meet Terrence Wise, a 36 year old, 2nd-generation fast-food worker

Discussion in 'General' started by seasoned vet, Oct 17, 2015.

1. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

Terrence Wise is a 36-year-old, 2nd-generation fast-food worker. He's been in the industry for nearly two decades and works two jobs. He makes only $8 per hour. His fiancé is a home health care worker. She's been in the industry for 12 years. She makes just $10 per hour.
    Watch Terrence tell his story about why he's fighting for a better, fairer workplace.

go.wh.gov/WorkerVoice #StartTheConvo

first 3 minutes of the 30 minute video

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. jchambers

jchambers Banned

3. al audi

al audi Banned

Video is 31 mins so I didn't watch but I mean......c'mon. Even if you just have a diploma you can do better. I know a felon who makes more than that working food service. Like I don't get it....

I knew a bus boy that was working a Seafood restaurant on the CT shoreline and brought in good cash. I can go on and on, how do you accept that?

Got a friend right now no college degree making huge money in sales. Maybe I'm naive?

4. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Didn't watch yet, so maybe i'm jumping the gun, but unless he has some health restrictions, tough to be empathetic to someone that's been on this earth for that long and hasn't even tried to figure it out.

5. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

the OG video is only 3 minutes posted to the official White House facebook, however Huddler will only embed youtube and vimeo so i had to snag the full 30 minute video from youtube in order to post it.

me knowing NT, once doods see the 30minutes pop up they hit the tl;dw

what i dont understand is the cry for free education in situations like his when Pell Grant exists

there are plenty of certification type degrees where you can make well over minimum wage

his fiance has been a CNA for 12 years
    it only takes a 2 week class to become a CNA

cmon now

crcballer55 likes this.
  6. jape

jape

will not celebrate this underachievement 

why does he get to meet the president?

crcballer55 likes this.
  7. aNYone

aNYone

Is he at least a manager.

8. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

they're using him as a poster child to start the conversation of raising the minimum wage

imo his story and stories like his hurt the cause

joe cool, chewie and crcballer55 like this.
  9. jape

jape

oh ok and agreed.

10. friscostylez

friscostylez

Yeah man I didn't want to sound insensitive but I agree 100%. I know minimum wage is supposed to be the wage that supports a family but its not anymore. People gotta adapt and adjust with the times. I know he has 3 kids but man he should have figured out something long ago. I know felons and people with no or only hs diplomas who make more than minimum wage. The one thing they all had in common is that they straight up know their strengths and hustle to improve their situation.

Dude should look into gaining skills that pays more than minimum wage such as being a barber, plumber, construction, etc. I mean i know its hard but dude has try something new. I don't think he's lazy, but I don't think he's a thinker or risk taker. If what you're doing hasn't worked for decades (his mom was/is in the same industry) then you have to step out of your comfort zone and think of something new.

joe cool likes this.
  11. boris

boris

I'm curious how you learn new skills when you're working two jobs and trying to support a family. I'm guessing he doesn't really have the flexibility to just step away and learn some classes here and there. 

12. jape

jape

welp he shouldve learned from his mother's situation that fast food industry isn't a good career choice.  

im sorry but he is just dumb.

13. seasoned vet

seasoned vet

its extremely difficult but not impossible

my wife had 2 jobs as an LPN while going to school to get her RN

you gotta do what you gotta do

he made his bed
    he has to lay in it

thats why its not wise to have, not 1, not 2, but 3 kids on minimum wage pay
    you end up boxing yourself in

but because you boxed yourself in doesnt mean someone should just give you something

joe cool, caleb4god and daytona 5000 like this.
  14. friscostylez

friscostylez

Im curious but have you never heard of people working, going to school and raising kids? I know its difficult but time management and being strategic are the keys.

There are 168 hours in a week. Im the type that is active about solving my problems rather than complaining and hoping for a hand out.

15. boris

boris

You're assuming he makes enough to both raise his family and go to school. It says he's been working in the fast-food industry for two decades, so it doesn't sound like he's sitting around asking for a handout. He should just shut his mouth and not highlight the issues within the U.S.? 

trunks206 likes this.
  16. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

I've seen it done, and have done similar. No doubt it's tough, but when children are involved you do what you have to to secure a future for them.

17. jape

jape

no but it sounds like hes an idiot. 

maybe he should shut his mouth and look for a better job.

minimum wage doesn't pay enough yet he's stayed at a minum wage job for 20 years...sounds legit.

lets all have to pay higher prices so this guy can be happy working at mcdonalds

18. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

UPS, sales, retail etc, there are other jobs out there that would pay a bit more and work out to better than he makes with the two mininum wage jobs. He doesn't have to stop his world and start learning something new, but there are ways. Not that this guy has this mentality, but he reminds me of the many who are ok with mediocrity, taking orders and being a part of the plebian class. Minimum wage is a travesty, it's not liveable at all, but help the cause by using instances of those who are truly stuck, not this eloquent, able bodied young gentleman.

19. hugheyfreeman

hugheyfreeman

Sounds like you got a degree. Yeah I've seen plenty of people who work and go to school with kids, he probably didn't have the drive to do it.

Plus I don't have a degree , and I'm definitely making more than he probably is with 2 jobs.

20. al audi

al audi Banned

exactly, my girl knows somebody who did this and because of her low pay and having a kid i think she got some help with going to school also, compared to other students.

i dont feel bad, i feel embarrased for him for many reasons :\