Median Income In Newport Beach, CA Is $123,958; In Reading, PA: $28,098

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by smallBALL5

its all relative. I be cost of living is even a larger disparity than income. where median cost of house in newport is 800,000 and in reading something like 100,000. so people in newport are not that much more well off than people from Reading as you think.
laugh.gif
You cannot be serious. At 28K/ year you're barely scraping by no matter where you live. I guarantee you that if you're living in an 800,000 house, you're not worried about feeding your family. There are places in Orange County that have way lower housing prices.

i don't get what the point is. newport is probably one of the most expensive cities in america to live in. so of course the average income is going to be a lot higher than some dump on the east coast or midwest.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

its all relative. I be cost of living is even a larger disparity than income. where median cost of house in newport is 800,000 and in reading something like 100,000. so people in newport are not that much more well off than people from Reading as you think.
laugh.gif
You cannot be serious. At 28K/ year you're barely scraping by no matter where you live. I guarantee you that if you're living in an 800,000 house, you're not worried about feeding your family. There are places in Orange County that have way lower housing prices.
Maybe for a family, but a single person making 28K a year is doing way better than scraping in many parts of America. I swear every NT'er must have been born with a platinum spoon...

A 3br house in stl would be anywhere from 100k-200k....in cali...they would be 500k-600k. Believe me....in the end...everything balances out to be the same or similar.
Plus here in Cali food and gas is expensive.

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

laugh.gif
Maybe for a family, but a single person making 28K a year is doing way better than scraping in many parts of America. I swear every NT'er must have been born with a platinum spoon...
Doing way better than scraping in many parts of America? Where?
I went to school in one of the cheapest 'cost of living' cities in the US and 28k is def grazing the bottom of the barrel if it's not scraping.
laugh.gif

Some things are relative in price while others are not. Are TV's more expensive for folks in Newport? If a buyer from Newport wants to buy a new car, does he have to pay a 50% premium on it as opposed to a buyer from Topeka, KA? If an individual in Newport makes 200k does he have to pay double the sales tax of another resident of Newport who only makes 80k? As more and more goods are sold on line, prices will eventually normalize for virtually every single good that is easily transportable.

It' not as easy as saying, "cost of living" evens things out. It tightens the gap in relative terms but it by no means evens things out.

NYC is the most expensive city to live in ( it's not a game out here
laugh.gif
) , yet it's 60th in median income.

such statisticians are stupid.

one high net worth individual just throws off the whole thing
laugh.gif

That's why you use "median household income" ...?

Originally Posted by airkeung88

time to move to the west.
Not even, homeboy. Stay where you are.
laugh.gif

One city in Orange County does not reflect anywhere near the entire region of Southern Cali.

At the end of the day, the state's debt and unemployment rate is still ugly.
tired.gif

I took a look at the list and I thought there was something wrong with it because it listed my city ahead of some of the cities nearby that are definitely wealthier. I live in silver spring,md and we are ranked like 46th.

Anyway I saw peoples comments and one guy made a good point...
You cannot compare median incomes of a city to another city without stratifying the population of the listed cities into a minimum of a 20 stratification. Then you must stratify the populations in the stratification.

For example, I live in Gainesville, Florida. The list shows a population of 120,849. It does not tell you that 49,000 of the people living there are students of the U of F,  spouses and kids. Every 39 months this portion of the population turns over. They have very little income if any at all during that period, but they are in the numbers for this post.

You can only compare your city to similar cities

Back
Top Bottom