Moving to Los Angeles from the DMV - Sup?

So I recently accepted a tentative job offer for a position in Los Angeles, either in North or West LA. I've never been to LA and was born and raised in the DMV area my whole life. What's there to do & expect? Where are the good/nice neighborhoods or specific places to live? Looks like I won't be moving until mid to late Summer so I have a good amount of time to prepare. Any other suggestions or tips are appreciated!

>D

There's a lot of nice areas with average rent. Places like Downtown LA, Santa Monica, West LA, Hollywood are kinda pricey, but search hard and there's always a deal. The nightlife is great with Hollywood, DTLA, bars, shows, comedy clubs, strip clubs, clubs, restaurants, special events, etc. There's not many bad neighborhoods like its made out to be. Stay away from gang areas however, like Watts, Compton, Inglewood. All those areas have a good side, but not to spoil your experience stay away altogether.

Good luck.

Sorry. What does DMV stand for?

The most important thing is live near work (unless you have kids where then school district is important). You'll appreciate LA a little more if your commute is reasonable.

If you're on westside the following places are worth checking out - Culvery CIty (easy access to freeways), Sant Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, Playa Del Rey, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach - these places are pricey but all have good nightlife/restaurants

I am not a big fan of the valley (unless you go far to Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village). Sherman Oaks is ok.

Pasadena is great with good restaurants and things to do (Huntington, Rose Bowl flea market, colorado blvd). but if you're single, it sucks.

Last edited:
coming from DMV area myself, if you're used to rush hour on the belt way (though i hear its a lot better now compare to 6-8 years ago), then it's no different in LA.
but you'll enjoy cali weather/life, you will want to make the move permanent:D

So I recently accepted a tentative job offer for a position in Los Angeles, either in North or West LA. I've never been to LA and was born and raised in the DMV area my whole life. What's there to do & expect? Where are the good/nice neighborhoods or specific places to live? Looks like I won't be moving until mid to late Summer so I have a good amount of time to prepare. Any other suggestions or tips are appreciated!

grin.gif
West La is nice but pricey, i got a decent place in the southbay, not the best neighborhood but it sure as hell beats downtown traffic. id even try looking into rooming with a student as an option. good way to control cost and save money. 

make that move soon Matt!

once you become a Cali resident, you'll never go back to the DMV..except maybe for holidays to spend time with your family :lol:

make that move soon Matt!

once you become a Cali resident, you'll never go back to the DMV..except maybe for holidays to spend time with your family
laugh.gif
Will agree the weather is tough to beat being in so cal. But, the dating scene sucks (thank god I have a girl). Probably the worst place to date. the below video sums it best:

Pasadena is great. Born & raised here so I'm obviously biased. It's quite a drive from West LA though. I recommend living near your work place. LA = TRAFFIC! You'll love it though. Welcome!

Hey not to thread jack but I'm making the same move from the DMV and I will be working in Santa Monica. Do you guys think that Panorama City, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana are too far away? I was also looking at Crenshaw...and do people still trip over colors out there?:nerd:

If you're black try not to wear too much red or blue (west LA isn't that far from the hood)

expect heavy traffic. ALWAYS...

Public transportation sucks over here, It's not like other cities (atleast from personal experience) a car is NEEDED here.

People here are mostly friendly, but there are knuckleheads here and there.

Once you make the move you'll never want to leave (weather, girls, ALWAYS something to do, food, job opportunities, etc)

Hey not to thread jack but I'm making the same move from the DMV and I will be working in Santa Monica. Do you guys think that Panorama City, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana are too far away? I was also looking at Crenshaw...and do people still trip over colors out there?:nerd:

That's way too far, the 10 fwy will be packed at the times u will need to get on.

If you're looking at Crenshaw it just depends where on Crenshaw ( I live like half a mile from there) try not to wear too much blue/red, some will still trip. It just depends what you are used to I guess. I've had friends come over here and say it's super quiet and safe, and I've had others come and be terrified (on the main streets) lol

Hey not to thread jack but I'm making the same move from the DMV and I will be working in Santa Monica. Do you guys think that Panorama City, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana are too far away? I was also looking at Crenshaw...and do people still trip over colors out there?
nerd.gif
I would not dare make the commute as you're at the mercy of the 405. I would suggest culver city, city of palms, west LA if you plan to work in SM

>D

Just avoid Watts lol jk
There's a lot of good food around here, and good weed hahaha. You should check out Santa Monica or Pasadena, very nice places to live at.

Back
Top Bottom