Midsole Re-Paint Cracked....Again.

Hi, so I’m a avid Air Max collector and most of my restoration work revolves around oldish Air Maxes around the 2005 - 2018, I think the materials and craftsmanship was just better back then. Anyway, i can’t for the life of me figure out how to not get any hairline cracks in the midsoles of my projects. I just don’t get it, I think I prep ok and paint pretty well but yet I can’t get a full day out of any shoe I do without it cracking a little and it’s frustrating since I’ve been trying since 2018. I have good brushes, I use Angela’s paint I think I put down thin coats and usually do 5 - 8. I prep with Angela’s Deglazer and sand the midsole a little bit from 400 grit to 800 grit and finally to 1200 grit. This time I tried using a adhesion promoter (Bulldog) and sealed the paint up with Angela’s Matte finish (2 coats). Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 88D3C019-3D07-47B6-AE96-1179652A21D9.jpeg
    88D3C019-3D07-47B6-AE96-1179652A21D9.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 616
Unfortunately midsole are going to crack. The material is not meant to be painted with acrylic paint. Even Jordan midsole crack after awhile. You did all the right steps fam

Unfortunately midsole are going to crack. The material is not meant to be painted with acrylic paint. Even Jordan midsole crack after awhile. You did all the right steps fam
Thanks man, but really? After a half a day of normal walking it’s normal for the midsole to crack on both sneakers in the “high flex/impact area? I could see if I went through all the steps and the midsoles lasted me say a couple weeks but 1 day?

Yeah man. That’s why I stopped really taking midsole jobs unless it’s the back of a Jordan 3. Jordan actually changed the paint/process on what they do for mid soles so it will last longer. Adhesion promoter might make it last a little longer

Back
Top Bottom