Moving to Miami

Hi NT - considering a move to Miami.

This is a big step for me as I've lived in the US for 3.5 years (Hoboken, NJ and work in NYC). I'm originally from London England and have been to Orlando but never Miami.

The company I would work for is in Doral, Fl. No idea what the area is like or how easy to commute to

I have 2 kids aged 4 and 2, so will need a good location to live where there are good schools. Budget wise should be ok, I could pay up to $3.5k/month and would need a 2 bedroom minimum. Can anyone suggest any areas that would suit?

Happy 4th y'all - even if it is independence from us Brits 
wink.gif

Doral is west of South Beach and Downtown Miami. 

The Doral area is by MIA International airport so you have a lot of corporate businesses and warehouses around there because of the proximity to the airport. 

It all depends on the lifestyle you and your family would like to live because there are many different sections of south florida that offer a kind of lifestyle for very different people, cultures, and  incomes. 

BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO A HOME....you need to consider the drive and traffic. 

Living in Doral you'll be 45 mins away from everything in Miami basically. But getting to and from work in rush hour traffic can turn your drive to work or home to 1.5 hr. minimum. 

For example, if you want to live by the beach...You would have to live basically across town from Doral by the water and enjoy more of the popular Miami lifestyle 

Since you have young kids you'll probably be looking more for them. 

Doral is located in Miami-Dade County and just north of Miami-Dade County is Broward County. 

Here you will find more of an upscale family lifestyle with newer home developments and houses/townhouses. 

Doral has a famous golf course that host a huge professional golf event and is hosted by/owned by Donald Trump. And there a couple other golf courses that surround that course, so the houses that are on or by the golf courses are nice. 

Not from that part of Miami...I am more on the east side on the beaches.

If I was in your position I probably would look at Miami Shores. Lots of families and children. Diverse group of cultures. The drive to and from work during rush hours is not going to be good, but this is Miami and its like that everywhere. 

Last edited:
Doral is a great area and very up and coming. Lots of industrial warehouses etc as well. t is also surrounded by all the highways you need. Turnpike, Palmetto and 836. You also have 2 malls , Dolphin mall and international mall.

With that price range on a rental you have more than enough. You should be able to find a townhouse for around $1800 easily.

Schools in that area are good as well for your kids.

Now, everything depends on where you would like to travel , hang out etc. If you live and work in Doral area you are good to go. As I mentioned you have all 3 highways to access anything you want. 836 to head towards downtown, beaches.

The gables is nice , more expensive and the drive isn't too bad to doral from coral gables.

Also, it WILL NOT take you 45 to get everywhere from Doral. That is no where near the time frame it takes to travel unless you are stuck in traffic.

As a reference I live in south miami and takes me 20 minutes or less to get to work in downtown.

This is excellent, thanks very much.

I have a 1hr min commute now to Midtown Manhattan and I'm only 2.5 miles away direct distance, so an hour commute considering the distances in Fl dont look so bad 
happy.gif

I'll be sure to do some further research on Coral Gables and will check out Broward county

This is excellent, thanks very much.

I have a 1hr min commute now to Midtown Manhattan and I'm only 2.5 miles away direct distance, so an hour commute considering the distances in Fl dont look so bad 
happy.gif

I'll be sure to do some further research on Coral Gables and will check out Broward county

I work heart in the heart of Doral. Across the street from Trump's Golf Resort.

Doral is a great area. It is currently under pretty heavy development. There is a Downtown Doral area currently being constructed as well as varies new shopping centers.

Thanks - I was looking at some properties/complexes in Doral itself which also look fairly nice. Do you need basic spanish to get by in everyday life in the general area?

If your going to work in Doral you should live in Doral. Great schools and nice houses. Very clean and Upscale. It makes no sense to move to coral gables or broward. Basic Spanish? You can get by without it but it's good to have it. Live and Work on Doral you will love life and your family will as well. Forget about commuting because you will hate life in miami if you do! Worse Drivers ever!

Last edited:
Thanks noted. Some of the places in Doral look great - a lot of new builds in gated communities and it seems new amenities are cropping up all the time. Development of a downtown is interesting too. I'd love to be able to cycle to work if I lived in Doral

Doral is west of South Beach and Downtown Miami. 

The Doral area is by MIA International airport so you have a lot of corporate businesses and warehouses around there because of the proximity to the airport. 

It all depends on the lifestyle you and your family would like to live because there are many different sections of south florida that offer a kind of lifestyle for very different people, cultures, and  incomes. 

BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO A HOME....you need to consider the drive and traffic. 

Living in Doral you'll be 45 mins away from everything in Miami basically. But getting to and from work in rush hour traffic can turn your drive to work or home to 1.5 hr. minimum. 

For example, if you want to live by the beach...You would have to live basically across town from Doral by the water and enjoy more of the popular Miami lifestyle 

Since you have young kids you'll probably be looking more for them. 
Doral is located in Miami-Dade County and just north of Miami-Dade County is Broward County. 

Here you will find more of an upscale family lifestyle with newer home developments and houses/townhouses. 

Doral has a famous golf course that host a huge professional golf event and is hosted by/owned by Donald Trump. And there a couple other golf courses that surround that course, so the houses that are on or by the golf courses are nice. 

Not from that part of Miami...I am more on the east side on the beaches.
If I was in your position I probably would look at Miami Shores. Lots of families and children. Diverse group of cultures. The drive to and from work during rush hours is not going to be good, but this is Miami and its like that everywhere. 
MIAMI IS THE BOMB

Back
Top Bottom