Mature Topic: I envy other races on this topic = Family History.

Tracing another race's family history is a lot easier than a black person.

Pops and Grandpops passed and have no knowledge of family passed them. Moms side has little history beyond my great Grands. That's it. Anyone have anymethods of tracing African-American family history?
grin.gif

Blame slavery. The institution and its practices have made it damn near impossible for Black Americans to trace their ancestry.

I sooooooooooooo feel you on this.

I think the farthest back I know is a slave named Uncle___ ( I wanna say 'Buck') who could read. Records was shady, fires, etc. stuff's ALL bad

and Time---I trust you know what 'Sankofa' means.....

Can't figure out where you are going until you know where you came from.

Identity/family history are important aspects to one's life. Good luck with your research.

My grandfathers grandfather on my moms side immigrated from the Carribeans sometime back. My pops is DR.

About all I know.

I honestly don't care about the past tho'...making moves from the present day ftw.

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

Identity/family history are important aspects to one's life. Good luck with your research.
co-sign I would like to know where my heritage lies my pops dad was creole and the ninja off himself so aint no telling
eyes.gif
my mom never knew her pops either and grandma really don't speak on thisstuff

Originally Posted by Keithahundred

co-sign I would like to know where my heritage lies my pops dad was creole and the ninja off himself so aint no telling
eyes.gif
my mom never knew her pops either and grandma really don't speak on this stuff
Damn B, you should really ask. I been trying so I can get that info to pass to generations for the future.

What about distant relatives? Am sure your moms might have met some of them.
Try facebook too will be surprised how many people you might find. Good luck man!

Don't really care about my history although 40% of my home city and the foundational CORE of my city [Edmonton] shares my last name
GARNEAU

SMH. That has to be one of the most frustrating feelings.
My condolences to all Black Americans.

And for those who say that history doesn't matter and what not.
The Black American not knowing their own heritage is one of the biggest problems that plays into why Black Americans are the way they are now. Theres a reasonwhy blacks from Africa and other places do better in school and other aspects of American life in relation to their American counterparts. And family haseverything to do with it.
But of course you cannot be blamed for trying to start your own history from now on and most definitely deserve to.

Wow, europeans really succeeded in destroying the black family in America. SMH. Dispicable.

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Originally Posted by Keithahundred

eyes.gif
my mom never knew her pops either and grandma really don't speak on this stuff
Damn B, you should really ask. I been trying so I can get that info to pass to generations for the future.
even if I did I doubt she tell me or anybody else....she keep a lot of things under wraps
ohwell.gif
we don't even know how old she is
laugh.gif
.....my last name is default as hell...my pops mama just gave him her last nameat the time

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

Originally Posted by I Drink Your Milkshake

I sooooooooooooo feel you on this.

I think the farthest back I know is a slave named Uncle___ ( I wanna say 'Buck') who could read. Records was shady, fires, etc. stuff's ALL bad

and Time---I trust you know what 'Sankofa' means.....
yea i feel u... i already been thru it and got stuck so i said +$*+ it... ill make the history in my family...

hey there's someone with the right attitude

I think you can hire someone. We are having a family reunion later this year. They traced us back to the 1800s hundreds I believe. I always though the fam wassmall. Turns out we were spread out like mayo.

I think I mentioned it before but my family was able to keep their last name and I actually know quite a bit about my family history
pimp.gif

but family history is overrated...

indifferent.gif

I was thinking about this the other day when I saw a commercial about tracing family history.
ohwell.gif

overrated? really, why?
i don't understand that.

on another note, some of those websites are pretty decent. i got familiar with a few working on a project.

knowing your family history and who is kin to you is important....thats why you got folk out here marrying their sisters and shhh
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Ajwings23

What about distant relatives? Am sure your moms might have met some of them.
Try facebook too will be surprised how many people you might find. Good luck man!
So what should I do? Just search my Last Name on Facebook?

And what do I do in the library? What does this program do?

There's also research organizations you can pay to help you with it. I know there's one nter who did that I think he said he pays a yearly fee and itsworth it.

I'm taking a class on this right now (Black Genealogy)

Traced my family back to the white slave owner (raper) and i'm in the process of getting the actual info about the African slaveship that docked myforefather in the Caribbean.

You would be amazed at the resources at your disposal to do this kind of research.

Slave Records
US census records
British records of slaves ships that docked in the Caribbean and their "cargo" ( PRO UK)
Mormons have the largest depository of genealogical information in the world and most likely your family.
N.A.R.A

Its eye-opening stuff.

Basically half of black American/Caribbean males have a European male as an ancestor due to rape. That cuts many off our paternal heritage lines short butgenetic testing can actually show you the part of Africa that your people originated from. Wild stuff.

Originally Posted by Elocin023

overrated? really, why?
i don't understand that.

on another note, some of those websites are pretty decent. i got familiar with a few working on a project.
i mean its overrated in the sense that its not gonna help me be a better person or get further in life... sounds selfish but thats honestly all i care about right now... gotta make sure the future is good... thats the only thing that we can change/control... history is cool i guess but i never really saw the big deal... both general history and family...
So because something "won't make you a better person or help you get further in life" (like.......NikeTalk which you are wastingyour time on now) it is overrated? Anything called curiosity exist to you?

Originally Posted by Elocin023

overrated? really, why?
i don't understand that.

i mean its overrated in the sense that its not gonna help me be a better person or get further in life... sounds selfish but thats honestly all i care about right now... gotta make sure the future is good... thats the only thing that we can change/control... history is cool i guess but i never really saw the big deal... both general history and family...
You'd be surprised about the things you learn about your family when doing this type of research.

For all you know you could be related to Quincy Jones or have an ancestor that helped shape history.

Back
Top Bottom