Moving to Bay Area...North Santa Clara??

Fellow NTers,

I got offered a job in the south bay (San Jose area) and I am wondering if I should take the job. It is a pay raise but I have heard Santa Clara County is the most expensive housing/rental area in CA so I dont know if I would be poorer there. If i worked near San Jose what city could I live in that is family friendly, clean, and would not break my bank (I have wife and son). I have only lived in SoCal before.

Thank you

Last edited:
what is yur budget cause 45 min comute you can live in a lot of places comfortably depending on yur budget

Working in San Jose you can live outside of San Jose easily. Although San Mateo county isn't going to help you much because it is still expensive here too. If you don't mind Gilroy, Morgan Hill your commute might be 30-45 mins but it will be cheaper to live.

Thanks guys I thought I was getting ignored cuz I'm from SoCal.

Hmm. I guess I would want 3 rooms for less that $1800/month. 2 rooms would be fine

Last edited:
3 rooms for less then 1800 a month will not happen in San Mateo County. I'm pretty sure the east bay might be better for that range.

Thats what I hear but I love the beach. What beach do you guys go to? What the best stuff to do with the family on the weekend?

Yeah you can go to a giants game, or when football season starts go to a 49ers game! 
happy.gif

What do you guys think of Gilroy? Housing seems pretty affordable? How far is it from SJ realistically?

BTW I took the job.

Last edited:
gilroy would definitely be affordable, but i'd heavily consider what ELJEFE wrote. i think milpitas or fremont will be fine.

if i could come up with a socal analogy (distance-wise not counting traffic) and your job was in LA, i'd say gilroy to san jose is like... magic mountain to LA. moving to fremont or milpitas would be like moving to downey. its closer, and you're more in the actual metro area instead of the outskirts.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the N.Santa Clara( Tasman / Montague Expressway) area? It seems close to SJ. A friend said there are mad apartments in the area and they are pretty nice. We are driving the area tomorrow but from what i remember it was really industrial and officey (i know its not a word)

Thoughts?

I am staying in Fremont this weekend and its nothing special. The Auto Mall/Costco area is cool but man all I see is office parks :frown:
The mrs doesnt look too happy we made the move.
Im hoping to take her to San Fran or Santa Cruz while we are out here so she gains some appreciation for the bay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom