Mental Health Support Thread Vol. Let’s Help Each Other

Mental health is a scary thing to deal with and often times goes unnoticed. I am sure a lot of us have dealt with depression and other forms that negatively impact us. We all have our different ways of dealing with it, some in silence and others like to talk about it.

I figure with everything going on in the world now might be a great time to come in and talk to each other and hopefully help each other out. Discuss problems, concerns, healing strategies, etc.

I hope we can help each other out and have a place to decompress and talk about things we may not typically feel comfortable discussing

There are lots of resources out there as well (feel free to make suggestions to add):

Suicide Prevention Lifeline:
800-273-8255

Suicide Prevention Website

Better Help Online Therapy

Mayo Clinic Depression Symptoms/Causes

Coping with Depression

6 Rings G.O.A.T.

Supporter
not-alone.jpg

Feel some of the things that help mental health most that are often neglected are getting enough sleep, food and exercise. When you feel good, it makes it easier to manage the stresses and hardships in life.

Know it can be difficult to have the motivation to do these things when depressed but having 3 meals a day, going for a walk in the evening and not using your phone or computer right before going to bed help a lot

I’ll start us off. One of the things I struggle with is a manic depressive type deal (I don’t want to self diagnose but this is the closest comparison). I will be perfectly fine and having a “good” day and then out of nowhere I get a sudden hit of depression and sadness. It feels as I’m in a bad mood but I just get numb to everything and feel overwhelming sadness about everything in life. These will last from a few minutes to several hours and then I will be perfectly fine.

I am not sure what I attribute this to. I’ve not had any recent trauma in my life, though I can say I had a pretty abnormal upbringing and had traumatic events back then. Currently, I am married and have 2 baby girls. I’m not rich or wealthy by any means but I am doing okay for myself and family. Aside from my episodes mentioned above, I have a slight bit of regular depression. I often time suffer from not feeling like I’m good enough with anything that I do. This can be life, work, financials, just about anything you can think of. When I hit my really low points I can truly say if it weren’t my for two baby girls I don’t think I’d want to be living anymore. Luckily, I’m able to stay positive and keep doing what I can for the family.

Feel some of the things that help mental health most that are often neglected are getting enough sleep, food and exercise. When you feel good, it makes it easier to manage the stresses and hardships in life.

Know it can be difficult to have the motivation to do these things when depressed but having 3 meals a day, going for a walk in the evening and not using your phone or computer right before going to bed help a lot
That is true. One of the most common symptoms of depression is anedohnia which, unfortunately, makes it extremely hard for the person to get the ball rolling. Support and motivation that encourages medication compliance is crucial. Once someone can give the medicine a small chance to work even a slight relief of symptoms can improve motivation.

Mark Antony

Supporter
Maybe consolidate with this one

bump....this pandemic made either people mental health flourish OR it went right to the bottom of the trash. I was lucky enough to spend most of my time in the park when lockdown happened and I felt so bad for those who couldnt leave their homes.

To this day I see people outside with mental health issues and it hit me that it wasnt so much visible people with mental health issues pre-pandemic.

Its definitely a topic we need to address more.

Top Bottom