MOTOROLA DROID OWNERS?? Come in! Vol. Tips, Tricks, Advice, Apps, etc.

so i decided to continue another 2 year contract with verizon, so i ended up coppin the Droid. So far, so good, cept the Facebook application is a straight joke, the notification bar doesnt update properly, and the i find it annoying how all these background applications are always running in the background even if you terminate them.

anyways, do you guys have any tips, tricks, advice for this device? thanks!

also are there any ways, to:

1) take a screenshot?
2) copy and paste?
3) get more than 3 pages of apps?

a) there is, but you have to root.
2) hit menu+2 then select text
III) there are home replacements that will give you 2 more screens. Or you can wait for the 2.1 update that i believe will give you 2 more screens. you can always just create a folder and dump stuff in there.

how do you take out a app. on the home page? i have 3-" Car homes" i want to remove from the home page, Thanks in advance

Spoiler [+]
Add/remove widgets
To add:
  • Press the Home button
  • Select Menu > Add > Widget
To remove: Select and hold then widget, drag it to the trash can that appears where the application window was.

Optimize Battery Life
  • Press the Home button > Menu
  • Select Add > Widgets > Power Control
    This Widget will easily allow you to turn off services that drainbattery, like Wi-fi, Bluetooth, Screen briteness, e-mail and facebooksync, and GPS
Import contacts
From SD card:
  • Insert SD card with vCard file (in root)
  • Go to Contacts > Menu > Import/Export > Import from SD card
From Outlook
From Verizon Backup Assistant
Guide to Importing Contacts & Calendar on your Droid

Merge Contacts
Merge/Join contacts on the Motorola Droid

Sync Outlook Calendar
Sync Motorola Droid Calendar (Gmail) with Outlook Calendar

Programming Menu
Droid Programming Menu

Yahoo Mail
Setup Yahoo mail on the Motorola Droid

Watch Youtube Videos in high resolution
When watching a video select Menu > More > Watch in high quality

Viewing Notifications
Simply touch the top status bar and slide down

Pairing a Bluetooth Headset
  • Press the Home button > Menu
  • Go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Bluetooth > Bluetooth settings
  • Put your headset in pairing mode
  • Select Scan for devices
  • Your headset should come up in the list - if there's a password, enter it (probably 0000)
  • You should now be able to connect to the headset
Bluetooth Profiles
Droid Bluetooth Profiles

Switch applications/recently used
Simply hold down the Menu key

Delete a single call or message
Select the message or call you want to delete and hold - a window of options will pop up and you can select 'delete'.

Delete a bookmark
Long press the bookmark and select Delete bookmark

Save a picture
Save pictures (MMS or browser) by long pressing them. An option to save will appear.

Load files from your computer
  • Connect your Dorid to your computer using provided USB cable
  • Go to Notifications by touching the top status bar and sliding down
  • Select USB Connected
  • Notification > Select Mount
  • You should now see the Droid as a drive in explorer or finder
  • When you're done moving files, go to Notifications and select Turn off USB storage
Set audio file/mp3 as ringtone
Open the file you want to set as a ringtone in the media player - click the menu - set as ringtone
Crop mp3's and audio files to use as ringtones or notifications on the Droid

Set ringtones per contact
Go to Contacts - Select a contact - Select Menu > Options - Underringtone choose the ringtone you'd like to set for this person.

Set tones per Notification
If you go to the individual application that you want to set the notification for you can change it there under the menu.
For example. Click on Messaging > Menu > Settings - scroll down to Notifications - there is a setting for ringtone or vibrate. (same steps for e-mail and Facebook)

Crop Audio Files
Crop mp3's and audio files to use as ringtones or notifications on the Droid

Save word to dictionary
While typing - when a word comes up, longpress it. It will be added to the dictionary

Speed Dial
Add Speed Dial on the Droid (direct dial)

Copy/Paste
  • In any text field - long press
  • Edit text will appear
  • Cut all and Copy all will be among the options.
  • If you have something on the clipboard Paste will be an option
Lock a Text Message
  • Go to Messaging
  • Open a conversation
  • longpress an individual text message - an option will appear to Lock message
  • to unlock long press the locked message and select Unlock message
Stop Running Applications
  • Select Settings
  • Applications
  • Running services
  • Select the desired service
  • Stop
Traffic Reroute
Google Maps Navigation - Droid GPS Traffic Reroute

Sync iTunes
Sync iTunes with your Motorola Droid for Free!

Tether
Tether your Motorola Droid and use it as a modem

More Home Screens
Add more home screens on the Droid

Safe Mode
  • With the phone off, slide open the keyboard open
  • Press and hold the Power+Menu button (on the keyboard)
  • Continue to hold until the "Droid Eye" comes up and you feel the phone vibrate
  • Phone should start up and say "Safe Mode" in the bottom left-hand corner
  • Explanation- This starts only the core Android processes. This is best used fordiagnosing if a 3rd party application is causing your phone tomalfunction or if you cannot uninstall if when in regular mode.
  • TRYTHIS FIRST if you are having any problems with your phone acting up,especially with the built-in Android apps (example - Messaging app iscrashing. Boot in Safe Mode. If app doesn't crash when doing what youwere doing in regular mode, it's most likely going to be a 3rd partyapp with access to messaging that is causing a problem.)
  • BEAWARE that after coming out of Safe Mode, 3rd party widgets might notdisplay properly on the home screen. Press and hold on the widget anddrag it down into the trash can, then readd it to the home screen. Thiswill fix the "problem loading widget" error.
Manual
If all else fails: http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/mot_droid/droid.pdf

hold on to the app, the tab on the bottom will show a trash icon and just drag it to there until it gets red. it'll delete it from the homescreen

Should I wait for the Nexus 1 that is speculated to be released(for Verizon) within the next month, or just cop the droid? My 2 year contract is up and I renew my contract on a monthly basis so I can upgrade when I feel like I can make a firm decision.

