Mark Herzlich Has Been Diagnosed With Cancer.

Even for relatively diehard fans, it might have been possible to get through the last couple seasons knowing Mark Herzlich only as "the guy with thecrazy facepaint," but that would be missing the lead: The 6'4", 240-pound Boston College linebacker was the defensive player of the yearin a conference that had six defenders picked in the first two rounds of this year's draft, and might have joined teammate B.J. Raji in the top-10 if hehadn't decided to come back for his senior season at B.C.

Pray today, then, that the football chapter of Herzlich's story isn't closed after the sure-fire All-American disclosed that he's been diagnosed with cancer:
Boston College senior linebacker Mark Herzlich disclosed today that he has been diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, a malignant tumor most often found in bone or soft tissue.

The following is a statement from Herzlich:

"This past week, I got some news nobody wants to hear. After undergoing some tests to determine the cause of some pain I had been experiencing in my leg, I learned that I have Ewing's Sarcoma.

"Obviously, I was shocked. I had been extremely focused on preparing for my senior season at Boston College and for life beyond that. Now, I must channel all that energy into facing my toughest opponent yet, and that is exactly what I will do.
[...]
"At this point, I do not know what this means for my football future, but I am determined to rid my body of this disease so that I can put that uniform back on. Thank you in advance for your prayers and concern. Together, we will fight this and win."

I'm not that kind of doctor, but I assume "cancer" and "bone" in the same sentence is always, literally, deathly serious news; forEwing's Sarcoma, the prognosis depends on a variety offactors, but five-year survival rates if the diagnosis is made fairly early are as high as 80 percent.

eek.gif
frown.gif

Hopefully he can get through this....sports should be the last thing on our mind when we hear a story like this but he had a hell of a season last year.

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

holy *@!@ dude was a beast ... i hope he can live a healthy life ...
word. Dude was a monster.
laugh.gif
his face paint was a trip

But he made sooo many game changing plays. I wanted to see what he would do this yr

I hope he can lead a normal healthy life, football second, but the fan in me, wants to see him back on thaty field killin dudes and makin plays

Again with this cancer. I cant even begin to say How much I hate that word and illness. one day we'll see a cure, I hope Im alive for it

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

holy *@!@ dude was a beast ... i hope he can live a healthy life ...
word. Dude was a monster.
laugh.gif
his face paint was a trip

But he made sooo many game changing plays. I wanted to see what he would do this yr

I hope he can lead a normal healthy life, football second, but the fan in me, wants to see him back on thaty field killin dudes and makin plays

Again with this cancer. I cant even begin to say How much I hate that word and illness. one day we'll see a cure, I hope Im alive for it
QFT.

I hope dude beats this and returns to the field.

God be with him
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom