Marvin Williams - Forever a role player?

Okay, drafting an impact player is always iffy at best; but when a team that NEEDS a pg passes up not 1, not 2, but 3 different good pgs for a yet another small forward, he'd better be good right? Scratch that, he'd better be great. Well Marvin Williams has not and now I'm starting to wonder if he has it in him to be. I can't see him even making the All Star game any time soon, since not only is he not that central to the team's offense or defense; I can't see him moving up the pecking order either. People were salivating over his potential to be a superstar back then (though I didn't see it), does anyone honestly believe he can be a star?

eyes.gif
lit my team up last night
will forever be a decent role player

I for one really like his game. Obviously he was taken too high, but he has a very versatile game and has improved each year. I think he can be a 3rd or 4th option on a very good team eventually.

He's a role player....he doesn't seem to want to be anything more than that either. I will say that he is only 23 though...maybe one season sometime down the line, he'll put up some good looking numbers and make one all-star game a la Tom Gugliotta, but other than that....he's a role player.

He'll be a solid role player in his career. There's just added hype/pressure/critisism because of who he was drafted in front of.

I like Marvin, but I too was pissed that we passed on CP, I talked to dude 2 days before the draft and told him "You need to go to the Hawks" and he said "haha, yea that's what i'm aiming for". Dumb aaa Billy Knight wanna draft Shelden and Marvin and shhh like that.

I think we need an awesome PG to bring Marvins game out. Our PG's suck, Teague is nice.

He'll be a solid player, but only a role player at most imo.

He has a high ceiling, but he just cant seem to put everything together.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

I for one really like his game. Obviously he was taken too high, but he has a very versatile game and has improved each year. I think he can be a 3rd or 4th option on a very good team eventually.

pretty sure hes on a very good team now as their 4th option...

Originally Posted by OHyeah10

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

pretty sure hes on a very good team now as their 4th option...

The 2005 Draft will forever be a mystery to me - how does a team with a vital need at the point guard position pass on two, not merely serviceable, but outstanding point guards in favor of a versatile, but largely unproven forward, of which they already plenty of. In my opinion, decision like this represent the gap between good NBA franchises and exceptional franchises. Imagine CP running this team, with weapons like Joe, J-Smoove, Crawford...
eek.gif

lots of people were hyping marvin's potential that summer. he wasn't even a starter on that unc team but they still felt he had the best chance at being the best nba player.

I like the Joe Smith comparison

I just see what he has done and look at it this way, if you took him away from the Hawks now, how would they look????

He has vastly improved his jump shot. I got to watch him the other day up close at the Nets game during shootaround and his range has improved, when he entered the league, he was no where close to hitting threes. Now dude is hitting them with ease.

His defense has improved.

I think the difference in that Joe Smith comparision is starter to bench role player. Smith was a no. 1 pick that was never going to be a great starter but great bench player.

I believe Marvin Williams has developed himself to be a starter on most teams in this league in a specific role.

It just sucks that CP and Deron would of been the better choice at that time.

Originally Posted by diew its james

if andray blatche can be a leading player on a team, im sure one day marvin will be there...hopefully

Blatche is steadily pissing his opportunity away as we speak, but at least he's shown the mentality to want to be the man every now and then. I wonder if Marvin would have gone to Milwaukee and had more responsibility placed on him, would his mind set be different?

Back
Top Bottom