Millennial Money Thread: How to Make it in America on Certain Salaries

It's software development, already got my books and a notepad full of ideas for pet projects so I should be good, appreciate it though! Just on me to be consistent in my study.

I would already be in it if I had/knew of resources back when I got my first real job if I had any type of mentor.

Resources for black americans considering the tech industry are extremely lacking.

I made the transition from finance to software development at the start of 2018.

I'm learning that the black tech scene is definitely out there it's just spread across the country.

Best of luck with the self study my dude.

Come to the dark side of PE/VC and then talk to me about hours lol.

That dude making 175 a year that’s AFTER bonus. Idk any associate making that as a base.

I heard hours at VC/PE aren't even bad tho. How many hours are you working on average per week?

This says it all. Time to move on, bro.

There's nothing like having a healthy work/life balance. For me, I NEVER compromise my family time for the job. I do my best to not bring any work home. I have a 35 minute drive to work in the morning and that's when I do my thinking about my plan for the day. As soon as I walk out of the door in the afternoon, I compartmentalize. Work related **** is out of sight, out of mind until I get in my car the next morning. I don't answer work emails when I leave and NEVER on the weekends. The second you do that, that's when folks will think it's OK to invade on your time away from the job.

Well, I'm rambling now, but you get the point LOL.

this is me. I tell my friends and family all the time "dont let that job control you"

Man, I thought working 55-60 hrs a week was OD.

I did hear on the show Suits that young attorneys at white shoe firms put in 100+. Is that true?

Yeah I definitely don’t make overtime lol. Base and bonus.

My friend at a big DC firm has to make hours every year. She’s been working 100 hours the last few weeks. Billable hours!

Compared to the laborers of the late 1800's - we some whole ****!!!

The police / national guard shot and killed people who were fighting for the 8 hour workday.

Now people actually coming in early and staying late...on purpose.

Making coffee for the "boss".

Demanding a work life balance, fair wages, maternity leave, and health care = "Yer just a damn solicalist aint cha boy??"

Sad!

In a proclamation printed just before May 1, 1886, one publisher appealed to working people with this plea:

• Workingmen to Arms!
  • War to the Palace, Peace to the Cottage, and Death to LUXURIOUS IDLENESS.
  • The wage system is the only cause of the World's misery. It is supported by the rich classes, and to destroy it, they must be either made to work or DIE.
  • One pound of DYNAMITE is better than a bushel of BALLOTS!
  • MAKE YOUR DEMAND FOR EIGHT HOURS with weapons in your hands to meet the capitalistic bloodhounds, police, and militia in proper manner.
Not surprisingly the entire city was prepared for mass bloodshed, reminiscent of the railroad strike a decade earlier when police and soldiers gunned down hundreds of striking workers. On May 1, 1886, more than 300,000 workers in 13,000 businesses across the United States walked off their jobs in the first May Day celebration in history. In Chicago, the epicenter for the 8-hour day agitators, 40,000 went out on strike with the anarchists in the forefront of the public's eye. With their fiery speeches and revolutionary ideology of direct action, anarchists and anarchism became respected and embraced by the working people and despised by the capitalists.

The names of many - Albert Parsons, Johann Most, August Spies and Louis Lingg - became household words in Chicago and throughout the country. Parades, bands and tens of thousands of demonstrators in the streets exemplified the workers' strength and unity, yet didn't become violent as the newspapers and authorities predicted.

More and more workers continued to walk off their jobs until the numbers swelled to nearly 100,000, yet peace prevailed. It was not until two days later, May 3, 1886, that violence broke out at the McCormick Reaper Works between police and strikers.

For six months, armed Pinkerton agents and the police harassed and beat locked-out steelworkers as they picketed. Most of these workers belonged to the "anarchist-dominated" Metal Workers' Union. During a speech near the McCormick plant, some two hundred demonstrators joined the steelworkers on the picket line. Beatings with police clubs escalated into rock throwing by the strikers which the police responded to with gunfire. At least two strikers were killed and an unknown number were wounded.

Last edited:
Yeah I definitely don’t make overtime lol. Base and bonus.

This... We're salaried out here because they know we're regularly working OT.

It's not crazy OT but im probably hitting 50 this week.

Get a union in there and get paid for real. That’s foul. I don’t even work that much and I’m in seasonal construction.

Most states are right to work, you'd get mandem hemmed up with that union talk.

Or just keep working 100 hour weeks.

Right to work or not you can still organize. Nevada is right to work, they got strong unions. All right to work means is you can choose to pay union dues.

Or just keep working 100 hour weeks.

Right to work or not you can still organize. Nevada is right to work, they got strong unions. All right to work means is you can choose to pay union dues.

I don’t work 100 hours and I’m MORE than compensated for what I do/ the hours I work.

No complaints here.

It's software development, already got my books and a notepad full of ideas for pet projects so I should be good, appreciate it though! Just on me to be consistent in my study.

I would already be in it if I had/knew of resources back when I got my first real job if I had any type of mentor.

Resources for black americans considering the tech industry are extremely lacking.

Yo if you're in the Bay Area in early November AfroTech is happening. Solid opportunity to meet folk who have been on are currently on the journey your taking.

アミーゴ アミーゴ

And your personality. I’d probably go crazy working those hours in an office. My job is physical but I’m not gonna act like I’m out here breaking my back either. I couldn’t sit that long.

Back
Top Bottom