Methods on How To Potty Train A Dog?

couple days ago I posted pics of my new dog Wiz(half pug half jack russel). I know puppies piss and duece it up everywhere but i wanna potty train him as soonas possible. So the QUESTION is if you guys have any good ways in training this pup? thanks homies.

take him out as much as possible...like every 2 hours...keep an eye on him...we used puppy pads and we figured her fave spot to go in the house and laid thepad there and then moved it closer to the back door...eventually she got it but it took my dog forever...

dang. this puppy i picked out is bad as hell. haha. its kept me up for 3 days for this nonsense

my girl just got a puppy westie.

she had to take that thing out like every 20-30 mins.

now we notice it starts sniffin around so we snatch it up and take it outside, and its getting to the point where its barking at us when it has to go out,which is good.

just be patient, bc its gonna get reallllly irritating.

rub their nose in it.. don't be cruel about it show them what they did and show them where they need to go.

jack russell is the worst dog to own. they do whatever they want but are smart as hell.

my sister trained her dog (maltese) by using the word "potty" whenever the dog hears it he gets excited cause now he knows what it means, wordassociation is key imo. at first they would put him on the training pad in a corner of the back porch they wanted him to go and tell him to potty. he caught oneventually, big dogs are easier to train to hold it, small dogs will pee anywhere if you don't take them out.

the best thing is to give him a treat whenever he pottys in the right place. they get a lil spoiled but eventually they learn and you dont have to give a treateverytime.

edit: yeah and expect phases, it had a phase where it peed on curtains, and certain other spots, if it's a male that's not "fixed" it mightwant to mark its territory so be aware of that. my sis' dog aint fixed cause its pure bred, she still hasn't pimp'd him out yet
smh.gif
big money inthat

our word it pee-pee...she starts hoppin around in circles...or she'll put her head through the shutter things on the back door...

Isolate him to one area of the house or crate him whenever you're not watching him and put a pad or newspaper there. If/When you know he's gonna go,rush him to the pad. Make sure you do this consistently so he'll know/catch up to it easily. Definitely give him a doggy treat whenever he goes on the pad.If you're gonna train him to go outside, like someone said up top, use a phrase or word over and over like "let's go potty" so they'llassociate it. But the main thing is to be CONSISTENT. A puppy is hard work, you really have to commit to him otherwise,he'll just pee and poop any andeverywhere.

dang great tips thanks guys. yeah i picked up on habits he has such as whining when he's hungry/has to potty. he's a good dog, but i just need to pottytrain him. also he's almost 5 weeks old and i'm getting him his shots this weekend. is it bad to take him outside?

when taking the dog out only to pee or release a brown hostage always take it out the same door

or maybe give it a go at litter training it if it's small enough

that's what i did with my mini schnauzer...it's soooooo nice not having to take her out in the winter

Only 5 weeks old? Thats awfully young to be away from it's mother and litter. Even when weaned, they gain valuable social skills. 8-12 weeks is a muchbetter age.

Crate train. I cannot stress this enough, it makes house training a breeze. Dogs like their den. They will not !#%# where they eat, essentially. I do not usepuppy pads, they confuse the dog. You're basically telling them it's ok to piss in the house. Take the dog out frequently. Every 30 minutes to an hour- or right after they drink and eat - a dog that young goes pretty fast after eating/drinking. Get him on a schedule. Feed, take out, put in crate, nap time,whatever - all at the same time every day.

I suggest picking up a Puppy magazine. Tons of great hints and tips

Originally Posted by Essential1

rub their nose in it.. don't be cruel about it show them what they did and show them where they need to go.

Puppies DO NOT make this association. It's mean. You can yell NO or whatever if you catch them in the act of elimination but even if you catch them rightafter it happens they won't get it. They're like infants.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Only 5 weeks old? Thats awfully young to be away from it's mother and litter. Even when weaned, they gain valuable social skills. 8-12 weeks is a much better age.

Crate train. I cannot stress this enough, it makes house training a breeze. Dogs like their den. They will not !#%# where they eat, essentially. I do not use puppy pads, they confuse the dog. You're basically telling them it's ok to piss in the house. Take the dog out frequently. Every 30 minutes to an hour - or right after they drink and eat - a dog that young goes pretty fast after eating/drinking. Get him on a schedule. Feed, take out, put in crate, nap time, whatever - all at the same time every day.

