misdemeanor or felony charges on background check vol. don't judge me

What's a dui? Felony? I keep hearing more and more jobs are not hiring people because of duis

Felony possession of Marijuana. There are a lot of people in this world with felony's, and you wouldn't even have a clue as to whom

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Don't put nothing down if you weren't convicted, having charges brought against you means nothing. "convicted" is the key word here.

This

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

What's a dui? Felony? I keep hearing more and more jobs are not hiring people because of duis

nah its a misdemeanor.

and yeah my mis. was expunged like the MONTH i graduated from college and i have had the job i'm currently at for about a year! office jobs ftw!

pimp.gif

Like everyone said don't lie. @ my current job some people have gotten jobs with Felonies & misdemeanors. But I've also seen where people didn't tell them about their conviction & months later they are fired because it showed up on their background check.

Originally Posted by donttalkitlivit

Felony possession of Marijuana. There are a lot of people in this world with felony's, and you wouldn't even have a clue as to whom
Damn did you have weight? Or were you just arrested in a strict jurisdiction?

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

A conviction implies a trial. Being charged means you said, "Yep, I did it. My bad," and moved along. It all depends on how your lawyer worked it. I have a misdemeanor and a second arrest with no charges on my record so I safely check the "N/A" box for convictions. Call up your lawyer and ask them if you have to check it. If he/she was cool, then they won't charge you to answer that one single question.

No.

You can be charged with a crime like petty theft (misdemeanor) but be convicted for nothing. This happens a lot if you do community service and pay the fines.

If something got expunged, will it still show up?

It will show forever if it was a felony. You need to show proof it was expunged.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

A conviction implies a trial. Being charged means you said, "Yep, I did it. My bad," and moved along. It all depends on how your lawyer worked it. I have a misdemeanor and a second arrest with no charges on my record so I safely check the "N/A" box for convictions. Call up your lawyer and ask them if you have to check it. If he/she was cool, then they won't charge you to answer that one single question.
I think you got it mixed up man.

A conviction means you were found guilty of the charge.  Being charged means they accused you of doing something.  If you said "Yep, I did it" that would be similar to pleading guilty (or just being really really stupid).  Depending on how your lawyer worked out your plea bargain, you might be able to work around it so it does not show up on your record.  When I was a punk kid I got in a little bit of trouble but based on having no prior record and being an otherwise upstanding citizen the judge let me do a buncha community service, pay a fine, and get my record sealed so that it would not show up.
yes

Originally Posted by YungSatellite

That info wrong as hell homie
Conviction means you were found guilty or plead guilty...

Being charged means they have enough evidence to take you to trial...

whatchu talm'bout?

Also you CANNOT EXPUNGE Felonies....

Certain Misdemenors and PBJ's yes

but not felonies
You can expunge felonies. It's called PC 1203.4 petition for expungement.

People do this to drop felonies to a misdemeanor.

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

nah its a misdemeanor.

and yeah my mis. was expunged like the MONTH i graduated from college and i have had the job i'm currently at for about a year! office jobs ftw!

pimp.gif

A dui can easily be a felony bro.

Originally Posted by i like shoes too

If something got expunged, will it still show up?
should be unless its one of those where it is removed after a numbers of years and you haven't hit that time yet.

it won't show up on a background check, unless you are applying for a job like the fbi.
It will show up forever if it was a felony

Misdemeanor: just got pulled over by cop (not serious)

Felony: injured/killed someone...crashed/property damage (serious)

If you have a conviction don't like about it. The great majority of companies do run background checks, regardless of what it is for if you lie and are found out, you'll never get a response. Best bet is to be truthful and upfront and something will come around eventually.

Originally Posted by Manglor

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

nah its a misdemeanor.

pimp.gif

A dui can easily be a felony bro.
you have to be REALLY **$!+#! drunk or someone was injured/killed...

I have two questions concerning this matter..

1. In minnesota getting caught with weed/weed paraphernalia is a "petty misdemeanor" or the equivalent to a traffic ticket, so do i have to say i've been convicted of a crime on an application?

2. In chicago i got caught with trees but the charges were dropped, does the arrest show up on my permanent record in any situation???

any answers would be very helpful!

Originally Posted by minnetrapolis

I have two questions concerning this matter..

1. In minnesota getting caught with weed/weed paraphernalia is a "petty misdemeanor" or the equivalent to a traffic ticket, so do i have to say i've been convicted of a crime on an application?

2. In chicago i got caught with trees but the charges were dropped, does the arrest show up on my permanent record in any situation???

any answers would be very helpful!

1. If you did not go to court then its not a conviction if I'm not mistaken.

2. Unfortunately yes unless you get that removed. I'm on lexin nexis
eyes.gif

passed my background check
pimp.gif

i was worried like a mutha since i keep hearing convering thoughts on "expunged" charges

so what about convictions before i was 18, should i put those down?

i always hear that everything before 18 is sealed, how true is this?

eek.gif
@ all the bad information in this thread..
to answer your original questions OP, some companies will check your record, others won't.. it will probably be on every application anyway. whatever you do, just don't lie... no good will come of it.

Most companies worth working for, will check your background, even down to the validity of your education.

I've had friends lose major opportunities because of conveying inaccurate info on their applications. One missed out on a job I referred him for at my company last week; starting salary was 85K + commisions. He lied about having a college degree. Hell, I don't even have a degree, and I started in that job too. Oh well.

Many make mistakes. Many have reasons for not fitting requirements "on paper."

Use your resume and cover letter to speak towards who you are, and floss your credentials and accomplishments.

Originally Posted by i like shoes too

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Don't put nothing down if you weren't convicted, having charges brought against you means nothing. "convicted" is the key word here.
right. only convictions or open warrants will show up on local, county, state, and federal background checks.

was this before you turned 18?
So if I get a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign should I put that down? I was never sure about this when they ask about traffic violations.

What's so bad about being on lexis nexus?

I recently got a misdemeanor for driving w/o a license in CA. I didn't even know I had this on my record until I applied for a volunteer position and got turned down. I didn't even know it was a misdemeanor, and the whole situation in general was b.s..

NT lawyers, traffic violations aren't that serious, right? I can get this removed if I'm good 6 months after the violation right? It was dropped to an infraction. Now I feel really dumb for not thinking much about it and never speaking to a lawyer. I just went to court and pleaded guilty. This is holding me back from getting ANY job right now. I don't even apply to jobs anymore, smh.

Back
Top Bottom