Moving to California late this year, NT Fam give me your input

Sorry not the thread jack, but there may be a job opportunity for me in Laguna Nigel, CA. Anyone have suggestions on where to move near that area where it isn't too expensive and the commute isn't too bad?

I saw some apartments in Laguna Nigel, but they were kind of pricey. Trying to find areas where it's good for families and not too long/far of a commute.

Laguna Nigel is a good family place. Very safe neighborhoods, lots of parks, and above average schools.

I have cousins that live in the area off of Alicia & Marguerite right past Lake Mission Viejo.

You should be able to find a 2 bedroom for $1800 to 2000 range. Stay in this area if you can fit it in your budget. Not worth going to other shady bad neighborhoods up the 5 Fwy.

Traffic though is always terrible at rush hour and even on the week ends. The traffic starts bunching up right there around the Alicia, Oso Pkwy, and El Torro exits on the 5 Fwy as the free way splits where the 5 Fwy & 405 Fwy are.

Oh and Laguna Niguel to Irvine is usually a 20 minute drive but usually will turn into a hour or longer ride due to traffic.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the insight. My phone interview went well yesterday. Supposed to hear back sometime today, if they decide to move forward with me.

Hoping I can get back to CA (From NorCal). Living in the East Coast is so different.

Sorry not the thread jack, but there may be a job opportunity for me in Laguna Nigel, CA. Anyone have suggestions on where to move near that area where it isn't too expensive and the commute isn't too bad?

I saw some apartments in Laguna Nigel, but they were kind of pricey. Trying to find areas where it's good for families and not too long/far of a commute.
costa mesa sometimes has good deals. Depends on the time of the year your trying to move.

After doing a little research, I found some pretty good deals in Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, and Laguna Niguel. Figured, if we did move for the job, we'd pay more to be near the job. Then the following year, venture out once we get a little more familiar with the area.

Hoping for big things. Interview is tomorrow morning.

How is that area in general though? Quiet? Kid friendly? People chill and tolerant of colored folks? (I'm Filipino lol)

All those cities you mentioned are excellent areas. Quiet and mostly affluent. People for the most part are chill so you should be good.

After doing a little research, I found some pretty good deals in Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo, and Laguna Niguel. Figured, if we did move for the job, we'd pay more to be near the job. Then the following year, venture out once we get a little more familiar with the area.

Hoping for big things. Interview is tomorrow morning.

How is that area in general though? Quiet? Kid friendly? People chill and tolerant of colored folks? (I'm Filipino lol)

Thanks for Thread Jacking :smh:

Nah JK> Its all good :smokin

So I broke the news to my manager last week. I got promoted 2 months ago, so I'm in a better position now.

So now I'm playing the waiting game, waiting for an Internal Position so I can transfer over.

So we have offices in Irvine, Redondo Beach, and Ontario.

Can you guys advise on these areas?

Last edited:
Stay away from Ontario.

Redondo and Irvine are great, what are you looking for?

Can you elaborate for Ontario> There seem to be more positions available there .

Yea I looked up Redondo and Irvine, look good to me.

I would just be looking for a one bedroom apartment for me, my GF, and our small dog.

Ideally I'd like to keep the rent at $1500 if possible, I know it can be a challenge. But I know it's possible.

If I get the right transfer and don't rush it, my salary would increase because of cost of living adjustment compared to Texas.

1.5 in Irvine isn't looking too good, but could do Costa Mesa or Tustin.

Ontario is the desert, not a lot to do and it's super hot and cold out there. Would never live there. Not good schools etc. Much cheaper though.

Check out Fullerton, Brea, Anaheim, and maybe Diamond Bar area but that's not considered OC area anymore. 1500 is definitely a doable price you just gotta look for it.

Dude that said stay away from Santa Ana. I thought Santa Ana is slowly moving up or at least the Downton area?

Do not live that far away from Irvine.

And Brea for 1500 isn't happening. If you are all in on Irvine, Costa Mesa might work.

I should have a clearer picture of which office I would transfer to within 2 months. Right now, I'm stacking as much as I can before the move.

My monthly expenses will go up by $1,000 I'm estimating. :frown:

But it'll be worth it for our lifestyle.

Received a call Friday evening and was offered the job in Laguna Niguel.:pimp: Time to start preparing on moving and researching some apartments.

Seen a couple places in Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel, but some of the reviews are kind of sketch or worrisome. But from the advice I've been given, the area in general is nice.

Thanks for Thread Jacking :smh:

Nah JK> Its all good :smokin

So I broke the news to my manager last week. I got promoted 2 months ago, so I'm in a better position now.

So now I'm playing the waiting game, waiting for an Internal Position so I can transfer over.

So we have offices in Irvine, Redondo Beach, and Ontario.

Can you guys advise on these areas?

IMO, South Bay (Redondo Beach)>Irvine/OC. More centrally located and way closer to LA while still having that suburban life.

But then again, I live in LA and rarely go down to OC let alone Irvine. I have been going down to Fullerton more often with some friends living there now. If you do move to Fullerton, expect to live amongst lots of my Korean people :lol:

So we started looking up apartments near Laguna Niguel and a lot of the reviews are kind of disturbing. Hoping I could find a nice spot not too far work or a privately owned apartment with a good landlord.

Back
Top Bottom