Minivans are Masculinity Killers No?

h connect

Banned
What's up NT? I was having a convo with a few of my friends over the long weekend, a few of which are engaged, married, or expecting their first children soon.  Long story short the convo turned to someone saying they would have to have a heart-heart with their wife if she ever wanted to get a minivan.  I thought about it and had to agree.  In this day and age why would any self-respecting man purchase a minivan to tote the kids around in when he could just as easily get an SUV.  Everyone agreed that they wouldn't want to tool around in a minivan
laugh.gif
but the only two arguments for the minivan that came up were better gas mileage and more functionality (which I'm not buying) Would you seriously ever drive one? Why?

It's easy to say things like this, until you are a parent (and have another on the way).  Tell me how you're going to tote:

-A Stoller
-Change of clothes
-Baby Bag
-Extra Diapers, Bottles, Snacks, children's favorite toy(s)

in a sedan?  Alot of these SUV's don't nearly have as much cu.ft. of storage or passanger room as even your basic minivan (I push a '99 maxima by the way.  A father of a 20 month old, with another on the way).  I used to have an '06 murano a few months ago, but it was getting crowded with just my wife and son in there. 

You can say what you want, but if you have more than 1 child, it's going to be pretty tight without a mini van.  I'm thinking of a Siena or Oddesey when #2 comes along

And about the Cayenne, if you doing it like that, hey do you.

Originally Posted by Aquatic Barefoot

It's easy to say things like this, until you are a parent (and have another on the way).  Tell me how you're going to tote:

-A Stoller
-Change of clothes
-Baby Bag

in a sedan?  Alot of these SUV's don't nearly have as much cu.ft. of storage or passanger room as even your basic minivan (I push a '99 maxima by the way.  A father of a 20 month old, with another on the way).  I used to have an '06 murano a few months ago, but it was getting crowded with just my wife and son in there. 

You can say what you want, but if you have more than 1 child, it's going to be pretty tight without a mini van.  I'm thinking of a Siena or Oddesey when #2 comes along

I currently drive a Tahoe and I have no children...but I'm damn sure I could fit everything you just stated in there with 2 kids with ease and extra room. If I couldn't I'd upgrade to a larger SUV.  I understand that when it comes to families not everything is planned to a T, however I'd be damned if I was going to have more children if gas/mileage was an issue

you guys are too worried about what other people think about you.. that kills your masculinity, if you like minivans and they work for you who cares?

Only way a man should drive a minivan is if it's his first car and the thing is a piece of crap that he beats up with his friends.

Originally Posted by EcruteakCityBoy

Porsche Cayenne would be probably the only one i would ever drive.

A Cayenne isnt a minivan though
grin.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

you asking this question kills your masculinity.

Originally Posted by Crispy Cream

They're family vehicles, so I don't see the issue.

Both of these

And with those things said.........

2011-Dodge-Caravan-RT-concept-539x350.jpg

I would drive the hell out of this. Dodge Caravan R/T
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

-A Stoller
-Change of clothes
-Baby Bag

"oh you play the family man???? well i'll shoot up the family van!!!!" - reed dollaz lol

seriously though, why wouldn't a stroller and all that fit in a tahoe? 

Originally Posted by H Connect

-A Stoller
-Change of clothes
-Baby Bag

I currently drive a Tahoe and I have no children...but I'm damn sure I could fit everything you just stated in there with 2 kids with ease and extra room. If I couldn't I'd upgrade to a larger SUV.  I understand that when it comes to families not everything is planned to a T, however I'd be damned if I was going to have more children if gas/mileage was an issue

Yeah, I consider a Tahoe an Large SUV, whereas a Murano, XC90, RX350, etc, are more crossovers sport utility.  Either way you can pretty much haul all you want with one of those.

I'm also operating under a budget, so I have to consider things like maintenance, gas, etc.  If money wasn't an issue, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Also, what's wrong with  being a family oriented man?

eyes.gif

Used 08 and below, yes... but new ones are just tight... all have good sound systems, DVD players with like 4 screens, swivel seats, and thoroughly competent engines.. most have decent pull and Dodge is making an R/T Journey...

Originally Posted by H Connect

-A Stoller
-Change of clothes
-Baby Bag

Yeah, I consider a Tahoe an Large SUV, whereas a Murano, XC90, RX350, etc, are more crossovers sport utility.  Either way you can pretty much haul all you want with one of those.

I'm also operating under a budget, so I have to consider things like maintenance, gas, etc.  If money wasn't an issue, then it wouldn't be an issue.

eyes.gif

Get an Excursion desiel and convert it over to Bio desiel and veggy oil... mileage still wont be pretty but they're fairly cheap now, can hold the entire state of Rhode Island, and those engines never break down... plus 4x4 is always appreciated...

eyes.gif
nothing wrong with being family oriented at all...at the end of the day it's a personal preference I suppose, but i just don't see what a minivan offers anyone that a SUV doesn't. I know minivans were all the craze when I was growing up amongst moms on the run with 2 or 3 kids...but I feel like they are a dying breed now, especially with all the new SUVs and crossovers you mentioned.

I drove my parent's Chevy minivan for a year until I got my own ride. Some minivans seats can be taken out and can be use to haul big things around. That can't be done with some SUV. I would drive the new Honda Odessy or Toyota Sienna. They are looking like minivans on steriods and packed with technology.

Well I know some people still don't like the way some SUV's (espcially the truck based platform one) drive.  Higher center of gravity and a generally rougher ride are a turn off for people who are concerned with safety and comfort.  Though I see where you are comming from OP, I dissagree.  I think more and more people are driving minivans because they are highly versatile, safe, and affordable.

As for the bio diesel excursion...

You've got serious problems if you think a minivan is a "masculinity killer." If you have 3+ kids I'm sure you'll have at least two vehicles, be practical. 

Well I know some people still don't like the way some SUV's (espcially the truck based platform one) drive.  Higher center of gravity and a generally rougher ride are a turn off for people who are concerned with safety and comfort.  Though I see where you are comming from OP, I dissagree.  I think more and more people are driving minivans because they are highly versatile, safe, and affordable.

Yes?

i learned how to drive in my parents minivan
yall ever driven one? my !@#$ was smooth and comfy as a !@#$%

As you get older you really don't care what you drive....
I was a SUPER car guy all through my 20's, 8 new cars, acuras, rims, modified , sponsored.....

Now I'm practical.. drive a honda element
smile.gif
30" of snow in the winters & roomy for all my stuff on trips & i'm golden.

Minivans are ok, just need AWD

Originally Posted by CelticsPride34

Yes?

not sure if srs

Back
Top Bottom