Miami passes Los Angeles as the second most expensive housing market in the US

Are the houses in Miami worth it ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 37 82.2%

• Total voters
re: Cali

I've always wondered how folks that weren't as fortunate even made it work out there man.
Alot of landlords set up "rooming houses". Usually 3 people have their own rooms to themselves, while the 4th and 5th renter gets the living room and basement. If there's a shed in the backyard that might get rented out too.

Depending on the amenities (washer+dryers, cable+internet) rent could be anywhere from 300-450 per month.

Now having less than 200sq ft of personal living space might sound inhumane or jail-like but consider the following
-Naturally your fellow occupants have diff schedules. One guy might work 2nd shift, another might have a girlfriend he spends weekends with. It's almost never a full house.

-Most Californians have gym memberships and go on a daily basis. This is their 2nd home. (Regardless of what state you live, if you don't drink or smoke this is how you make friends)

-Storage units are inexpensive, it makes more sense to keep the stuff you barely use there and make monthly trips to retrieve/swap things out. (Seasonal fashion, books, holiday crap)

-Cali traffic is ridiculous. Along with the gym this is another secondary home. Think about why Podcasts have become so popular in the past 10 years? While normal people snack/graze while driving Cali residents habitually eat entire meals in their car.

-Lastly the weather - East Coast bruhs are involuntarily stuck in the house from late Oct to early Mar. Not to mention their Spring and Summers are punctuated by regular t-storms and drizzles...

Last edited:
Brownstone Brownstone What was it about CHA and DEN that you felt blended together? I would have thought there was a big cultural difference between the two considering the "key demos" of the folks living there.
Not sure what you mean by key demos? Yes Charlotte is more diverse from a black perspective, but Denver probably has more latino and geographic diversity

Well for starters they are roughly the same size from a population standpoint

They also appear to be younger cities in the sense that they are trying to manufacture neighborhoods (Rhino for example)

Both have strong brewery scenes and are selling cheaper cost of living (Denver is far more expensive but cheaper for it's residents than where they come from)

It should be noted that I was in Denver for a week and am subjective because I didn't like my time there. It should also be noted I much prefer Charlotte- bigger downtown, better weather (for me) and more centralized city, Denver is soooo sprawled out. Also, I don't smoke and I don't ski either.

I know folks in the midwest and south must hate CA and NY area people rn. They're moving there and running up the COL in places like ATL, Charlotte, Austin, Tennessee etc
This YouTuber that lived in Austin for years moved to Tennessee when people from Cali started moving in :lol:

Actually been toying with the idea of buying a ranch in Montana or the Dakotas
You ain’t the only one. I just wonder how long those people will last out there. It’s cool now when we are in the middle of pandemic but we are bound to return to some type of normalcy sooner or later.
I have a problem of making big decisions in extreme circumstances.

I want to move to Miami/Fort Lauderdale to be closer to my kid. There's the option of Tampa. But would you guys recommend Fort Lauderdale vice Miami?

As long as you got a gig/job that pays you at least $300 a day, youre good in LA.

Otherwise you just stay inside all the time lol

I want to move to Miami/Fort Lauderdale to be closer to my kid. There's the option of Tampa. But would you guys recommend Fort Lauderdale vice Miami?
Def Fort Lauderdale.
Imo Miami too busy (especially if something happenin)

Tampa seems kinda boring and more of a retirement type town but I've only been there twice

It’s really bad here in Phx

It became the 4th or 5th largest city in the U.S. while I was there last summer. I loved it out there and I’m trying to move there full time by the end of the year. I know chandler and Gilbert has seen an influx of folks from Cal.

I don’t get this influx of Cali folks nonsense. It’s at best going to be like 1% of a population of that state that are people that moved from Cali i compared to existing people that are already there.

What’s really happening is that in the 90s the percentage of normal people that owned residential units was like 93%+. Nowadays, hedge funds, LLCs, foreign investors, etc own 25% with 75% owned by regular folks. This squeeze on the supply has had dramatic impacts to home prices and to rents. Regular people can’t afford a starter home so they are forced to rent…which drives up rent prices. this just one tip of one spear of the problems.

If there was one law I could pass:

-Real estate must be owned by age 18+ citizens or residents of the US.
-No one person can own more than 3 properties
-Tax on vacant units
-Landlord protections increase a lot to make it easier to kick out bad tenants
-Rent control not allowed anywhere
-No special housing anywhere

I don’t get this influx of Cali folks nonsense. It’s at best going to be like 1% of a population of that state that are people that moved from Cali i compared to existing people that are already there.

What’s really happening is that in the 90s the percentage of normal people that owned residential units was like 93%+. Nowadays, hedge funds, LLCs, foreign investors, etc own 25% with 75% owned by regular folks. This squeeze on the supply has had dramatic impacts to home prices and to rents. Regular people can’t afford a starter home so they are forced to rent…which drives up rent prices. this just one tip of one spear of the problems.
The feds made it worse by lowering interest rates when COVID hit.

Housing essentially became an investment for hedge funds.

Foreign nationals with dirty money also park their money in real estate. That's why you had people paying more than the asking price to secure property.

The government doesn't care about protecting the average American and making housing accessible for everyone as long as taxes are being paid

Sounds like somebody didn't get that FEMA money after the hurricane and just started changing numbers on price tags, jussayin'

272968838_4921856987918743_5425174844907535621_n.png

Def Fort Lauderdale.
Imo Miami too busy (especially if something happenin)

Tampa seems kinda boring and more of a retirement type town but I've only been there twice

I feel like out of all 3 counties, you get a better home value in WPB, or unless you’re deep down in Florida City or Homestead.

WPB is a wealthy county but it’s still affordable and a slower pace than Lauderdale or Miami but they’re still close to where you can experience the nightlife or leisure activities

Don't know real estate value besides Homestead the best bet.
Fort Lauderdale prolly better for the kid.
****in closed Boomers but there's still D&B and Xtreme Action Park 4 slime

It's always easy to blame people instead of the shady practices that are occurring. People really think that a small amount of Californians leaving the state shifts state economies :lol:

Back
Top Bottom