Can anyone give me a quick run down of the pros/cons of choosing a Nexus 1 over the Droid?

do you want a hardware keyboard or touchscreen keyboard? Nexus one is faster since I believe it's running on a snapdragon processor. But the Droid is a great phone, i've had mine since launch and i haven't experienced any problems until now.. the speaker goes out randomly and i can only hear stuff when im on speakerphone. going to get it fixed/swapped. but other than, i love my droid.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

do you want a hardware keyboard or touchscreen keyboard? Nexus one is faster since I believe it's running on a snapdragon processor. But the Droid is a great phone, i've had mine since launch and i haven't experienced any problems until now.. the speaker goes out randomly and i can only hear stuff when im on speakerphone. going to get it fixed/swapped. but other than, i love my droid.
The hard keyboard is much more convenient, but not enough to make me base a decision off of that.

How is are the FB/Twitter/AIM/etc apps on the droid (all the android devices share the same 'app' store, correct?)

Originally Posted by derventa

The hard keyboard is much more convenient, but not enough to make me base a decision off of that.

How is are the FB/Twitter/AIM/etc apps on the droid (all the android devices share the same 'app' store, correct?)
They are the reason to buy this phone. As well as Pandora. I love mine. It's replaced my alarm clock, mp3 player, and now I have a GPS. I also can check email/text and receive phone calls in one device. Amazing.

^i must reiterate one more time that the FACEBOOK application SUCKS compared to the iphone one. i have no idea what the developers are doing.

1) Notificatons dont update properly,
2) You CANT check your INBOX or REQUESTS (events, friend requests, etc) using the application, all it does is route you to the online wap version of facebook.
3) No Chat option.

AIM on the otherhand is much better than the iphone.

Originally Posted by wcghost

^i must reiterate one more time that the FACEBOOK application SUCKS compared to the iphone one. i have no idea what the developers are doing.

2) You CANT check your INBOX or REQUESTS (events, friend requests, etc) using the application, all it does is route you to the online wap version of facebook.
3) No Chat option.

You can always download a different facebook application. Fbabble (or something like that, I forgot the name of it, I dunno if it's still available) had a chat option.

For anyone wondering about the nexus one, it's easily one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I have mine running the Passion ROM. Oh my goodness, is it amazing.

Originally Posted by derventa

I have no complaints about the touch-screen keyboard on the Droid. Matter of fact, I've NEVER (and will never) use the QWERTY.

I love my Droid. Hated it for the first 2hrs I had it. But only because I wasnt used to it yet and I had second gussings about ditching my blackberry. But I would question getting a droid now. Easily the best phone ive ever owned.

yea, i just got a droid after a couple years using the blackberry. I was afraid that i wouldn't like the OS, but its great and operates like a champ. OS seems a little more stable than my blackberry tour and storm that ivve owned. I dont need to reboot it at all, the blackberry seemed to need a boot once in a while.

Check out the following apps:
Pandora ( best radio app)
tv.com (watch full episodes of CBS shows...kinda cool)
Android Mate (easy way to kill apps an organize)

3) No Chat option.

this man speaks the truth, they did a bad job. The only decent thing is the face book widget

i went from the g1 to the 9700 and the only thing i miss is my gmail. i hate how the gmail is setup on the blackberry. i got important emails saved in my gmail that i cant get too. and 9 out of 10 of my emails dont even come in right
smh.gif

like i said in another thread, android os is going to be something serious in 5years

These apps are must have...

Pandora
iMusic
SMS pop up
Weather Channel
advanced task killer
Live scores
Photobucket

Originally Posted by popcornplaya

3) No Chat option.

You can always download a different facebook application. Fbabble (or something like that, I forgot the name of it, I dunno if it's still available) had a chat option.

For anyone wondering about the nexus one, it's easily one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I have mine running the Passion ROM. Oh my goodness, is it amazing.

What carrier do you have it on? My contract is up on the 13th with Verizon and I dont want to cop the Droid if the Nexus one is coming out soon. Anybody know the actually release date?

Twitter Apps:
Twidroid
Touiteur (sp?)

Home Replacement Apps:
PandaHome
Home++
Open Home

Other apps i use:
Handcent SMS
iMusic
Meridian Music Player (better than the stock music app, also plays video)
Beautiful Widgets (paid app, but i might be able to dop a dime
nerd.gif
)
Dolphin Browser (better than the stock internet app)

I just got my droid last night so I am getting ready to start playing around with it tfor the next few days, can anyone help me out if giving up my blackberry storm2 for the droid was a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom