meet Terrence Wise, a 36 year old, 2nd-generation fast-food worker

Nobody CHOOSEs to be poor, but people made other decisions that lead them there.
still a huge over simplification. these people are products of their environment and this environment breeds people that dont value education which leads to what we see as poor decision making skills but within the context of their own lives and their own environment thats every day behavior. 

But for every person that was a product of their enviroment, there another from that same enviroment that got their **** together. Its not like NO ONE ever makes it out the hood without sports or music.

Its all about choices.

This entire conversation is jus good ol fashion American entitlement.

Person A should be able to live the same way Person B lives without any of the work put in because...its unfair.

If you don't understand why you make minimum wage at a fast food restaurant, you don't deserve any more money.
lmao @ asking for the minimum wage to live being entitled

Don't know what emotional scars you get from joining the military but you getting health care plus a 4 year degree paid for from uncle Sam looks good to me.

Don't think you are getting that for sucking on couple ***** for the camera.

So shoiting and being shot at wont leave you emotionally scarred

Being a way from home while the world goes on with you wont leave you emotionally scarred

Get gang raped by one of your higher ups wont leave you emotionally scared

Having to save or watch a friend get blown up or die wont leave you emotionally scarred

Losing a limb to ieds wont leave you emotionally scarred

My comparisons are that both insistry tell you good things to get you in but dont necessarily pay back those who do the work
All them scenarios are a low percentage to happen besides being shot at. When the military goes on missions it's to outnumber the enemy. Rarely is the common soldier be going out on a mission with just four people.

And being away from home is part of the job suck it up and keep it moving. It does suck to be away from family and friends while deployed but it also what helps keep you strong while you are gone.

But for every person that was a product of their enviroment, there another from that same enviroment that got their **** together. Its not like NO ONE ever makes it out the hood without sports or music.

Its all about choices.
outliers. the large majority of people are born, live and die in the same socioeconomic class. if it was the other way around and the large majority of people were able to make it out then yes youd have an argument there but thats not the case and the overwhelming majority dont. to me thats indicative of a problem with the system. those that make it out are exceptions, not the rule. being generationally poor puts a cage around your mind.

Last edited:
Who are the people that should be working in the fast food or service industry, that should be comfortable making $8 an hour? Besides students.....

Like what America do you guys live in where there is an overflow of jobs in ever US city and no need for workers in the lower wage industries?

If everyone had the mentality that they will not "settle" for minimum wage jobs, who the hell is going to do that type of work?

That's what I dont get. Like you guys are all talking about they should better themselves and do more... if everybody is doing more then who is left to do less?

Cuz the "less" are still needed, right? How do we have it both ways?
 BOOM

/thread

Double posting but I want to post this too.

http://livingwage.mit.edu/

this site proves my point

none of those figure take account for the many welfare programs available

the housing figures dong account for low income apartment rates.
low income apartments are less than $100/month for NICE apartments

the food figure isnt accounting for SNAP type programs, where people have so much money stacked up they sell it for cash.

transportation is no where near accurate.
$400-800/mo car note?
on minimum wage?
stop.

if that chart isnt a clear indication having kids on minimum wage is a mistake, i dont know what more can be said

a local (liberal) radio station here posed the question if you're on minimum wage/ welfare should you not have kids

you wouldnt believe how many pissed off people called in to say "but thats my god given right, to be fruitful and multiply"

yeah its your right

its also your right to stuggle and starve

I have to help a family member afford groceries and electricity because she makes too much to get benefits, and not enough to make all bills on time. She does not use credit cards, nor does she spend frivolously.

She is employed in a salary position for the US government.

The transportation section is based on more factors than a car note. Read the breakdown.

http://livingwage.mit.edu/resources/Living-User-Guide-and-Technical-Notes-2014.pdf

Transportation.18 The transportation component is constructed using 2013 national expenditure data by household size from the 2014 Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Expenditure Survey including: (1) Cars and trucks (used), (2) gasoline and motor oil, (3) other vehicle expenses, and (4) public transportation. Transportation costs cover operational expenses such as fuel and routine maintenance as well as vehicle financing and vehicle insurance but do not include the costs of purchasing a new automobile. These costs were further adjusted for regional differences using annual expenditure shares reported by region.19 Expenditures were selected by household size, instead of as a share of household income because transportation cost (i.e. gas, repairs, etc.) are roughly the same for all persons regardless of income. Values were inflated to 2014 dollars using the Consumer Price Index inflation multiplier from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.20

I 100% agree that purposely having children while on minimum wage is stupid, and that's a reason I support planned parenthood.

Double posting but I want to post this too.

http://livingwage.mit.edu/

this site proves my point

none of those figure take account for the many welfare programs available

the housing figures dong account for low income apartment rates.
low income apartments are less than $100/month for NICE apartments

the food figure isnt accounting for SNAP type programs, where people have so much money stacked up they sell it for cash.

transportation is no where near accurate.
$400-800/mo car note?
on minimum wage?
stop.

if that chart isnt a clear indication having kids on minimum wage is a mistake, i dont know what more can be said

a local (liberal) radio station here posed the question if you're on minimum wage/ welfare should you not have kids

you wouldnt believe how many pissed off people called in to say "but thats my god given right, to be fruitful and multiply"

yeah its your right

its also your right to stuggle and starve

LOL. Get ready for the hate.

So people cant have kids unless they are rich?

They dont have kids if you are on minimum wage argument is ULTRA wack. So if you get pregnant on minimum you ahould abort the baby

They dont have kids if you are on minimum wage argument is ULTRA wack. So if you get pregnant on minimum you ahould abort the baby

You can have kids as much as you want, but you shouldn't expect them to be fed, housed and provided for by money taken from other people.

You can have kids as much as you want, but you shouldn't expect them to be fed, housed and provided for by money taken from other people.

Money grow on trees bruh? Where else would the money come from? :lol:

Money grow on trees bruh? Where else would the money come from? :lol:

Are you serious? :rolleyes

oh you can

you're fully free to do as you wish

but dont have a child while making minimum wage and ask for help

So what the point of the welfare program?

Please enlighten me about why minmum wage or poor people shouldnt have kids

Last edited:
I have to help a family member afford groceries and electricity because she makes too much to get benefits, and not enough to make all bills on time. She does not use credit cards, nor does she spend frivolously.

She is employed in a salary position for the US government.

if she is who you say she is people like her need to be the face of the cause.

not Calvin from Mcdonalds, Boomqueisha the CNA, and three kids

although, id argue people like your family member are few and far between.

i myself have come across (i think) 2 people caught up in that grey area where they made just over the limit for extra assistance but not enough cash to make it.

but i can name over 20 people i personally know straight up GAMING the system

- having babies for income
- selling SNAP to pay for hair/cell phone bills
etc.

one family member of mine is almost 40, jusr had her 4th child (for income). was offered a GOOD job with benefits and turned it down so she can keep getting assistance

So what the point of the welfare program?

Please enlighten me about why minmum wage or poor people shouldnt have kids

you asking that question means you wouldnt understand the answer even if you wanted to.

you may wanna sit this one out.

if she is who you say she is people like her need to be the face of the cause.

not Calvin from Mcdonalds, Boomqueisha the CNA, and three kids

although, id argue people like your family member are few and far between.

i myself have come across (i think) 2 people caught up in that grey area where they made just over the limit for extra assistance but not enough cash to make it.

but i can name over 20 people i personally know straight up GAMING the system

- having babies for income
- selling SNAP to pay for hair/cell phone bills
etc.

one family member of mine is almost 40, jusr had her 4th child (for income). was offered a GOOD job with benefits and turned it down so she can keep getting assistance
what was the good job?  I'm pretty sure it wasn't that good if she turned it down cause government assistance doesn't provide a life of luxury lol

I don't understand how dude worked for almost 20 years and not get any promotions or raises and not do anything about it. 

what was the good job?  I'm pretty sure it wasn't that good if she turned it down cause government assistance doesn't provide a life of luxury lol

see
this is how i know many of you have never seen these types of people up close

one of her kids she gets a 'check' for
between selling foodstamps, doing hair and other side hustles they easily afford a lifestyle FAR from poor

shes on vacation in Vegas right now LOL!

man i have SEVERAL cousins/aunts like this

I don't understand how dude worked for almost 20 years and not get any promotions or raises and not do anything about it. 

People get stuck. He is weak,and/or lacks the intelligence and skills to better himself. It happens to a lot of people.

see
this is how i know many of you have never seen these types of people up close

one of her kids she gets a 'check' for
between selling foodstamps, doing hair and other side hustles they easily afford a lifestyle FAR from poor

shes on vacation in Vegas right now LOL!

man i have SEVERAL cousins/aunts like this

There is an income point where you are actually better off getting government benefits and not working, than getting a job. I have seen it numerous times too. It really sucks for people with low paying jobs like RIP sleazyy RIP sleazyy was talking about. People who are actually trying, but don't really make enough to survive, but make too much for any assistance. Those are the people who really should be getting the assistance, not the people who turn down jobs to keep assistance, while selling benefits and wasting them on rims, hair, alcohol, etc.

Ha im asking becuase i want to know. My sacrasm didnt translate to the internet

welfare is a safety net

its there in case you cant do it on your own
but its not something you should plan your family around using

thats like not wearing your seat belt because you have airbags

Can't understand how he's worked so long and is only at $8. My wife got pregnant at 16, got job at Burger King, within a year was in management, 6 years a general manager, and at 10 years she is district manager of 8 stores. She made best of situation and now makes more than a lot college grads I know. Don't get me wrong we struggled for a long time, but we made it work with two kids, and never had assistance. I see her move people up into management all the time now. If you work there for 10 years and still only make $8, you're just not trying and looking for handouts.

Back
Top Bottom