Martin Lawrence Suing Trinidad James For $5 Million.. For Stealing “Jerome”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said Friends though.
Seinfeld>>>Friends
Glad you enjoy Seinfield, I love Friends. For the cast to be paid as much as they were and for the show to last as long as it did, I'm sure that means a few million other people loved it as well. I'm sorry, just couldn't get into Seinfield, even though my mom loved it. Always thought the lil standup part he did was corny.

Last edited:
^repped

Like for real, what black comedy sitcom makes blacks look bad? I haven't seen this show. Please inform us.
Martin, Jamie Foxx, The Parkers, The Game, Everything Tyler Perry has ever done, The Wayans Brothers, etc etc etc. These shows are nothing like the other shows that are listed, I'd rather not get into specifics I really dont want to be the reason that this thread makes the full turn into a full on race thread, but you can tell by looking at these shows and the shows he listed for two seconds and see what the differences are. They are not the same.....

I painted with large brush in my post but I'm pretty sure I didnt say they all did, I even screen capped a post of mine where I've listed them.

Last edited:
lol My wife and kids....its an ok show...never thought it was funny more like a entertaining show ala like a cosby/fresh prince. But i can see why ppl arent big on seinfield and the likes there of. Ppl may say oh race isnt an issue etc... But i tend to disagree...outside of sports and reality tv, in terms of popularity in shows in particularly comedies. demographics show most of the top rated shows watched by minorities are least watched by majorities and visa verse.

Example it was a time that the most popular show amongst minorities (comedy wise) was the parkers...however it wasnt even in the top 50 by majorities.Hwever friends was amongst one of the top rated shows by majorities..and i cant even think where it was rated amongst minorities...(i know it wasnt nowhere near top 50 or even top 100.

So for shows like moesha, living single etc.. top be top 10 shows amongst minorities, and not even ranked with whites etc... and for friends, home improvement etc... top be top 5 shows amongst whites and not even on the radar with minorities def.. isnt a coincidence.

I mean there def is a reason why ron white has a different audience then a mike epps. My only issue about it is this whole elitiest attitude...the oh if you dont like the office etc...then its over your head, or the jokes are to clever for you. As to say white comedies equal some sort of high intellect, and minority comedies are for the simple minded. Or the cliche all black shows are the exact same etc... despite a good majority of the white counterpart comedies are varations of one another or a version of another show with a twist but still is based on a set concept.

^repped

Like for real, what black comedy sitcom makes blacks look bad? I haven't seen this show. Please inform us.
Martin, Jamie Foxx, The Parkers, The Game, Everything Tyler Perry has ever done, The Wayans Brothers, etc etc etc. These shows are nothing like the other shows that are listed, I'd rather not get into specifics I really dont want to be the reason that this thread makes the full turn into a full on race thread, but you can tell by looking at these shows and the shows he listed for two seconds and see what the differences are. They are not the same.....

I painted with large brush in my post but I'm pretty sure I didnt say they all did, I even screen capped a post of mine where I've listed them.
Jamie Foxx a show about a hardworking black couple that owns a hotel and brings in their talented nephew to work while also hiring 2 smart, educated african american professionals in Braxton and Fancy? That makes black people look bad?  Fancy moving up in the world with good job opportunities and dating doctors?  Braxton showing the black men can like things like classical music?  Jamie following his dreams to be a musician while trying to pay the bills?

What part of that makes us look bad?

dumbest thing ive ever read on NT
please stop posting.
I don't understand why everyone is so defensive about Seinfeld.

IMO that show was corny as **** and barely brought any giggles.

Workaholics > Seinfeld braj
I like both shows you mentioned but I want to know why it's personal attacks over Martin. Dudes questioning others race and how closely they identify with it because they don't like a stereotypical and redundant show with canned laughter. Seems unfair.

i think some of those shows in particular martin where a true depiction of the avg blacks at that time. To often blacks only want to be seen in a always positive light or unreleastic situation so they wount be stereotyped.

But martin was at that time imo was the epitime of a average brother his age at that time. The characters were relatable for the most part. I mean martin did reg stuff...ie went to the sports bar with friends and watched football, played pickup ball with folks on the block. wore the current fashion of that time, etc...

I mean the parkers wasnt to bad, the game wasnt bad, it just highlighted alot of black stereotypes...some of the good, the bad and the ugly... I mean it would be fake to act as if alot of black celebrities werent like malik, or jason. As far as tyler he i wont even comment lol.

