More $ in a small market or less $ in a bigger market? The ? for Durant's, Bosh's, Evans's, etc.

Cleveland was more part of the "yea it might be a bigger than city that [insert smaller metro], but it still sucks," part of the sentence. But yea looking at it on wiki now, I thought Cleveland was bigger than that.

LeBron won't make any more money playing in New York than anywhere else unless he's winning championships... That's the only way his marketability takes a giant leap forward..

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

LeBron won't make any more money playing in New York than anywhere else unless he's winning championships... That's the only way his marketability takes a giant leap forward..
the second he steps foot in nyc nike will give him a ton of dough. he will get plenty of endorsements the first year even with no chip. plenty of businesses and chain resturants have ads specifically for new york. i remember mcdonalds and subway off the top of my head.

But yeah i agree with you to make that GIANT leap he needs a chip. But i think he only needs to win once here. after that we are talking about clubs, restaurants, television, books, gyms, clothing whatever the hell he wants.

my point is that people are acting as if the whole nyc=more money thing is made up by the media. or it's new yorkers being cocky or delusional. it really isn't that stuff is 100 percent real if you play your cards right

i thought that nike given him more money to play in NYC was already proven to be BS?

now would he get other endorsments? ya

and i already know which way this thread will turn once everyone gets up this morning

^Its probably an "under the table deal".

Of course they'll say its bs, but IF he signs here, then the deal is obviously back up.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

i thought that nike given him more money to play in NYC was already proven to be BS?

now would he get other endorsments? ya

and i already know which way this thread will turn once everyone gets up this morning

that clause was never real. wouldn't that be a kind of tampering?

The $100 million number is LeBron's total contract that includes a $10million signing bonus. There are other bonuses, royalties andincentives, but there is no New York, Chicago or L.A. market incentive.

Even if LeBron did have the New York clause in his contract it would bedone by the time his contract expired. James' original deal is a sevenyear deal, meaning it ends at the end of the 2009-10 season, before hewould have a chance to go to New York.

he would be getting a new contract. and the way things are heading with tiger, nike might have a big void to fill up

DatZNasty wrote:
Cleveland was more part of the "yea it might be a bigger than city that [insert smaller metro], but it still sucks," part of the sentence. But yea looking at it on wiki now, I thought Cleveland was bigger than that.

I'm going to be completely modest when I point this out but with the new emergence of 'Cleveland Plus' which combines the cities of Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Youngstown; thats a population of 4,000,000.

Check it for yourself if you don't believe me: http://www.clevelandplus.com/thebrand.asp

Call it what you want, but thats a market equivilent to Chicago, Boston, etc. Thats not mentioning the rest of the cities in Ohio, like Cincinnati, Columbus, Toledo who all root for the Cavaliers. Thats a population of 11,000,000.

FOXsportsOHIO network caters to every city in Ohio and every Cavs game is televised on that channel.

Northeast Ohio has so much to offer. With major hubs such as Cleveland,
Akron, Canton and Youngstown plus the hundreds of cities and towns
in between, it covers over 6,000 square miles and is home to over
four million people.

okay so if nyc "absorbs" the rest of NYS which is the same thing that this clevlend plus plan sounds like, NYS would have over 19,500,000 people.

Cleveland plus seems like a bunch of words with no real meaning. I'm not quite understanding it. clevelend is trying to absorb most of ohio? it's not tangible it's an "idea". sounds almost like evryone has each others back from what i'm reading

Cleveland+ is an entirely new way to look at Northeast Ohio — as one
united region leveraging all of our strengths to compete for new businesses,
leisure travelers, conventions and meetings.

north east ohio is north east ohio. the population doesn't change. Nothing i read changes anything. ohio just want to band together for economic prosperity.

but if you want to go that route everyone in the entire new york state, plus new jersey, plus long island would be potential customers for bron or anyone else with that talent and personality

ohio just want to band together for economic prosperity.

And what's wrong with that? You can't blame Ohio for eluding the whole 'crabs in a barrel' mentality of disregarding one another for personal rewarding. Cleveland Plus unites a region that has dealt with tough economic times and plans on banking off by coming together and being represented as one. That's the problem with today's society, people want to accredit this 'individual poverty' mind state that only holds back everyone else that wants to escape their fate. This gets deeper than basketball of course, nonetheless it reflects the comment you made.

It may sound like a bunch of words to you being on the outside looking in - but to people who've grown up in this region, this is unbelievable ideal brought to the people; by the people.

Like Meth stated when him and I had a conversation- there's an Ethiopian proverb that states "when spiders unite, they can tie up a lion". This 'Cleveland Plus' ideal is nothing less than that of a strategy.

And of course NJ, Long Island and all of the New York state would become potential customers because that's the surrounding areas. It doesn't take more than a thought to put that together...

Cleveland is NOT Boston, Chicago, LA, NY or Dallas... Stop all that nonsense.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

ohio just want to band together for economic prosperity.
And what's wrong with that? You can't blame Ohio for eluding the whole 'crabs in a barrel' mentality of disregarding one another for personal rewarding. Cleveland Plus unites a region that has dealt with tough economic times and plans on banking off by coming together and being represented as one. That's the problem with today's society, people want to accredit this 'individual poverty' mind state that only holds back everyone else that wants to escape their fate. This gets deeper than basketball of course, nonetheless it reflects the comment you made.

