Mature Nike Talkers check in...Life is Easy for these Youngins

Received this in an email. Sorry if some have seen it I thought it was good for a chuckle, not Lulz just a chuckle. Brought back some memories. Its funny cause my kids (15 and 9) have no clue to a life without cell phones, when you stop and think about it thats kind of weird.

If you are at least 30, or older (like most of us), you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways… yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!
But now that I'm over the ripe old age of at least thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a Utopia!
And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our a%#! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car.. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your %++ and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!
And car seats - oh, please! Mom t hr ew you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were luckily, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!
See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

Originally Posted by 3onPar5

If you are at least 30, or older (like most of us), you might think this is hilarious!

cho old !#% off Niketalk
laugh.gif

I like the way you signed it too as the over 30 crowd like yall the breakfast club... 23 btw and i only joke, in fact I'm sure when I'm 30 I'll still hit up NT from time to time but honestly I read ya entire post and you sound like a preachy old dude with the "back in my day" speech...

You just gotta realize that things change and things progress in some cases and in others they don't or just stay the same... u sound mad that you missed out on all the good stuff... I read the entire thread in the voice of Melvin/Ving Rhames in Baby Boy... whats the point of this thread?

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

cho old !#% off Niketalk
laugh.gif

I like the way you signed it too as the over 30 crowd like yall the breakfast club... 23 btw and i only joke, in fact I'm sure when I'm 30 I'll still hit up NT from time to time but honestly I read ya entire post and you sound like a preachy old dude with the "back in my day" speech...

You just gotta realize that things change and things progress in some cases and in others they don't or just stay the same... u sound mad that you missed out on all the good stuff... I read the entire thread in the voice of Melvin/Ving Rhames in Baby Boy... whats the point of this thread?

He probably copied and pasted it from somewhere. It's meant to be funny, get over yourself
laugh.gif

I like the way you signed it too as the over 30 crowd like yall the breakfast club... 23 btw but honestly I read ya entire post and you sound like a preachy old dude with the "back in my day" speech...

You just gotta realize that things change and things progress in some cases and in others they don't or just stay the same... u sound mad that you missed out on all the good stuff... I read the entire thread in the voice of Melvin/Ving Rhames in Baby Boy... whats the point of his thread?
roll.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] I agree with Brandon[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I'm sure by the time I'm 30+, my kids (If I even decide to bring any into this #++%*+ up society) will have it easier than me etc etc.[/color]

roll.gif

But anyway, kids do have it much easier. But i'd still rather grow up in the 80s/90s. cartoons, playing outside..ALL DAY...FTW

^What Nawth said.
He stated at the very beginning that he received this in an e-mail.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

He probably copied and pasted it from somewhere. It's meant to be funny, get over yourself
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]So because it's "meant to be funny" that means we can't have an opinion on it? [/color]
eyes.gif

In my country every 18+ male citizen have to pass military service, which is 1,5 years long, you cannot use use phone or internet first year, after 8months you get first vacation which is 5 days long. So everything u wrote about your childhood, thats normal.

Originally Posted by Frische Produkte

laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]So because it's "meant to be funny" that means we can't have an opinion on it? [/color]
eyes.gif

Nah but ol boy up there is acting like OP wrote that himself
laugh.gif
soundin like he's 80% NaCl instead of h2O

Yo I swear Niketalk's reading skills are the worst, the man stated at the very beginning that he got it as an email and wanted to share, its a joke, why are some of yall being but hurt about it?

Nawth21 wrote:
Brandon3000 wrote:
3onPar5 wrote:

cho old !#% off Niketalk
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Im one of the older nters, and i cosign a lil about what the oldhead said. My thing is it isnt the technology that would hurt these kids, its moreso the fact that alot of these youngins, no offense is well some punk arses. I mean you got stick up kids, dboys etc. Who aint doing it cause they in dire need(most come from middle class,upper middle class) they doing it for cool points/notoriety. Dudes that never been in a fight, or could use they hands if they life depended on it. They quit jobs, just cause of a lil hard work. Cant get chicks,talk to girls. Have to trick on them/meet them via social networks etc.  

laugh.gif
eyes.gif
Why would something that is meant to be a joke/light hearted/nostalgic and is not offensive to anyone warrant a serious 2 paragraph response?
eyes.gif

3onPar5 said:

cho old !#% off Niketalk
laugh.gif

roll.gif
Calm down everyone, its not that serious. I am 37 but I am also the worlds oldest 8th grader. I was not preaching, for me the EMAIL I RECEIVED, just brought back some memories. And trust me to those that say I am preaching...when you have kids you will be saying things similar to this.

Originally Posted by JDocs

laugh.gif
eyes.gif
Why would something that is meant to be a joke/light hearted/nostalgic and is not offensive to anyone warrant a serious 2 paragraph response?
eyes.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Why are you asking me? [/color]
grin.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] I didn't care enough to write a long post, but at the same time, someone can't have a lengthy opinion? Are you guys kidding me?[/color]
laugh.gif

lol .. so true .. i remember having just two pairs of shoe.. one for church and one for school.. these kids nowaday got more kicks than a sneaker store...

OP, that bit about the library and taping songs off the radio is On point!!! lol

Originally Posted by needsomejays

they'll be saying the same exact thing when they get to be your age

I disagree.

I was having this conversation with my old assistant (he's 22, ill be 30 in a few months) and discussing the whole "when i grew up" thing.  I feel that people born around my age (approx. 1977-1982) got to grow up in a time when there was a major shift in how life works.  The mass adoption and integration of the INTERNET into our lives.

My first experience with the Internet was in 1994 with AOL.  Prior to 1994, it was a different ballgame for me.  Like most adolescent boys, the pursuit of pr0n was quite the task.  Man... we had to put in WORK to get our hands on a dirty magazine or better yet... a VHS tape of some sort.  The introduction of the internet meant easy access to it.  And I'm not even talking about opening a web browser, typing in www.sex.com or whatever and getting instant access.  I'm talking about going on AOL and randomly "trading" gif's and jpegs with other random pervs in chatrooms and then showing em off to your friends on your 486 DX-II PC.

Internet made this generation soft.  They dont know the meaning of hard work since everything is available at your fingertips.

^I don't know if the internet made this gen soft...but a lot of the younger gen def have a "spoon fed" mentality...with little motivation to do things for themselves

Back
Top Bottom