MTA to eliminate Student Metrocards

[h1]MTA bigwigs may cut free passes for students to ride subway and busses[/h1]

alg_students_transport.jpg

Florescu for News
Students hold their free transportation pass in front of 225th St subway station in the Bronx. An MTA plan may take these cards away.

The free ride may be over for New York schoolkids.

The cash-squeezed MTA is considering eliminating free MetroCards for the hundreds of thousands of students who use the passes to get to school, the Daily News has learned.

Under a possible budget-saving measure, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority would charge students half-price fares next year - and full fares starting in 2011, sources told The News.

About 550,000 schoolkids get free or discounted bus and subway passes under a program the state and city once fully funded.

Albany and City Hall slashed student travel funding in the mid-1990s to a combined $90 million a year. Despite rising costs, the state and city contribution has stayed the same since 1995.

That's left the MTA to pay the balance - at least $70 million a year, the most recent available figures show.

City Controller William Thompson - whose office found the MTA shelled out that much in the 2005-06 school year - has joined transit advocates to repeatedly, and unsuccessfully, urge the city and state to pay the full cost of student MetroCards.

The proposal to end free student MetroCards is bound to draw howls of protest from parents, especially those struggling to make ends meet or with more than one child in school.

Eligibility depends on age and how far students live from school, not income.

Despite expected pressure from parents and educators, it's unclear if any agency can step in and solve the MTA's significant budget problems. The state and city are struggling with similar woes.

Mayor Bloomberg warned Friday that less-than-expected state funds for mass transit may balloon the MTA's budget gap to approximately $500 million.

"The state has just got to understand, they have to come up with money to help this organization," Bloomberg said on WOR's "Rambling with Gambling" radio show.

Last night, a member of the Bloomberg administration said City Hall is upset about the student MetroCard proposal and blamed state government officials for cutting transit funding.

"We're extremely concerned about this and have serious problems," the City Hall staffer said. "We very angry with the MTA and furious with Albany for creating a situation where this option is a possibility."

Gov. Paterson, asked in general about MTA funding Friday in Albany, said the state has no more money to provide.

"We had to cut the budgets of all agencies and entities and still wind up ... short of our goal," Paterson said. "New York is running out of money."

The News reported Friday that the MTA is expected next week to put back on track a sweeping package of budget cuts. It includes eliminating 21 local bus routes with relatively low ridership or some other transit option nearby.

In recent weeks, Paterson and the Legislature slashed MTA funds by $143 million. The MTA can't expect those funds to be restored next year, doubling the fiscal blow, Bloomberg said. Meanwhile, payroll tax revenues dedicated for mass transit have come in about $200 million below the state's forecast. With Glenn Blain

MTA is ridiculous
smh.gif

sidenote..sons waves is spinnin
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Let me help you out..

[h1]MTA bigwigs may cut free passes for students to ride subway and busses[/h1]

alg_students_transport.jpg

Florescu for News
Students hold their free transportation pass in front of 225th St subway station in the Bronx. An MTA plan may take these cards away.

The free ride may be over for NewYork schoolkids.

The cash-squeezed MTA is considering eliminating free MetroCards for the hundreds of thousands of students who use the passes to get to school, the Daily Newshas learned.

Under a possible budget-saving measure, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority would charge students half-price fares nextyear - and full fares starting in 2011, sources told The News.

About 550,000 schoolkids get free or discounted bus and subway passes under a program the state and city once fullyfunded.

Albany and City Hall slashedstudent travel funding in the mid-1990s to a combined $90 million a year. Despite rising costs, the state and city contribution has stayed the same since1995.

That's left the MTA to pay the balance - at least $70 million a year, the most recent available figures show.

City Controller WilliamThompson - whose office found the MTA shelled out that much in the 2005-06 school year - has joined transit advocates to repeatedly, and unsuccessfully,urge the city and state to pay the full cost of student MetroCards.

The proposal to end free student MetroCards is bound to draw howls of protest from parents, especially those strugglingto make ends meet or with more than one child in school.

Eligibility depends on age and how far students live from school, not income.

Despite expected pressure from parents and educators, it's unclear if any agency can step in and solve the MTA'ssignificant budget problems. The state and city are struggling with similar woes.

MayorBloomberg warned Friday that less-than-expected state funds for mass transit may balloon the MTA's budget gap to approximately $500 million.

"The state has just got to understand, they have to come up with money to help this organization," Bloombergsaid on WOR's "Rambling with Gambling" radio show.

Last night, a member of the Bloomberg administration said City Hall is upset about the student MetroCard proposal andblamed state government officials for cutting transit funding.

"We're extremely concerned about this and have serious problems," the City Hall staffer said. "We veryangry with the MTA and furious with Albany for creating a situation where this option is a possibility."

Gov. Paterson,asked in general about MTA funding Friday in Albany, said the state has no more money to provide.

"We had to cut the budgets of all agencies and entities and still wind up ... short of our goal," Patersonsaid. "New York is running out of money."

The News reported Friday that the MTA is expected next week to put back on track a sweeping package of budget cuts. Itincludes eliminating 21 local bus routes with relatively low ridership or some other transit option nearby.

In recent weeks, Paterson and the Legislature slashed MTA funds by $143 million. The MTA can't expect those funds tobe restored next year, doubling the fiscal blow, Bloomberg said. Meanwhile, payroll tax revenues dedicated for mass transit have come in about $200 millionbelow the state's forecast. With Glenn Blain

the MTA doesn't have the same agenda as the gov't(which is [hopefully] to foster education)

I can understand the rationale, but I don't see why they are going to charge full price starting 2011. I would think you'd want to keep a studentdiscount of some amount

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Having to pay full fare is messed up.

BTW, That kid knew what he was doing leaning his head like that.[/color]
laugh.gif

if i were still in hs i'd be pissed as hell...sucks for the kids though even 1/2 fare is still annoying but i guess in this case it would be better thannothing.

MTA should be sued and the disbanded and run by some competent people. They're just not doing a good job. And this has been the case for the last 10-15years without any intervention or "push" from the state gov't.

They promised no service cuts to offset the fare increase and now they're thinking about cutting a growing list of services (mostly throughout Brooklyn).

Relating to this article, I've never believed kids should receive transportation subsidies to get to school. A discount is ok though.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I can understand the rationale, but I don't see why they are going to charge full price starting 2011. I would think you'd want to keep a student discount of some amount

this.
the least they can do is compromise with a discounted price for students but going from free to full price is
smh.gif

Howd I know there would be at least one comment on that kid's waves?

And about this story, I think its a scare tactic on the part of the MTA.
I dont see them cutting student passes.

Originally Posted by Diego

Howd I know there would be at least one comment on that kid's waves?

And about this story, I think its a scare tactic on the part of the MTA.
I dont see them cutting student passes.

smh.gif
seriously, only gonna be like 2 people in class if they do that

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Relating to this article, I've never believed kids should receive transportation subsidies to get to school. A discount is ok though.

Why not? They're students dude...It's bad enough i have to 90 dollars to get to work everyday..now you're gonna expect an 11 year old to pay thesame? How can anyone under the poverty line with 2-3 kids afford that? What they need to do is stop all the free rides for all New York City Transit workersand their families.

peeped this in the post this morning...good thing i got out when i did....i remember when fun passes were 4 cash...
smh.gif
ahh the good ole days

MTA should be sued and the disbanded and run by some competent people. They're just not doing a good job. And this has been the case for the last 10-15 years without any intervention or "push" from the state gov't.

They promised no service cuts to offset the fare increase and now they're thinking about cutting a growing list of services (mostly throughout Brooklyn).

The MTA is a privately owned company I believe.

i remember when the mta charged not even $2 cash. now its at 2.25
smh.gif
and they still broke? did those new trains empty the wallets that much? yo i depended onthat q27 for 4 years and that #@%#+ always came later than a mofo, on some random +%! schedule
smh.gif
and mta wants kids to pay full? thats extra grime. someonetell me how much money is in making kids pay in full please ( i dont feel like working it out from where i am...)

Originally Posted by sreggie101

i remember when the mta charged not even $2 cash. now its at 2.25
smh.gif
and they still broke? did those new trains empty the wallets that much? yo i depended on that q27 for 4 years and that #@%#+ always came later than a mofo, on some random +%! schedule
smh.gif
and mta wants kids to pay full? thats extra grime. someone tell me how much money is in making kids pay in full please ( i dont feel like working it out from where i am...)
90 dollars for an unlimted monthly metrocard + 550k students = 49.5 mill [h2]
[/h2]

That sucks but what can you do? Here students don't get free passes (there was a pilot program for summer students but I doubt it'll go anywhere) andparents pay for school bus service anyways even outside of the Mpls/St. Paul area. Or if you're within X amount of miles, you walk. I think it's twomiles.

i don't get how you make kids pay to go to school...i under stand school busses come out of our taxes her but to have to pay every month for a metro/buscard...lot of people wouldn't go...

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

MTA should be sued and the disbanded and run by some competent people. They're just not doing a good job. And this has been the case for the last 10-15 years without any intervention or "push" from the state gov't.

The MTA is a privately owned company I believe.
It's not a fully private entity. It's a public use entity governed by the NY State Government. The NY State Governor selects the membersof the MTA board.

Back
Top Bottom