I get not trying to show blacks in a negative light cause a good majority of tv does a fine job of it...but at the same time every show cant be the cosbys or fresh prince. It would be an incredible unrealistic depiction to show that all black folks is rich, know influential/important ppl, lives by the president...have multiple college degrees etc...It does need to be some sort of balance...but in no way am i saying it should be on the scales of such ****ary as a homeboys in outerspace, tyler perry shows etc...

lol My wife and kids....its an ok show...never thought it was funny more like a entertaining show ala like a cosby/fresh prince. But i can see why ppl arent big on seinfield and the likes there of. Ppl may say oh race isnt an issue etc... But i tend to disagree...outside of sports and reality tv, in terms of popularity in shows in particularly comedies. demographics show most of the top rated shows watched by minorities are least watched by majorities and visa verse.

Example it was a time that the most popular show amongst minorities (comedy wise) was the parkers...however it wasnt even in the top 50 by majorities.Hwever friends was amongst one of the top rated shows by majorities..and i cant even think where it was rated amongst minorities...(i know it wasnt nowhere near top 50 or even top 100.

So for shows like moesha, living single etc.. top be top 10 shows amongst minorities, and not even ranked with whites etc... and for friends, home improvement etc... top be top 5 shows amongst whites and not even on the radar with minorities def.. isnt a coincidence.

I mean there def is a reason why ron white has a different audience then a mike epps. My only issue about it is this whole elitiest attitude...the oh if you dont like the office etc...then its over your head, or the jokes are to clever for you. As to say white comedies equal some sort of high intellect, and minority comedies are for the simple minded. Or the cliche all black shows are the exact same etc... despite a good majority of the white counterpart comedies are varations of one another or a version of another show with a twist but still is based on a set concept.
Very well said sir
glasses.gif

^repped

Jamie Foxx a show about a hardworking black couple that owns a hotel and brings in their talented nephew to work while also hiring 2 smart, educated african american professionals in Braxton and Fancy? That makes black people look bad?  Fancy moving up in the world with good job opportunities and dating doctors?  Braxton showing the black men can like things like classical music?  Jamie following his dreams to be a musician while trying to pay the bills?

What part of that makes us look bad?
Is that really how you would describe this show to someone? Sounds like you somehow found the pitch statement for it and copied and pasted it. Go ahead and tell someone this and then have them watch the show. That is not what will jump out at them.... As if Braxton wasnt clowned for his interests, Jamie wasnt freeloading and acting a fool 98% of the time and almost every character was doing something wildly unprofessional whilst on the job at any given moment.......

i think some of those shows in particular martin where a true depiction of the avg blacks at that time. To often blacks only want to be seen in a always positive light or unreleastic situation so they wount be stereotyped.

But martin was at that time imo was the epitime of a average brother his age at that time. The characters were relatable for the most part. I mean martin did reg stuff...ie went to the sports bar with friends and watched football, played pickup ball with folks on the block. wore the current fashion of that time, etc...

I mean the parkers wasnt to bad, the game wasnt bad, it just highlighted alot of black stereotypes...some of the good, the bad and the ugly... I mean it would be fake to act as if alot of black celebrities werent like malik, or jason. As far as tyler he i wont even comment lol.

I get not trying to show blacks in a negative light cause a good majority of tv does a fine job of it...but at the same time every show cant be the cosbys or fresh prince. It would be an incredible unrealistic depiction to show that all black folks is rich, know influential/important ppl, lives by the president...have multiple college degrees etc...It does need to be some sort of balance...but in no way am i saying it should be on the scales of such ****ary as a homeboys in outerspace, tyler perry shows etc...
This is all true, and I agree, however I was just listing the reasons that I think these shows suck. Regardless of the relatibility of it, it just wasnt funny to me. Its just not something I want to see in regards to my comedy intake and falls into the category of cheap laughs.

all it takes is one statement to derail a topic on NT :rofl:

to continue this derailment Im a fan of black comedies and yes some of them arent that good but the way some of you going about it yall making seem white comedies >>> black comedies and thats just not true and this is coming from someone who watches all types of comedies from Frasier to The Game and I just think IMO its just peoples preference and what type of environment they was raised in

but I do have to say that I do not for the life of me get the fascination with Seinfield and I have tried numerous times to watch AND enjoy it but I just cant its just to corny to me but I love Curb Your Enthusiasm

1297309890364_ORIGINAL.jpg

RGIII you scrambling for answers and reason now homie...
I know right, your assessment of the Jamie Foxx show was so astute. It was really spot on, suprised that show wasnt winning emmys left and right with it putting out such quality programing.
eyes.gif

You got it man you win, I'm dont really want to get into the back and forth with you about this. Since I dont like all products that are marketed towards black people, I must be a self hating black person or RGIII cornball brother status.

