Millennials on average are in 28k in Debt. VOL Credit Cards

BECOME DEBT-FREE
Millennials have an average of $28,000 in debt—and the biggest source isn’t student loans
Published Wed, Sep 18 2019 11:13 AM EDT

Megan Leonhardt@MEGAN_LEONHARDT

Northwestern Mutual’s 2019 Planning & Progress Study. The findings are based on a survey conducted by The Harris Poll of over 2,000 U.S. adults.

The biggest source of debt? Credit card bills. And that’s a “troubling” trend, Chantel Bonneau, a financial advisor with Northwestern Mutual, tells CNBC Make It.

NM_GenerationsDebtSource.1568815528350.png

“One issue that a lot of millennials have is that they have not wanted to sacrifice their lifestyle, even though they have student loans or lower incomes,” Bonneau says. “That has left us in this spot where they’ve accumulated a significant amount of credit card debt.”

That’s especially concerning because it’s important to save for future financial goals, such as buying a home or building a retirement fund, when you’re young and have time to let compound interest grow your money.

But because millennials are balancing both student loans and credit card debt, “the likelihood that millennials are prioritizing retirement in any meaningful way as an overall generation seems unlikely,” Bonneau says.

Yet for many millennials, the slide into debt goes beyond just lifestyle creep. Wages are not keeping up as day-to-day costs continue to soar, according to Alissa Quart, executive director of the Economic Hardship Reporting Project and author of “Squeezed: Why Our Families Can’t Afford America.”

The average paycheck only has the same purchasing power it did 40 years ago, a Pew Research report found. Almost two-thirds of millennials say they’re living paycheck to paycheck and only 38% feel financially stable, according to Schwab’s 2019 Modern Wealth report.

Student loans are also a factor. The number of households with student loan debt doubled from 1998 to 2016, Pew Research Center found. The median amount of loan debt millennials carried was $19,000, significantly higher than Gen Xers’ balance of $12,800 at the same age.

While it may be easy to criticize millennials for simply spending too much, it’s important to remember that there are other issues at play, Terri Kallsen, Schwab’s executive vice president of investor services, tells CNBC Make It. “Spending is not the enemy that we might think that it is,” she says

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/18/student-loans-are-not-the-no-1-source-of-millennial-debt.html

Fools going deep in debt to keep up with the hypebeast clothes and shoes so they can post it on social media. That **** is crazy and dumb as hell.

This. It’s all about the lifestyle that people think you live.

I have friends that are teachers making 45k or less but are driving a Mercedes and traveling the world, all the while renting a room at a friends house.

I have another friend who lives in the meat packing district but hasn’t worked in two years because she is “looking for the right job.” Has zero income but lives the same lifestyle as all the professionals in our group. Her parents aren’t loaded and she’s not hooking. Has to have a mountain of CC debt.

If that’s how you want to live, enjoy! But don’t expect a future...

Last edited:

I have friends that are teachers making 45k or less but are driving a Mercedes and traveling the world, all the while renting a room at a friends house.

I have another friend who lives in the meat packing district but hasn’t worked in two years because she is “looking for the right job.” Has zero income but lives the same lifestyle as all the professionals in our group. Her parents aren’t loaded and she’s not hooking. Has to have a mountain of CC debt.

Again, no job for two years? How’s she getting approved for credit, with no proof of income? Does not add up

******** page?:nerd:

And all these millennials ran out and got suckered into an apple credit card.

I have cc debt but its no where near 28k cant believe people got that much in cc debt but i do understand not sacrificing a lifestyle they are accustom to

Millenials are all either in our 30s now or close to it. When you're already in debt from student loans but still gotta be an adult on stagnant wages that aren't tied to inflation or the CPI, yeah you're gonna rack up some CC debt since you weren't gonna be economically stable anyways.

Really don’t get how people get into crazy debt like that (barring any emergency type of situations) I got a credit card while I was in college and would use it for food and metro cards. Paid the bill in full every month and once I graduated and got a job my credit limits increased and now I have a really good credit score. I don’t even think the problem is a lack of education in personal finances but just plain stupidity

And all these millennials ran out and got suckered into an apple credit card.

I have cc debt but its no where near 28k cant believe people got that much in cc debt but i do understand not sacrificing a lifestyle they are accustom to

whats up with the apple cc .. not valid ?? I hear good things lately, still not sure if its the right move.

She could have a sugar daddy.

Back
Top Bottom