in day 1 and have a 25% unrelaized loss the next. I'm also willing to bet that those individual investors who are around will sell off their long-term gains before 12/31 and even some losses to carryforward.
Mutual funds are a waste now compared to say ETF investing. I didn't catch what Cuban defines an individual investor as but there are some things to consider:

1. The older generation took an absolute beating from retirement allocation, housing and then discretionary spending. They have little capital left after immediate expenditures to throw into the market.
2. In uncertain volatile times, even indiviuals get into metals, TIPs, treasuries, and money market funds. Sacraficing return for capital preservation.
3. Lots of middle aged people only invest directly for their retirement and those people have seen little return and have less time than someone like me whose under 30.

The taxation in this country will revert back to a way that won't necessarily benefit people in the short term, however I feel with the looming 12/31 sell off approaching that creates a nice buying time for myself.

Lastly, more hedge funds are opening specialized finds buying distressed debts and other alternative instruments that aren't direct long/short equities. I think that's something you'll continue to see for the next 3-5 years as managers wait to see how macro worldwide economics play out which ultimately will allow for global oppurtunity once again.

Right now there's too much risk for unstable reward.

Macro hedge funds have been closing, but if you think others are going to I think that's a bit far fetched.
Indiviuals have little reason to get into a volatile market. Get in day 1 and have a 25% unrelaized loss the next. I'm also willing to bet that those individual investors who are around will sell off their long-term gains before 12/31 and even some losses to carryforward.
Mutual funds are a waste now compared to say ETF investing. I didn't catch what Cuban defines an individual investor as but there are some things to consider:

1. The older generation took an absolute beating from retirement allocation, housing and then discretionary spending. They have little capital left after immediate expenditures to throw into the market.
2. In uncertain volatile times, even indiviuals get into metals, TIPs, treasuries, and money market funds. Sacraficing return for capital preservation.
3. Lots of middle aged people only invest directly for their retirement and those people have seen little return and have less time than someone like me whose under 30.

The taxation in this country will revert back to a way that won't necessarily benefit people in the short term, however I feel with the looming 12/31 sell off approaching that creates a nice buying time for myself.

Lastly, more hedge funds are opening specialized finds buying distressed debts and other alternative instruments that aren't direct long/short equities. I think that's something you'll continue to see for the next 3-5 years as managers wait to see how macro worldwide economics play out which ultimately will allow for global oppurtunity once again.

Right now there's too much risk for unstable reward.

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

I'm dead serious

Back
Top Bottom