More $ in a small market or less $ in a bigger market? The ? for Durant's, Bosh's, Evans's, etc.

15,211
4,481
Joined May 25, 2001
All the talk about people thinking the Thunder are all going to split for cities with more limelight got me thinking, if it was you would you take more money and stay in a "small market," or split to city like say New York or other big market even if it costs you making 10-20% less.

What do you think guys like Durant, Evans, DWilliams, Bosh (small or otherwise considered as crappy cities) will do when their contracts come up? What would you do if it was you?

They're on the road 8-9 months anyways, doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. We all know players like Florida and Texas because of no income tax. Atlanta is a popular destination, or used to be, because of it's night life. I've read about Boston still having a rep for being racist. What other NBA (and I guess other sports) markets have certain reputations?
 
15,211
4,481
Joined May 25, 2001
"I want to have an opportunity to win, and I think we have that here," said Durant. "So it's not about the market and it's not about me getting more money because we're all blessed to be playing in this league ... I don't want to be greedy, basically. I love being here. It's a perfect place for me."


His brother called it "Oklahoma +@!%$!" though on Twitter after getting mad because a mall security guard told him to take his hoody off
 
29,630
1,860
Joined Nov 4, 2003
it depends on the player and the city. There are 4 and a half huge markets. LA, NY, CHI, BOS and to a lesser extent MIA (that place will never be a sports city. I'm not even knocking it, it's my 2nd favorite american city, but that's the truth) can probably throw dallas in there too but they will always be cowboy country



for a player like lebron, wade, melo, kobe it can seriously matter. SERIOUS money from endorsements

.As far as new york? short term- mad money from nike and whatever other endorsements from subway to local spots. television shows on MSG for the star and his boys (this is big, i don't know why nobody speaks on it. the knicks better damn well use that leverage)

long term- open up resturants, clubs. gyms whatever you want. you win in nyc you are a damn god. bigger than life man

now bosh, gay, dirk.... i dunno how well they will do long term in nyc money wise. you need a showman personality if you want the long term to be successful. short term they will get mad endorsements too.

OKC has awesome fans, I don't think that durant is going anywhere.
 
15,211
4,481
Joined May 25, 2001
and he tried to convince Nike to sell his shoes for less, 39.99 IIRC, so more people could afford it.
 
31,567
9,382
Joined May 31, 2006
Also considering you can still have a house in FL, Texas, someplace warm and not have income tax and stay there in the offseason.

It does depend on the city, my role, and how I've been treated by fans and management. If you ask would I rather live in Minnesota or Wisconsin, rather than NY or LA, I'd say hell no. But being a primetime athlete in a big city isn't always the right choice. If you get into trouble, party, can't handle the pressure and responsibilities, then you need to stay as far away from a big market as possible. I think Durant might have said recently how he likes OKC and it allows him to focus on basketball and not other distractions.

If I'm a max contract player, or even making 10 million/year, then I could give up a little money in order to play in a big market. However if I'm a mid-level guy, making 3-4 million/year, then I'd be less inclined to start giving up money just to play in a nicer city.
 
29,630
1,860
Joined Nov 4, 2003
Originally Posted by DatZNasty

and he tried to convince Nike to sell his shoes for less, 39.99 IIRC, so more people could afford it.
that's cool of him

but 9 out of 10 stars are gonna go for the money and fame
 
29,630
1,860
Joined Nov 4, 2003
Originally Posted by Big J 33

Also considering you can still have a house in FL, Texas, someplace warm and not have income tax and stay there in the offseason.

It does depend on the city, my role, and how I've been treated by fans and management. If you ask would I rather live in Minnesota or Wisconsin, rather than NY or LA, I'd say hell no. But being a primetime athlete in a big city isn't always the right choice. If you get into trouble, party, can't handle the pressure and responsibilities, then you need to stay as far away from a big market as possible. I think Durant might have said recently how he likes OKC and it allows him to focus on basketball and not other distractions.

If I'm a max contract player, or even making 10 million/year, then I could give him a little money in order to play in a big market. However if I'm a mid-level guy, making 3-4 million/year, then I'd be less inclined to start giving up money just to play in a nicer city.
very true. the income tax situation is a huge deal that i overlooked. the way to convince some players to stay out of dallas is the argument that the west is stacked. but cuban is SUCH a good owner.

if you can't take the distractions such as media, pressure, clubs, girls, drugs, haters, enablers....then don't come to a big market espescially nyc. the upside is huge though.
 
15,211
4,481
Joined May 25, 2001
Word, what other players play in one city but make their offseason and family'shome in another city, which also has a team? Like Kenyon Martin, Darvin Ham, Deron Williams (?), Michael Finley all live in Plano/Dallas. I know Kaman lives in Minnesota. I always felt like big cities were overrated anyways, lots of negatives, but obviously it all depends on the person, but people just assuming that everyone is going to prefer bigger cities. Like while I love visiting there, went twice this summer, I don't think I'd like living in New York. Then like DC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, we really consider these desirable places to leave just because of their populations?
 
