Mechanics / Car Knowledgable Heads, HELP A BROTHA OUT

Whatsup NT.. today was a very long day for my household when it comes to cars. My Mom's BMW had to get towed from the house because it wasn't starting.. my question pertains to my car though.

It's a long story, and I'll be grateful to anyone who can maybe help me out with this..

Spoiler [+]
My car is a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L with Automatic Transmission.. my Mom had a new transmission put in maybe 2 or 3 years ago, but there were a couple of problems hitting me today that maybe you can help me with. It's urgent.

While driving today, I was making a right turn and was gassing after completing it. A bump in the road was hit while I was gassing, and my Jeep immediately began to give a squealing noise. Anytime I hit the gas I got that squeal noise. It almost sounded like a belt squeal, but after listening to it I could tell it wasn't coming from the engine. It was coming from underneath the car.. I took it behind a local store that had a long stretch, and began gassing. After a couple of seconds, the squeaking only occurred when was gassing and really trying to speed up.

I drove my car to a local part shop because at this time all the actual car shops are closed. (They close at 6. -_____- ) Anyways, I asked some dude inside if he could check my car out and he said sure. I started it for him, and at first it wasn't there. It then slowly began coming in and growing louder. He got under the car and told me that the squealing was coming from somewhere around my transmission and something about a "4 block"? (I don't know cars, my bad. ) He was sure it wasn't my engine or any of the belts. The noise got really really loud and he told me to switch gears. I went into different gears and realized that it only made the noise in D. Everything else was fine..

I pulled my car off to the side and called my friend to see if he could look at it. While waiting for him, I started my car and put it into 4 wheel drive (I know that doing this would mess with the transmission in some way, so I wanted to see if it made the noise while in 4 wheel drive. ) I drove it around in 4WD, and to my surprise, there was no noise. I put my car back into 2WD and parked it. I waited a few minutes more, and my friend showed up. He came out, and when I started my car, the noise was gone. I even had him get in and I drove up the street gassing more than usual to see if it made the noise like behind the store, but it didn't.

My friend said it might be the clutch, and that hopefully it reset or something and it would be fine. I haven't gotten my ****** oil flushed in a long time and he told me to get that done ASAP.. I'm aiming to get it done in the morning.

The other main issue was something that happened before. After my friend left, I drove my car to Wendy's to go get something to eat, parked it and we went inside. I ate and came back outside to go home, but when I turned my key in the ignition, the car didn't jump. At all. The battery turned on fine, but the car didn't jump. I sat there in disbelief thinking "What the hell is going on.." and called my friend again. He answered the phone and I tell him my car won't start, it won't even jump. He replies with "Are you @#$#$$@% kidding me.." in the worried kind of way. He said he was on his way.

I popped the hood up and let it air out for a bit while I waited (literally about 3 or 4 minutes), and then tried to start it again. It had a little trouble.. gave me a low chugging noise and then started. This has happened before (the chugging and not starting), only it's a step further now because it wasn't responding AT ALL when I turned the key in the ignition. Before when it happened it would at least chug then just stop.

Any wise words of help, NT? Anybody maybe know what's going on?

I'd sign up for one of the Jeep forums and ask around or check for the common problems with your type of wrangler.
It's either a TJ or a YJ. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by Duckness

I'd sign up for one of the Jeep forums and ask around or check for the common problems with your type of wrangler.

The part that gets me though, is that Jeeps (especially ones like mine) are made for off roading, I am completely surprised that a bump like this would jack up whatever it did.
indifferent.gif

NOT TO THREADJACK

but my fam got a 05 ford explorer in the backyard real clean, been there for the past 2 months i just to know is there any damage the car can take from just sitting like do i have to disconnect the battery or something should i get a car cover, imma let that baby sit there till my 4 runner cant no more

Originally Posted by spizike231

The part that gets me though, is that Jeeps (especially ones like mine) are made for off roading, I am completely surprised that a bump like this would jack up whatever it did.
indifferent.gif
Not all jeeps are made for off road, and many aren't any more.  If you want to offroad in a jeep you need to put more money into them to beef them up a bit.
More on topic, when was the last time the transmission's oil was changed?