It may sound like a bunch of words to you being on the outside looking in - but to people who've grown up in this region, this is unbelievable ideal brought to the people; by the people.

Like Meth stated when him and I had a conversation- there's an Ethiopian proverb that states "when spiders unite, they can tie up a lion". This 'Cleveland Plus' ideal is nothing less than that of a strategy.

And of course NJ, Long Island and all of the New York state would become potential customers because that's the surrounding areas. It doesn't take more than a thought to put that together...

i don't blame them for anything. i know it goes deeper than basketball. i don't wish any ill will towards the state of ohio. i'm aware of it's rich history. no sarcasm whatsoever. i don't like to see other americans struggle, i just want a great basketball team
happy.gif

that comment had to do with me i'm honestly not understanding what their plan is...

what is clevelend plus? a term? a thought? new border lines? i'm not seeing it as a tangible thing. it seems like an ideal of sorts.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

leave, live. It was a typo. My bad, in this case it totally changes the meaning of the sentence 180 degrees.
laugh.gif
Score 1 for P.S 192.
thank you

it still doesn't make much sense because then you are saying Cleveland is a big city and in the same category as chicago population wise

oh and i went to ps 196. you were damn close
laugh.gif
I went to PS 193.....

Creepy...

plenty of businesses and chain resturants have ads specifically for new york. i remember mcdonalds and subway off the top of my head.

You know this happens all over the country right? We have adds with people related to Dallas/Texas that aren't going to be aired in NYC, Chicago, LA, etc...This isn't something "special" to New York.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

plenty of businesses and chain resturants have ads specifically for new york. i remember mcdonalds and subway off the top of my head.

You know this happens all over the country right? We have adds with people related to Dallas/Texas that aren't going to be aired in NYC, Chicago, LA, etc...This isn't something "special" to New York. 

of course i do. the point is he will get new local spots that he obviously wouldn't have gotten if he stayed in CLE. There are obviously gonna be more local spots looking for his services because there are more businesses in new york than most places.

the local ads are just a tiny addition to the of clubs, bars, CLOTHING, restaurants, gyms, books, television shows that will come with NYC

and yes if lebron released clothing, the company would do better in one of the fashion capitals of the world and the main one in america

It doesnt matter if you're not in the big 3 cities anymore with NBA leauge pass, 24 hr sports highlights and internet, everybody knows who's good now. In fact here are only a few markets that players dont think are attractive......Utah, Toronto, Detroit,Milwaukee,Minnesota and Indiana.

People who live in NY, LA and Chicago think everybody wants to live there but they really dont. If you're a player what does New York City have to offer you that Orlando doesnt?

Snow?

Night life? Players have enough money to fly to New York and party or fly girls from other parts of the country to their NBA city. Plus nobodys in their business and writing about it on message boards.

This aint 1986....This is 2010....the world is flat now....If you travel around, you realize everything is becoming more and more homogenic.

Thank you Mister Friendly. That's practically what I've been saying during this whole debate.

Like I said a while back....Utah = NYC. Period.

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

It doesnt matter if you're not in the big 3 cities anymore with NBA leauge pass, 24 hr sports highlights and internet, everybody knows who's good now. In fact here are only a few markets that players dont think are attractive......Utah, Toronto, Detroit,Milwaukee,Minnesota and Indiana.

People who live in NY, LA and Chicago think everybody wants to live there but they really dont. If you're a player what does New York City have to offer you that Orlando doesnt?

Snow?

Night life? Players have enough money to fly to New York and party or fly girls from other parts of the country to their NBA city. Plus nobodys in their business and writing about it on message boards.

This aint 1986....This is 2010....the world is flat now....If you travel around, you realize everything is becoming more and more homogenic.
I agree. That's a good point. Not even being sarcastic. 

OKC has awesome fans
Then how come they don't consistently fill the arena? There's no excuse to not have a packed house there every night.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

alex-rodriguez.10.si.jpg
to
Boston+Red+Sox+v+New+York+Yankees+BpVgq0YIiOel.jpg

I'm just saying.

I dont get what you are saying? I dont see many more endorsements for A-Rod now then I did when he was with the Rangers. I think he picked up Nike and Pepsi( Pepsi has dropped him) post 2004 but its debatable if he couldve probably picked up those endorsments if he was with Rangers and they were winners.

Also you have to consider what the big market media has done to his private life? He got divorced partilly due to a New York Post expose on his sex life.

Yes if you're a good player on a losing small market team its probably harder to get endorsements but if you're a good player on a losing big market team, I dont think it makes it easier to get endorsements.

I think the constant is winning and being succesful in your sport.

You can't post city population numbers and judge the size of the market. New York is a city driven market most of their population is in the city. Where you have Atlanta or Dallas which are two huge markets but if you look at population of the city are comparable to Cleveland or any other city. But Atlanta and Dallas have large metro areas where everyone in the area spread out and does not live in the Atlanta or Dallas address. You need to find the metro populations to compare size of cities and not just the population of the city.

Back
Top Bottom