7,981
1,455
Joined Jun 28, 2008
Originally Posted by DatZNasty

and he tried to convince Nike to sell his shoes for less, 39.99 IIRC, so more people could afford it.
Wow, im more amazed of guy every day...
If only it was 2007 again
 
2,359
11
Joined Jan 23, 2008
They are not on the road for 9 months out of the year.... honestly I would take the paycut and go to a better city
 
29,630
1,860
Joined Nov 4, 2003
Originally Posted by DatZNasty

 but people just assuming that everyone is going to prefer bigger cities. Like while I love visiting there, went twice this summer, I don't think I'd like living in New York. Then like DC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, we really consider these desirable places to leave just because of their populations?
big Z lives in new york city.


son what the *!%$ are you talking about? chicago and DC aren't big cities? DC is the damn capital. detroit and cle are %+*$ holes.

you obviously had your answer before you started this thread. don't wana move to new york? nobody cares. plenty of players want to come here. if you think it's all hype than you are naive. new york city is the damn capital of the world and a good amount of players will come here.

if you wanted people to come in this thread like "yeah you right. big cities suck and there isn't any real economic oppritunity... it's all hype. nobody gonna leave for a better life experiance" then you are wrong/ it isn't made up.


them country boys don't wana come to a big city? it's all good "if can't stand the heat get the *!%$ out the kitchen"
 
67,353
24,337
Joined Feb 29, 2000
Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

and he tried to convince Nike to sell his shoes for less, 39.99 IIRC, so more people could afford it.
that's cool of him

but 9 out of 10 stars are gonna go for the money and fame
see chris webber who left nike because they wouldnt lower the price on his signature shoes...
 
6,056
14
Joined Feb 23, 2008
Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

 but people just assuming that everyone is going to prefer bigger cities. Like while I love visiting there, went twice this summer, I don't think I'd like living in New York. Then like DC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, we really consider these desirable places to leave just because of their populations?
big Z lives in new york city.


son what the #@#+ are you talking about? chicago and DC aren't big cities? DC is the damn capital. detroit and cle are %*%+ holes.

you obviously had your answer before you started this thread. don't wana move to new york? nobody cares. plenty of players want to come here. if you think it's all hype than you are naive. new york city is the damn capital of the world and a good amount of players will come here.

if you wanted people to come in this thread like "yeah you right. big cities suck and there isn't any real economic oppritunity... it's all hype. nobody gonna leave for a better life experiance" then you are wrong/ it isn't made up.


them country boys don't wana come to a big city? it's all good "if can't stand the heat get the #@#+ out the kitchen"

you so sensitive.
 
2,755
13
Joined Nov 14, 2004
well...i think he should have stayed in seattle. he wouldve been killin it in a big market
instead
 
6,995
79
Joined Nov 28, 2004
^ are you talking about Durant should have stayed in Seattle? You know the franchise moved right?
 
15,211
4,481
Joined May 25, 2001
Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

 but people just assuming that everyone is going to prefer bigger cities. Like while I love visiting there, went twice this summer, I don't think I'd like living in New York. Then like DC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, we really consider these desirable places to leave just because of their populations?
big Z lives in new york city.


son what the *!%$ are you talking about? chicago and DC aren't big cities? DC is the damn capital. detroit and cle are %+*$ holes.

you obviously had your answer before you started this thread. don't wana move to new york? nobody cares. plenty of players want to come here. if you think it's all hype than you are naive. new york city is the damn capital of the world and a good amount of players will come here.

if you wanted people to come in this thread like "yeah you right. big cities suck and there isn't any real economic oppritunity... it's all hype. nobody gonna leave for a better life experiance" then you are wrong/ it isn't made up.


them country boys don't wana come to a big city? it's all good "if can't stand the heat get the *!%$ out the kitchen"
What the @++% are you talking about?
Where did I say DC and Chicago aren't big cities? The thread was about big name free agents who have a chance to bolt for more limelight in a bigger city, and the automatic assumption that they would even prefer to live in said cities, without mention of the pitfalls of big cities to compared to smaller metros and also the fact they would have to take a pay cut to go there.



to the New York public school system. You probably went to a school without a name, just a bunch of random numbers.
 
29,630
1,860
Joined Nov 4, 2003
Originally Posted by DatZNasty

 Then like DC, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, we really consider these desirable places to leave just because of their populations?

i'm a failure of the public school system? do you know what the hell a big city is? you put the 3rd biggest city in america in the same category with Cleveland.

chicago- 2,853,114
detroit-912,062
D.C.-591,833
Clevelend-433,748



on another note new york city has over 8,000,000 people. The second biggest city in america is LA with just under 4,000,000 people. so anybody who is trying to tell lebron that he won't make a ton of more money in new york city is either lying to him, bitter, or ignorant.
 
15,211
4,481
Joined May 25, 2001
leave, live. It was a typo. My bad, in this case it totally changes the meaning of the sentence 180 degrees.
Score 1 for P.S 192.
 
29,630
1,860
Joined Nov 4, 2003
Originally Posted by DatZNasty

leave, live. It was a typo. My bad, in this case it totally changes the meaning of the sentence 180 degrees.
Score 1 for P.S 192.
thank you

it still doesn't make much sense because then you are saying Cleveland is a big city and in the same category as chicago population wise

oh and i went to ps 196. you were damn close
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now