Medical School Class of 2013

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by solefulJs

Graduating medical school with zero debt would be amazing.

I'll be carrying about 200,000+. And this is why I'll be specializing.
i'm going to come out of law school with at least $170,000. and that's just three years.
Good luck to you pimp. Its rough out there for lawyer.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

Originally Posted by Grand 0ld Party

You killed it Grand Ole Party congrats.

thanks, im hoping i get into uconn so i can graduate with no debt. if i dont get in there id like to go somewhere in the city
Yeah that would be huge. I am unfortunately graduating with over 200K in debt but its an investment that is well worth it to me.

How do you sleep at night? Props anyway.
He's gonna be a doctor he'll pay it off...all/most doctor's do but
sick.gif
nonetheless. Average debt

[h3]Student debt statistics[/h3]
  • $139,517 - According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, the average educational debt of indebted graduates of the class of 2007. The average debt of graduating medical students increased in 2007 by 6.9 percent over the previous year.
  • 75.5 percent of graduates have debt of at least $100,000
  • 87.6 percent of graduating medical students carry outstanding loans
You were ODing, where you buying kicks with your loan money?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Maybe I should go to USUHS
I definitely wasnt ODing in fact they only allow you to borrow what the school feels your tuition and cost of living expenses should be. That 139kaverage is low because some people have parents who pay for it all so they have zero debt, others who may be lucky enough to attend their instate schools sohave a much lower cost of tuition, or even some who go the military route so they also dont have debt. Almost everyone in my class is coming out with around200K in debt.

30 definitely isnt old. I am just about to start my Radiology residency which is 5 years plus another year of fellowship so by the time I finish I will be mid30's.

Good luck with Ortho AntonLaVey. I was gonna do ortho forever until I found Rads, and neurosurgery well that takes a very special type of person you almosthave to want it more than life itself.

Originally Posted by Hodog16

I did zero calculus in medical school, that's strictly for pre-med/MCAT stuff. Don't let math deter you from being a doctor.

I finished my pediatrics residency in June 08 and passed my pediatric boards. Almost done with first year of fellowship in pediatric cardiology.

DaJoka: I was in a similar situation to you in terms of having a good/cheap place to go but holding out for waitlists. It all worked out in the end, and thanks to the cheap medical school I have zero debt
happy.gif
No effing way. I know I am definitely doing peds. And for the past year I've been shadowing in a peds card clinic here. I love it.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by RKO2004

How long do you have to go to school to be a pediatrician? I'm asking for a friend.
4 years of med school and 3-4 years of residency????? so 7-8 years?

eek.gif
So basically your about 30 when your done
sick.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You think that's bad?

Orthopedic surgery is 5-6 years + fellowships
Neurosurgery is 6-7 years

I'm gonna be in "school" forever
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

BDW 30+ is young for a fully licensed physician.
No wonder why we need more people in the medical field
laugh.gif
.Is there anyway to shrink the years? Wow. Kudos to those who can go through that.
pimp.gif

Going through the Step 1 Hell hole right now.....any advise or is the gold standard Goljan, FA and Uworld/ Kaplan qbank......I want to get atleast a 240.

Originally Posted by SlimK4

Going through the Step 1 Hell hole right now.....any advise or is the gold standard Goljan, FA and Uworld/ Kaplan qbank......I want to get atleast a 240.
SlimK4- Thats all I can see you needing. It got me above what you want.

I'm working with that plus rapid review physiology FA as a preread. Listening to goljan and adding notes to FA. Reading RR and adding notes to FA. 50questions from qbank a night. 8-10 hours per day for the next 5 weeks. June 17 can't come any sooner

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

I'm working with that plus rapid review physiology FA as a preread. Listening to goljan and adding notes to FA. Reading RR and adding notes to FA. 50 questions from qbank a night. 8-10 hours per day for the next 5 weeks. June 17 can't come any sooner
Thats good. I would listen to golijan as many times as you can and wherever you can. In the car etc etc. He got me some questions right that Iprobably would of never found in a review book or remembered from reading it. Also as the date gets closer I would recommend bumping up the # of questions youdo a day to like 200 and reading less of the review books. You should also take as many of NBME sample tests as you can afford. Probably good to take one nowtoo see where you stand and maybe one every week or week and a half. They underpredicted my highest practice score by about 15 points but for most of myclassmates it was in the 5-10 pt range, so fairly accurate.

