Motorcyle Riders.. I got a ? about insurance..

Im 22 looking to get a bike i found a good condition R1 for cheap.. i was just plannin on just buying it and getting the insurance next year... but before ido.. how much is insurance all together... i have insure the bike and me right? whats the cheapest and best?.. any estimates?

Get the highest coverage you can...
Newbies shouldn't start on an R1.
It's an accident waiting to happen.

Seriously, try starting out on a smaller bike.
I pay $300 for a year for liability with one at fault accident from a few years back.
Full coverage can cost ~$2000.
It all depends on your driving history, location, and the vehicle you're driving.

i dont really know much about bikes right now.. would it be too powerful?.. i know someone sellin it for only $3000 and it has low miles and barely ridden

$2000 full coverage for a year + the 300?.. well i've had a regular drivers license for about 3-4 years already.. im in the bay area so im guessingit'd be more

That might be to much bike for you. Your looking at something with 160 + hp, and with the high power to weight ratio, asking for an accident.

get a lower cc bike it is much safer for a beginner and its cheaper to insure too
taking a MSF course might lower your insurance too

im plannin on taking the course.. whats a good cc for a starter?.. im 5'9 175lbs not too muscular though..lol im also lookin to just by used..

250 is what most will say on here, but just get the 600. i started on my 600, i never go fast on my bike. I have hit 145 though on open highway, but im tryingto be a safe biker.

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

250 is what most will say on here, but just get the 600. i started on my 600, i never go fast on my bike. I have hit 145 though on open highway, but im trying to be a safe biker.

im all for starting off on a smaller bike, but would you really take the suggestion of wanting to ride a 250cc bike?
laugh.gif
part of wanting to ride is becauseyoure a speed addict (in my defense at least) but whats your purpose? just to look cool? save gas? hobby? straightline or canyon carving? etc... generally,start with a 600/750. ride it until you feel youre ready to move up to a 1000. but like most things, some people find different levels to start off of: 250,600, 1000, 1300
laugh.gif
take the class, youll be throwing those tiny 250cc bikes around the corners like nothing. i owned an R1. theyre a different beast comparedto when i rode a gsxr 750. R1s are more nimble/lighter while GSXRs are stable/heavier...to each their own. ride safe

You better make sure you take the motorcycle safety course. After i completed the class i bought a gsxr 1k.
Starting with an r1 with no experience isn't a good idea imo.
You can never be too safe...if something happens to you and you don't have full coverage you might be in trouble.

Originally Posted by Sha77er S7ar I

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

250 is what most will say on here, but just get the 600. i started on my 600, i never go fast on my bike. I have hit 145 though on open highway, but im trying to be a safe biker.

im all for starting off on a smaller bike, but would you really take the suggestion of wanting to ride a 250cc bike?
laugh.gif
part of wanting to ride is because youre a speed addict (in my defense at least) but whats your purpose? just to look cool? save gas? hobby? straightline or canyon carving? etc... generally, start with a 600/750. ride it until you feel youre ready to move up to a 1000. but like most things, some people find different levels to start off of: 250, 600, 1000, 1300
laugh.gif
take the class, youll be throwing those tiny 250cc bikes around the corners like nothing. i owned an R1. theyre a different beast compared to when i rode a gsxr 750. R1s are more nimble/lighter while GSXRs are stable/heavier...to each their own. ride safe
I just remember a post a while ago on here, where almost everyone was trying to convince the guy to get a 250 and sell it once he got the hang ofit. They were like its a better overall process. And for me driving slow, im just starting out, so im trying make this last. I have a lot of speed tickets frommy car. Have you ever been pulled over on your bike?

i do motorcycle insurance for a living. id like to help you out but im in new york. far as your original question about insurance, here in ny a person your agewith a clean driving record would be looking at $800. i dont know what u mean by 'insuring the bike and myself'. coverage breaks down into liability(OTHER people getting hurt in an accident ur invovled in, including your passengers. in ny the owner of the bike is not covered for medical, so if u crash andget hurt, be ready to pay your own bills. you can get theft coverage on its own and u can get full coverage (liability, theft, collision). collision on bikesis super expensive so dont get it unless theres a bank telling you that u need it. like i said theres are the rules for ny, i dont know about cali, call anagent and find out. oh btw, yes a r1 will be more expensive to insure than a r6, here a r6 will be about $400-500 for liability in the city, long island, maybe$200 a year.

my cousin told me its an 2004 R1, the last year they made it with the side exaust (thats what he told me, its his friends bike).. but i checked and i only seeR6s with the side exaust.. im thinking its an R6 now..

Back
Top Bottom