Most Overrated "Legend" In Music.

You just said Bob Marley is overrated, but you have the audacity of dropping Jimi and Led Zeppelin as the underrated bunch that deserve more praise than Marley? Are you being serious right now? How old are you?

IDK about overrated, but Bob Marley has more fake fans than almost any artist.

How many suburban stoners had Bob Marley posters in their freshman dorm rooms? After hearing "I shot the sheriff" four times on blunt cruises?

I have yet to run into an actual Marley fan in person that knows what they're talking about.

Gotta agree with BIG and Snoop being in the overrated category.

I can respect you as a person and we might even be friends...but I'll never respect the music opinion of anyone who says BIG is overrated.

I can respect you as a person and we might even be friends...but I'll never respect the music opinion of anyone who says BIG is overrated.
What did he do that changed rap or inspired?  Only reason why he's considered a legend (in my opinion) is because of his early demise and it being connected to Pac and the whole East/West beef.

But who are the other legends in rap that we can compare BIG, Pac, and Jay to that they would be overrated?  They are THE legends.  I mean, who's left?

I quit.  I seriously hate this entire conversation.
That's what I'm getting at there is only a handful of legends (I'm talking about hip hop) and that's why I say Jay because I believe out of the few legends his talents are the most overrated compared to the others with BIG being a close second

What did he do that changed rap or inspired?  Only reason why he's considered a legend (in my opinion) is because of his early demise and it being connected to Pac and the whole East/West beef.

He's inspiration for countless rappers today, but those reasons u listed are enough to consider him a legend especially at that time when hip-hop was just gaining radio play, commercializing

The points you made about Pac are the same people can make about Bob Marley. You bash people for not appreciating his lyricism or impact on culture, when thats exactly what Pac was known for.

Um, not you can't.

Bob Marley single-handedly made Raggae what it is today worldwide. Because of him and his music, he was able to spread his message of love and peace throughout the whole world and was even able to temporarily stopped a civil war in Jamaica and brought together two political rivals. Bob Marley touched people worldwide and continues to do so even in death. The same cannot be said about Tupac. His influence outside this country is minimal, and his influence in Rap doesn't come close to what Bob did with Raggae.

This thread started off HORRIBLY
roll.gif

I agree with the fake Bob Marley fans though (No hipster)

Neil Young and Bob Dylan both had unconventional voices but are considered legends because of their song writing ability.

I won't speak on Tupac because around here you get chastised for not liking him.
I don't like Kurt Cobain either.[/quote

I hear ya on the Young/Dylan thing..Their songwriting abilities are very well deserved, but like you I think their voices are just terrible..Especially Dylan..I've heard tons of songs by him cause my mom likes him and would play his songs when I was growing up, so I can form my opinion of of hearing alot of his music, and dudes voice is so bad you can barely understand his lyrics..

Go ahead and speak on Tupack..Dude is so overrated..If he was still alive today he wouldn't be thought of nearly as fondly as he is..I've heard a bunch of rappers say they like him, but very rarely have I heard many rappers. outside or even inside the the West Coast, say he was a big influence..And that's what makes a legend..A legend has to have a musical and social impact, and I just don't think Pack had either one..He realisticaly wasn't a great lyricist, I don't ever remember him being applauded for his writing ability, he didn't do any of his own beats that I'm aware of and he only made 1 really good album..All that adds up to a rapper that had a pretty good career, but not a legendary one..

And Kurt Cobain has got to be THE MOST OVERRATED "ARTIST" OF THE LAST 20 YEARS..Even more so than 2Pic..

Last edited:
The thing about Snoop Dogg is that he's not overrated, he just stopped caring after 1993. He is a good rapper, he just hasn't bothered to do anything worthwhile in almost 20 years.

by far biggie to me

im a fan of his music too, i just disagree with the pedestal he's put on

The thing about Snoop Dogg is that he's not overrated, he just stopped caring after 1993. He is a good rapper, he just hasn't bothered to do anything worthwhile in almost 20 years.

true, his old stuff with dre is good, but the new stuff is bad and whats with changing his name to Snoop Lion?:rofl:

BIG is definitely first in mind. Two great albums but that's it, just two.
Lauryn Hill....she's not even a legend but everyone calls her a legend because of one album she released over a decade ago
Jay Z. I bought every album and I'm a fan but he's not what people say he is. Son has been dumbing down music since Vol. 2 minus a few songs.
Snoop Dogg has been spitting the same verses since 99. I applaud him though, don't know how he got away with it for this long.
2 out of 2 aint bad. i guess he shouldnt have went and died so he coulda made more albums.

2 out of 2 aint bad. i guess he shouldnt have went and died so he coulda made more albums.

2-2 is good, I'm just saying. Dead rappers get more respect than living rappers. If he didn't die, his legacy would have been different. We don't know how, maybe his third album would have been his best or maybe it would have been the most commercial soft album we ever heard. I'm just not placing him in my top 5 off two albums.

Wish we coulda got just one more album from BIG..

Woulda put to rest all this overrated or underrated talk.

Back
Top Bottom