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

I'm working with that plus rapid review physiology FA as a preread. Listening to goljan and adding notes to FA. Reading RR and adding notes to FA. 50 questions from qbank a night. 8-10 hours per day for the next 5 weeks. June 17 can't come any sooner
Thats good. I would listen to golijan as many times as you can and wherever you can. In the car etc etc. He got me some questions right that I probably would of never found in a review book or remembered from reading it. Also as the date gets closer I would recommend bumping up the # of questions you do a day to like 200 and reading less of the review books. You should also take as many of NBME sample tests as you can afford. Probably good to take one now too see where you stand and maybe one every week or week and a half. They underpredicted my highest practice score by about 15 points but for most of my classmates it was in the 5-10 pt range, so fairly accurate.
I know you only have on average a month to study for the boards, what would you recommend me doing ahead of time in preparation. Iwant a really good score if I'm going to get into a competitive specialty (thinking ortho or anatomical pathology). Should i listen to those CDs just topermanently brand some of that high yield information into my memory as early as possible? And how important is research in getting a specialty. This issomething I'm genuinely interested in, I'm currently doing research and getting published. How much weight does this carry in residency apps?

from speaking to several directors of residency programs they love research in their field. i started looking at first aid during spring semester. looking backat stuff from first year and fall of second year. in addition to use it to study for my upcoming tests. i only recently started listening to goljan'slectures but many of my classmates have been doing so all year. i honestly think the best early preparation is to study hard and do your best in your courses.

If you havent covered the material in classes its kind of pointless to try and just listen to it as it will most likely mean nothing to you as you will nothave the foundation of knowledge. The best thing you can do is excel in all your courses and try to actually learn and retain the material rather than justlearning it for an exam, cause it will be no good to you come Step time if you only retained it in short term memory.

As far as research it really depends on the specialty but for something like ortho its almost vital that you have some research, and even better if it getspublished. It also somewhat depneds on where you are trying to do your residency. Some of the bigger named institutions academically driven programs look forresearch alot more than your avg community based program.

If you havent covered the material in classes its kind of pointless to try and just listen to it as it will most likely mean nothing to you as you will not have the foundation of knowledge. The best thing you can do is excel in all your courses and try to actually learn and retain the material rather than just learning it for an exam, cause it will be no good to you come Step time if you only retained it in short term memory.

As far as research it really depends on the specialty but for something like ortho its almost vital that you have some research, and even better if it gets published. It also somewhat depneds on where you are trying to do your residency. Some of the bigger named institutions academically driven programs look for research alot more than your avg community based program.
I just completed a rigorous Biomedical sciences Masters that covered many of those first year med school courses(biochem, medical phys, anatomy,neuro, behavioral, micro, immuno etc.....my foundation in the basic sciences is pretty solid with the exception of (pathophysiology, pharmacology and clinicalmedicine). In theory I will be repeating when I take these courses in med school it should be a review. But I'll take ur advice on actually learning thematerial rather than studying for a grade...which I do a lot
ohwell.gif

as far as research goes, I'll try to get something during my clerkship years after step 1.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by Hodog16

I did zero calculus in medical school, that's strictly for pre-med/MCAT stuff. Don't let math deter you from being a doctor.

I finished my pediatrics residency in June 08 and passed my pediatric boards. Almost done with first year of fellowship in pediatric cardiology.

DaJoka: I was in a similar situation to you in terms of having a good/cheap place to go but holding out for waitlists. It all worked out in the end, and thanks to the cheap medical school I have zero debt
happy.gif
No effing way. I know I am definitely doing peds. And for the past year I've been shadowing in a peds card clinic here. I love it.
Nice, we'll have to keep in touch then. Peds is relatively easy to get into, but can be competitive if you want to go to the high powerprograms (i.e. CHOP, Boston Children's, Baylor, etc). Peds cards is one of the more competitive pediatric fellowships along with peds ED, and I guessallergy/immunology since you compete with IM people too.

Originally Posted by Grand 0ld Party

You killed it Grand Ole Party congrats.

thanks, im hoping i get into uconn so i can graduate with no debt. if i dont get in there id like to go somewhere in the city
Yeah that would be huge. I am unfortunately graduating with over 200K in debt but its an investment that is well worth it to me.
It's an excellent investment. Don't ever let someone make you think otherwise.

Sorry to gravedig, but I just wanted to share that I got into the MD/PhD program at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Good luck to everyone elsestarting med school!

Hopefully in 3 years I can come in here and utter the same things.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Edit: btw, how hard is it to get into emergency/icu residency?

Originally Posted by RC103DC

Sorry to gravedig, but I just wanted to share that I got into the MD/PhD program at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Good luck to everyone else starting med school!

That's in New York, right?
I was born at the Albert Einstein Hospital in the Bronx, that's why I'm asking.

how's first year going for everybody? what are y'all's summer plans? i don't know whether or not i should do a preceptorship or research..

Back
Top Bottom