I suggest picking up a Puppy magazine. Tons of great hints and tips
This right here is the key to training a puppy I have a 3 year old english bulldog she has been on a schedule since she was 3 months old, we feedher at 8am goes out and pee's( we use let's go pee-pee) and gets water, sleeps till noon goes out and plays in the back yard or runs around the houseif its not nice out.She eats agian at 4pm and goes back out side to poop.( agian key prase is Let's go poo-poo.) goes back to play and then its nap timetill about 10 goes out to pee or poop and then its sleepy time, and start it all over agian the next day. It might seem like alot of work but it sure beatshaving to clean poop and pee out the carpet or hardwood floors.
laugh.gif

Crate training is what needs to occur. I crate trained my dog for a few months (longer because shewould tear %%## up)...but placing your dog on a set schedule will develop a good habit. I don't believe in Puppy pads as they teach the dog that it is okto piss and %%## in the house. Get your pup a crate and place him/her in the crate during the day and in the night, even while you are there she needs to be inthe crate. The crate must not be used as punishment tho, make it love the crate and feel as tho it's a safe haven....put a bed in there and a fewtoys....

here's my pup a few years back, I had an adjustable crate that would fit to her size...
n11005638_32399451_1683.jpg

I always put their nose in it, give em a little spank, and then put them outside for a while. And like others said that em outside every so often.

Originally Posted by CadillacFLOW

I always put their nose in it, give em a little spank, and then put them outside for a while. And like others said that em outside every so often.
That is NOT the way to do things....the dog is only peeing indoors because youdidn't train it correctly or see it's pee signs...someone should rub your nose in it, beat you and put you outside

when my dog was a puppy, we train it to pee and poo on puppy pads for first few week cuz everyone would be at work ...after he got comfy with doing that...wewould take him out every 2hr to walk him and ask him to pee and poo. Now he dont pee or poo in the house...only time he does that is when no one is home forlong period of time and he couldn't hold it in...but its important if you use puppy pad, keep using the same brand so he get use to the same scent. (i usethe one with arm and hammer)

Originally Posted by TD The God

Crate training is what needs to occur. I crate trained my dog for a few months (longer because she would tear %%## up)...but placing your dog on a set schedule will develop a good habit. I don't believe in Puppy pads as they teach the dog that it is ok to piss and %%## in the house. Get your pup a crate and place him/her in the crate during the day and in the night, even while you are there she needs to be in the crate. The crate must not be used as punishment tho, make it love the crate and feel as tho it's a safe haven....put a bed in there and a few toys....

here's my pup a few years back, I had an adjustable crate that would fit to her size...
n11005638_32399451_1683.jpg
I have owned 3 dogs and this is what we did for all of them. When I first get a puppy, I try to keep them outside as much as possible so they havea spot where they go pee and are comfortable being outside. Whenever they are inside I keep an eye on them and take them outside every 2 hours. I will lengthenthe time intervals as time goes by. If it is time to go to sleep or work, straight to the kennel or crate they go. I will leave a radio on, a blanket, and anarticle of clothing of mine inside so they feel comfortable.

This is how I have trained all my dogs and it has worked well. Takes a couple weeks to a month for them to get it. The whole point of the kennel or crate isthat they wont pee where they lay and will hold it til you let them out, usually.

When buying a kennel or crate, make sure you don't get one that is too large where they have a lot a space to move around. Just enough space for them toget in and lay down. They will cry a lot initially but don't give in and let them out. They will get use to it.

I have owned all Rottweilers btw so if you have a small dog you might want to shorten the time intervals.

That is NOT the way to do things....the dog is only peeing indoors because you didn't train it correctly or see it's pee signs...someone should rub your nose in it, beat you and put you outside
relax yourself. The guy didn't say he wallops and beats the living crap out of his dog. A little spank is nothing, especially to a big dog. Ispank my pit when she does something wrong and it works. If my parents walk out of the room and leave chicken cutlets she snatches them up. I can leave hersitting next to food walk out of my room, make a call, go take a piss, come back and she hasn't touched a crumb. It depends on the dog.

but yeah crate training is the best way to go. It becomes their home and they like it. my dog goes in there without being told when she wants to crash

Originally Posted by DubA169

That is NOT the way to do things....the dog is only peeing indoors because you didn't train it correctly or see it's pee signs...someone should rub your nose in it, beat you and put you outside
relax yourself. The guy didn't say he wallops and beats the living crap out of his dog. A little spank is nothing, especially to a big dog. I spank my pit when she does something wrong and it works. If my parents don't ever spank her so when they walk out of the room and leave chicken cutlets she snatches them up. I can leave her sitting next to food walk out of my room, make a call, go take a piss, come back and she hasn't touched a crumb. It depends on the dog.

but yeah crate training is the best way to go. It becomes their home and they like it. my dog goes in there without being told when she wants to crash

Originally Posted by DubA169

relax yourself. The guy didn't say he wallops and beats the living crap out of his dog. A little spank is nothing, especially to a big dog. I spank my pit when she does something wrong and it works. If my parents walk out of the room and leave chicken cutlets she snatches them up. I can leave her sitting next to food walk out of my room, make a call, go take a piss, come back and she hasn't touched a crumb. It depends on the dog.

If properly trained your dog would leave it regardless of who leaves it.

Back
Top Bottom