Last edited:
[quote name="AEA18" url="/t/519437/ all it really does is make black people look bad. I didnt say all either, I said the majority, which IMO is true. Its basura
How do sitcoms like these make black people look bad?
View media item 196753View media item 196767View media item 196757View media item 196759View media item 196761View media item 196762View media item 196763View media item 196766View media item 196769View media item 196771View media item 196773[/quote]

These televsion show's don't make black people look bad,this is something usually said by someone of color or of a younger generation who takes the opinion of the majority and end's up basing their like's and dislike's solely off of that.Discard those opinion's because the majority should never dictate what is good and what isn't.And to be honest with you,they usually don't,it's the younger generation that set's the tone for just about everything of entertainment that going on.What I see as a problem now is That when it comes to having quality in entertainment,with something of substance on television and the big screen the majority and the younger generation aren't giving any appreciate for art,the idea and craft that goes into into a production,It just boils down to,if they can't relate to anything personally their not going to support it,it won't have a leg to stand on.

Let's talk about the Jefferson's show,which is a spin-off of the show "All in the family" whose maintain character was Archibald "Archie" Bunker,who was a fictional New Yorker in the 1970s.If you've watch the show or didn't,it's probably one of the most,political, racially driven show's that I've actually watched in my life,outside of the show "The wire","Chris Rock show","Dave chappelle show"...ect,.It start's with The Jefferson,moving into an all white neighborhood making them Archie Bunker's next door neighbor's and between Archie Bunker and George Jefferson's ego,the same ego he has in "The Jefferson's show", but is one coming from the perspective of a white middle class hardworking family and the other from a upper middle class pro-black family.I kid you not,the tension between them,the joke's that the writter's of the show job that they did has to be one of the funniest battle's ever between the two character's on a sitcom.
After that came the idea of "The Jefferson's show"where they moved on up to the eastside,too a deluxe apartment in the sky,they kinda took the political/racial aspect out of the show but it was still present during certain show's,it's just that they were dealing with the problem's of everyday life,it was just from a wealthy pro-black point of view.How can anyone say that those show's made black people look bad is beyond comprehension and I won't even go into talking about "Sandford & son","Goodtime's","A different world","Living single","Everyone Hates chris"...ect,because if anything they should have helped change people's idea's of what black people's lives are like.

I'm sorry for going into talking about other thing's besides the topic at hand,which I think is bogus because Martin is like Eddie Murphy now,he's busy doing the block buster movie's to be worried about some rapper who just got a deal,thanks to an idea and the internet;And to be honest how stupid would it be for Martin to personally sue someone else for stealing an Idea when his character and Jamie Foxx's is based off of Flip Wilson character named Geraldean from the 70's?.
It would blasphemy for even suggesting such an act and if that's the case Katt William's should sue Cedric "The entertainer" for stealing his joke's and doing them on "The King's of comedy",which did well,for example when Hollywood thought it wouldn't because the majority wouldn't support it in threater's....They got the last laugh huh?right.

Enough said....peace

Uhh how did you come to that conclusion. Sanford & Son is a good show and the other shows suck. Thats it. I said nothing to the validity of it being a "black" sitcom.

Sit down G
Hey if you enjoy stereotypes it is no skin off my back. Every time I see you post you are the first one to cry out and pull the race card when it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.  

all it takes is one statement to derail a topic on NT :rofl:
to continue this derailment Im a fan of black comedies and yes some of them arent that good but the way some of you going about it yall making seem white comedies >>> black comedies and thats just not true and this is coming from someone who watches all types of comedies from Frasier to The Game and I just think IMO its just peoples preference and what type of environment they was raised in
but I do have to say that I do not for the life of me get the fascination with Seinfield and I have tried numerous times to watch AND enjoy it but I just cant its just to corny to me but I love Curb Your Enthusiasm

seinfeld becomes extremely good with multiple views of all eps. there is simply too much going on. try its always sunny in philadelphia if you havent. has recently replaced seinfeld as my favorite show all time

Last edited by a moderator:
*back to the topic*

prepare to have that lawsuit dismissed...

i have a drunk uncle that dresses crazy, had crooked gold teeth, acts a fool too...he should sue the martin show for "stealing his likeliness"...

where does it stop?

*now back to discussing is the tv show martin was funny*

seinfeld becomes extremely good with multiple views of all eps. there is simply too much going on. try its always sunny in philadelphia if you havent. has recently replaced seinfeld as my favorite show all time

No.
Always Sunny In Philly is extra weak, and is the equivalent to Martin when it comes to ppl just riding the bandwagon wave IMO.

Now Curb Your Enthusiasm?
Damn near GOAT status to me, especially the latest season. :pimp:

I'm not understanding why Jamie foxx is a clown for freeloading/ clowning when Joey did the same thing on Friends.

With the two narratives running in this thread it's clear as day yall can't argue yall opinions on a subjective level or argue the impact and influence of these shows on a objective level.

Last few pages have just been outlandish statement after another. Dudes posting shows and ppl aren't even properly addressing it, just saying w/e :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom