Matt Cooke saw the Hand of God last night....vol. the boy is named Evander for a reason....

Karma.

I'm sure Kane will be invited to throw out a first pitch at Fenway sometime this week
laugh.gif

EASILY the punch of the year. 

Fighting in hockey is stupid.

I understand getting into a fight in the heat of the moment but you have too many idiots who just skate around looking for fights for no reason at all.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Fighting in hockey is stupid.

I understand getting into a fight in the heat of the moment but you have too many idiots who just skate around looking for fights for no reason at all.
100% agreed.

But In this case I will make an exception, Matt Cooke deserved that *!@#.
pimp.gif

The dude looking for the fight got lit up. Problem solved.

gave him the ronnie treatment "that's 1 shot!"
I would have died if Kane Sammy Sosa -hopped away from dude

can some one break down fighting in hockey for me?

when is it legal to do?

when is it too excessive?

was there more of it back in the day compared to now?

what happens at the end of the fight? do both players get sent to the box or does it depend on the situation?

and what is the point?

you guys sound like little girls.. you guys praise all of these other fights and all but in hockey its stupid right? I know its because no one likes hockey and hockey is stupid. Well guess what its part of the game. There's hitting involved and most fights usually start out to protect their star players or send the other team a message like in baseball when they throw the ball at one another.

StrongMind, in hockey fighting is legal whenever, mostly both guys always agree to drop the gloves or in some cases it just happens in the spur of the moment. Its done for momentum swings, get your team riled up or simply for payback for another game or for people not to attack that teams stars. When both players fight they get sent to the penalty box for the same amount of time, but in some cases if someone clearly starts the fight they get a another 2 minute penalty.

Originally Posted by StrongMind3

can some one break down fighting in hockey for me?

1. when is it legal to do?

2. when is it too excessive?

3. was there more of it back in the day compared to now?

4. what happens at the end of the fight? do both players get sent to the box or does it depend on the situation?

5. and what is the point?
1. It's always legal to do.

2. It's never too excessive.

3. There was probably more fighting back in the day compared to now. Fighting happens much less during the playoffs when there is more on the line and players dont want to waste time in the penalty box when so much is at stake.

4. At the end of the fight, both players get sent to the penalty box for 5 minutes. Sometimes players get thrown out of the game.

5. Proponents argue 'its part of the game'. According to them, fighting is necessary so that players can police themselves, players can intimidate their opponents, players can 'fire' up their team mates. It also happens in the heat of the moment.

Another reason that fighting exists is because it attracts attention for the NHL.

Originally Posted by Numberr97

you guys sound like little girls.. you guys praise all of these other fights and all but in hockey its stupid right? I know its because no one likes hockey and hockey is stupid. Well guess what its part of the game. There's hitting involved and most fights usually start out to protect their star players or send the other team a message like in baseball when they throw the ball at one another.
Fighting isn't legal in any other team sport.

I'm sure you can agree that the most entertaining (and quality) hockey occurs during the playoffs and during international tournaments. In both cases, fighting is extremely rare. During the NHL playoffs, players dont want to hurt their teams by taking stupid penalties or by instigating fights so they are far less reckless. Fighting is not legal in international hockey. You can not make a logical argument that fighting is a necessary part of hockey. IMO it exists in North America because hockey simply isn't as popular as other sports so they let players fight because they know casual fans will tune in to watch it.

The Penguins, Cooke specifically, were targeting Kane cause he put a CLEAN, but big check on Crosby earlier in the game. That was deserved. And it was deserved because it was Cooke anyway.

appreciate you explaining that tevez...one more question.

is there a time limit to a fight? when does it end?

Originally Posted by bjm5295

The Penguins, Cooke specifically, were targeting Kane cause he put a CLEAN, but big check on Crosby earlier in the game. That was deserved. And it was deserved because it was Cooke anyway.
Yup....Pens were making runs at Kane all night....Guys like Guerin, Rupp, etc wanted Kane to drop the gloves because he hit Crosby earlier.  John Anderson (Atlanta's coach) was a bit peeved in his presser following the game because of how the Penguins were reacting.  I agree with him 100%.  If you're on the ice, you're going to get hit.  Doesn't matter if you're Sidney Crosby or a 4th line player.  Take this into consideration...Kane is only 18 years old and had 1 NHL fight before lighting up Cooke.  Cooke is a dirty bastard and he had this coming for a while.  I'm sure he'll get the key to the city of Boston later in the week. 

Fighting has been a part of hockey since it's inception.  Take it out of the game and you'll see a rise in stick infractions which are IMO MUCH worse.  Rarely do you have a player that gets KO'd like Cooke or seriously injured.  It does happen, but not as much as you all may think.  People aren't going to hockey games soley because of fights.  It's a GREAT sport to watch live, and it so happens to have this aspect of the game in it's makeup.  Momentum changes, things are policed, etc....yeah, the fighting does drastically decrease in the playoffs....but let's not act like it doesn't happen.  You can make an argument that the Pens wouldn't have won game 6 vs. the Flyers last year if Talbot doesn't take on Carcillo.  Pens were down 3-0, and the momentum TOTALLY changed in their favor following that scrap. 

And to address Carlos Tevez's claim about idiots skating around looking for fights....well, if you've noticed...the "goon" of yesteryear is starting to become extinct.  Teams are going to roll 4 lines with guys that can ALL chip in and make a play without using their fists.  However, you'll see more "skill" guys who can throw hands if need be.  Caps got rid of Brashear in the offseason because it didn't make sense to pay a guy 2 mil a year to play 6 minutes a game.  You replace Donald Brashear with guys like Scott Walker, Jason Chimera, Matt Bradley etc...and they are all more talented than him skill-wise.  They can all fight, but they bring more to the table.  The Caps aren't the only team who have started to phase out the goon.  Even guys like Dan Carcillo, Steve Downie, Chris Neil, etc.. have decent skill to put the puck in the net and make plays...

Fighting in hockey is exciting and is something that should NEVER be taken away from the sport.

Back
Top Bottom