Medicine for Melancholy (film about 2 Black hipsters in SF)

laugh.gif
The guy in this movie had me weak. If you like random/dorky comedy, check it out. I watched it online but the quality was poor and didn't do the SF landscape justice; gotta rent the DVD.

this reminded me a lot of Annie Hall and (500) Days Of Summer when i saw it. Good movie. Maybe could have gotten the acclaim that (500) did if marketed differently

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

Ill check it out just cus its SF.
Yeah, lots of good shots of the city. That was the only reason I checked it out initially, but the movie was pretty chill.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

this reminded me a lot of Annie Hall and (500) Days Of Summer when i saw it. Good movie. Maybe could have gotten the acclaim that (500) did if marketed differently
Same here. It's a really good movie though, it sucks that movies that depict black people positively the way this movie did don't get as much attention as the movies that continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes of black people.

Originally Posted by eghckk

Same here. It's a really good movie though, it sucks that movies that depict black people positively the way this movie did don't get as much attention as the movies that continue to perpetuate negative stereotypes of black people.
I.E. Precious

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Originally Posted by eghckk

I.E. Precious
First of all the movie looks really good, definitely gotta catch it. And in reference to the above comments:
Although there is no denying that movies with black stereotypes tend to get more attention (that spelling bee movie vs. those ******ed tyler perry joints,)
I'm going to play devils advocate and say that that is not the case when it comes to this movie vs. precious. From the looks of it this movie is "indie" and probably didn't have a budget
like Precious did. Precious had a good amount of marketing, it had Mo'nique and Mariah Carey, and the director is well known. Marketing and reception are two different things..

I don't know too much about the specifics surrounding the two films, so I can't be sure, but Precious is the type of movie that catches the interest of people/critics. It's something out of the ordinary and based on a novel/real story, not to mention it was pretty amazing in cinematography (is that a word lol). Although this Melancholy" movie looks dope, its not some revolutionary idea, no shock value, as well as the aforementioned points about marketing and whatnot. Just my two cents/

Looks pretty interesting. Looking for now...As I doubt I can find this in my local market.

I'll check this out.

I wish they would make more movies like this that aren't of the corny "Why Did I Get Married?" or "Brown Sugar" vein.

It seems like when Hollywood tries to make a decent movie about black people, they always have the same cast/plot/level of corniness.

Back
Top Bottom