Originally Posted by Lalph Rauren

NOT TO THREADJACK

but my fam got a 05 ford explorer in the backyard real clean, been there for the past 2 months i just to know is there any damage the car can take from just sitting like do i have to disconnect the battery or something should i get a car cover, imma let that baby sit there till my 4 runner cant no more

Disconnect the battery and either drive it or siphon gas out until it's at or under 1/4 of a tank.  Then add gas stabilizer.  If there are trees around get a car cover or a tarp, you might want to get one anyways to prevent damage from the sun as well, but make sure to air it out to prevent mildew, mold, and moss.
edit: You may want to move it around a little from time to time as if it sits too long in the same positions the tires will flatten on the side in contact with the ground.  That will usually correct itself the next time the tires get warm, but it's a bumpy ride until then 
laugh.gif

The other main issue was something that happened before. After my friend left, I drove my car to Wendy's to go get something to eat, parked it and we went inside. I ate and came back outside to go home, but when I turned my key in the ignition, the car didn't jump. At all. The battery turned on fine, but the car didn't jump. I sat there in disbelief thinking "What the hell is going on.." and called my friend again. He answered the phone and I tell him my car won't start, it won't even jump. He replies with "Are you @#$#$$@% kidding me.." in the worried kind of way. He said he was on his way.

I popped the hood up and let it air out for a bit while I waited (literally about 3 or 4 minutes), and then tried to start it again. It had a little trouble.. gave me a low chugging noise and then started. This has happened before (the chugging and not starting), only it's a step further now because it wasn't responding AT ALL when I turned the key in the ignition. Before when it happened it would at least chug then just stop.
I can't speak on the first issue because I know nothing of modern automatic Jeep ******s, but the second one sounds like a MAF (mass air flow) sensor or a spark issue.
Generally if you're getting power but no ignition it's because of a dead alternator, but that's not your issue since you said it was chugging and not grinding.

If it's chugging, it could be because your sensor is saying "Hey, I've got a lot of effin' fuel in here, and we need to turn this block over" to the computer, and the computer says "Well %$%#, we're not moving and we need to be so here's a bunch of air," and it tries to turn over the motor from dead to firing with too much going on. If the sensor is bad, it's giving a false reading which is why it won't turn over at all, but then may turn over after you've tried to start it once before. Or I could be wrong and you could have a Jeep Gnome running up in there. Iono.

Originally Posted by Credo

indifferent.gif
Not all jeeps are made for off road, and many aren't any more.  If you want to offroad in a jeep you need to put more money into them to beef them up a bit.

Yeah but even with that said I don't think a bump in a road should mess up anything on a jeep.. Not rightfully anyways.And I honestly don't think it's been changed since we got the new transmission..

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

I can't speak on the first issue because I know nothing of modern automatic Jeep ******s, but the second one sounds like a MAF (mass air flow) sensor or a spark issue.
Generally if you're getting power but no ignition it's because of a dead alternator, but that's not your issue since you said it was chugging and not grinding.

If it's chugging, it could be because your sensor is saying "Hey, I've got a lot of effin' fuel in here, and we need to turn this block over" to the computer, and the computer says "Well %$%#, we're not moving and we need to be so here's a bunch of air," and it tries to turn over the motor from dead to firing with too much going on. If the sensor is bad, it's giving a false reading which is why it won't turn over at all, but then may turn over after you've tried to start it once before. Or I could be wrong and you could have a Jeep Gnome running up in there. Iono.

If its a Jeep gnome, that's fine. I'll just pop open the hood and put that mother #);@&( on my lawn as a trophy.

Have you tried tightening the screw that goes on the side of your engine? Mine was doing the same thing. I can't member what the part is called right now :/ the one that holds the belts together...

Originally Posted by Credo

indifferent.gif

Yeah but even with that said I don't think a bump in a road should mess up anything on a jeep.. Not rightfully anyways.And I honestly don't think it's been changed since we got the new transmission..
Try replacing the oil and maybe the filter if you want and see what that yields.  The only other options really, if it's coming from you transmission, is to tear the transmission apart...and that's not cheap.

1st issue is probably your flex pipe. You probably knocked it when you made that turn.
2nd issue might be a battery that's starting to die. Especially since its chugging. Now if all you heard was a click, that could possibly be your starter. Or like someone already posted, it could be your alternator giving out. Take it to autozone and they'll test your battery for you.

Back
Top Bottom