Moving to California late this year, NT Fam give me your input

What's up NT Fam. I've been on NT since 2003 and rarely post but I've made some cool friends on here. Me and my GF are fulfilling our dream to live in California. Some background, so I grew up in the NYC area, then I moved to Dallas Texas for work. I've been here for 3 years now, and there are pros and cons.

It's a low cost of living here, so me and my GF have been able to save up alot. We travel alot and like to do roadtrips. We both have friends in California, and we are now planning to move there. We are looking to settle in the East LA area, specifically somewhere in Orange County hopefully if we find something affordable. My company has an office in Irvine, so I am working towards getting transferred. My GF also is looking to get a transfer somewhere in the vicinity, but we are still exploring options.

So we are fully aware of some of the California caveats, but still want to live in California. We can't take much more of Texas, being liberals you might imagine living in Trump Nation. But this is not the reason we are moving. We've always wanted to live out there, and we are now in a better financial position to do so.

Cons

- Expensive
- Traffic
- High Cost of Living

So our budget we're looking to spend for a one bedroom apartment would be around $1500, I know this is a low number but I know it is possible. We know we are going to compromise alot and give up alot of space, but we're fine with it. We love to be out and about. We want to be able to hit Laguna Beach on a Friday, then drive up North to see the Mountains and hike on Saturday for example. We are adventurers at heart, and love to explore.

So what places do you recommend, and give me some facts about living in East LA. Again to recap, we are a young couple in our Mid 20s, are adventurous, love the beach, love hiking, we have a small terrier dog, and would like to find a One Bedroom apartment for around $1500.

I'd like to be within the circled portion below.

View media item 2293904

Cosign on Fullerton. Nice suburban area and you should be able to find something solid for your budget.

Im going to check it out, anything specific area?
Sounds good, I realized that "East LA" is a sketchy area. What I meant to say is east of LA area. So fullerton is safe and affordable?

Fullerton is more or less a college town, good nightlife and 20 mins to beach.

East LA is awful lol.

Like everyone said, Stay away from East LA lol.
Long Beach is where you want to be at. You can get a nice two bed room apartment for that price or a really nice one bedroom downtown. So many dope neighborhoods( Downtown, Belmont Shore, Bixby Knolls) with good restaurants and things to do, beach living etc. Plus you're really close to the OC and Downtown LA. Almost like in the middle between the both.

My wife has lived in Fullerton and all over LA/OC and I've lived only in the South Bay and Long Beach but we both cant see ourselves living anywhere else and raising our daughter anywhere else.

my boy and his wife just got a place near csulb on bellflower and are paying around 1600 a month

nice area, ample parking and its a college area surrounded by suburban homes. 

East LA and Irvine are a long way apart, the commute would kill you tbh. 

focus on the south LB, cerritos, huntington beach area, maybe even anaheim. 

Last edited:
Irvine is super far from east la. Don't stay there.
I'm sure you can find a nice apartment on the outskirts of Irvine.

Thanks everyone for the input, Originally I meant to say I want to be on the geographic east direction of Los Angeles.

I didn't know there was an region actually called "East LA".

If I get the transfer I would be in Irvine most likely. I know the traffic is bad, but i can probably handle a commute of 45 mins or so each way. My last job was an hour and 15 each way.

Thanks everyone for the input, Originally I meant to say I want to be on the geographic east direction of Los Angeles.

I didn't know there was an region actually called "East LA".

If I get the transfer I would be in Irvine most likely. I know the traffic is bad, but i can probably handle a commute of 45 mins or so each way. My last job was an hour and 15 each way.

If you're working in Irvine and want keep a manageable commute I'd stay away from Long Beach area. You'd be looking at another hour and 15 minute commute. The 405 freeway ain't nothing nice.

Last edited:
IMO:

My guess about the "life stage" you are in Irvine is would be pretty boring, but a good place to transition to the next stage. Irvine is really clean, safe (relatively speaking), but very cookie cutter. That can be a good thing but not exactly the best place to "live and play" if you are in your mid 20s.

Fullerton has a better mix because of downtown and CSUF.

Long Beach commute sounds a little far. If you grew up in NYC - but are used to the Dallas/TX suburban lifestyle, Orange County shouldn't be too big of a shift for you. If you are looking for anything remotely similar to NYC/Manhattan life, then SoCal won't give you that. However, you can't beat the weather and convenience. Beaches and Mountains are accessible.

I'm not really up to date on rental rates but it feels like $1500 for a 1 bedroom should be doable in any of the surrounding cities like Tustin, Costa Mesa, maybe not Irvine itself.

The 5, 405, 55, 91, all of these are terrible for commuting. I guess Metro is an option.

There's a slight chance you will go through some culture shock depending on the demographic diversity you've experienced in life. From what I hear, in the Dallas area Plano is somewhat similar to how it is here. But if you grew up in NYC I'm assuming diversity isn't new to you.

Con: I feel like spots for sneakers are somewhat limited.

IMO:

My guess about the "life stage" you are in Irvine is would be pretty boring, but a good place to transition to the next stage. Irvine is really clean, safe (relatively speaking), but very cookie cutter. That can be a good thing but not exactly the best place to "live and play" if you are in your mid 20s.
Fullerton has a better mix because of downtown and CSUF.

Long Beach commute sounds a little far. If you grew up in NYC - but are used to the Dallas/TX suburban lifestyle, Orange County shouldn't be too big of a shift for you. If you are looking for anything remotely similar to NYC/Manhattan life, then SoCal won't give you that. However, you can't beat the weather and convenience. Beaches and Mountains are accessible.

I'm not really up to date on rental rates but it feels like $1500 for a 1 bedroom should be doable in any of the surrounding cities like Tustin, Costa Mesa, maybe not Irvine itself.
The 5, 405, 55, 91, all of these are terrible for commuting. I guess Metro is an option.

There's a slight chance you will go through some culture shock depending on the demographic diversity you've experienced in life. From what I hear, in the Dallas area Plano is somewhat similar to how it is here. But if you grew up in NYC I'm assuming diversity isn't new to you.

Con: I feel like spots for sneakers are somewhat limited.

^^ Thanks bro you really broke it down. I appreciate the response, still looking.

I grew up in Jersey (Across the river) and worked in NYC so there's no culture shock to worry about. I miss corner bodegas, real Italian pizza, you know the little things. That's actually what I miss, the different ethnicities and restaurants. I've been in Dallas now for a little under 3 years, but I can't anymore. Yes it's a low cost of living, but it's so boring down here. Food is all BBQ, Chain Restaurants, and Tex Mex. Everything closes early.

We are looking to move because we have friends out there, and also we loved it everytime we went to visit. We're also into healthy living, being adventurous, and have liberal views, so naturally California is a great choice.

Yea we're ok with living in something relatively cookie cutter but clean and safe. We're going to look into Fullerton, Irvine area. If I get the transfer, most likely my job will be based in Irvine. I want to keep my commute less than an hour each way.

I would also take a look at Anaheim.

Don't think you'd find anything close to $1500 in Irvine, Anaheim keeps you close to the freeways, Garden Walk, all those Apartments, The Block, Disneyland etc.

Angels suck by the way and not a fan of the OC. Enjoy.

Irvine, Costa Mesa, Cerritos, and Fullerton would be the best areas for you to look into moving to.

Whatevere u do stay the hell away from Santa Ana :lol:

Its ghetto as heck over there.

I would also take a look at Anaheim.

Don't think you'd find anything close to $1500 in Irvine, Anaheim keeps you close to the freeways, Garden Walk, all those Apartments, The Block, Disneyland etc.

Angels suck by the way and not a fan of the OC. Enjoy.

^ yea Anaheim area looks congested from what I've seen.

Irvine, Costa Mesa, Cerritos, and Fullerton would be the best areas for you to look into moving to.

Whatevere u do stay the hell away from Santa Ana :lol:

Its ghetto as heck over there.

^^ Will keep that mind haha

Do Fullerton, hang with me. That's it

^^ I've seen some apartments, my lease is up in September so looking to plan it with time.

Sorry not the thread jack, but there may be a job opportunity for me in Laguna Nigel, CA. Anyone have suggestions on where to move near that area where it isn't too expensive and the commute isn't too bad?

I saw some apartments in Laguna Nigel, but they were kind of pricey. Trying to find areas where it's good for families and not too long/far of a commute.

For a 2 bedroom? Might be able to make it work, but you might have to go up.
If I can find a nice one bedroom, that would work just fine. Daughter is only 19 months old and the need for an extra room isn't necessary at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom