MTA to eliminate Student Metrocards

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Relating to this article, I've never believed kids should receive transportation subsidies to get to school. A discount is ok though.

Why not? They're students dude...It's bad enough i have to 90 dollars to get to work everyday..now you're gonna expect an 11 year old to pay the same? How can anyone under the poverty line with 2-3 kids afford that? What they need to do is stop all the free rides for all New York City Transit workers and their families.
many student in other school districts don't get free busing unless they live above a certain mileage away from the school, (usually >2.5mi, or determined by time, from what I remember)

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

i don't get how you make kids pay to go to school...i under stand school busses come out of our taxes her but to have to pay every month for a metro/bus card...lot of people wouldn't go...
they're not paying for school, they're paying for transportation. I'm not sure how close Public Schools are to everyone, but Idon't see why Metrocards should be free, if a student can reasonably walk to their school.

Some districts here charge $400 a year per student to ride the school bus (its an upfront cost, does not come out of the parents taxes), at least with metrocards you can use them for more than just school
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Relating to this article, I've never believed kids should receive transportation subsidies to get to school. A discount is ok though.

Why not? They're students dude...It's bad enough i have to 90 dollars to get to work everyday..now you're gonna expect an 11 year old to pay the same? How can anyone under the poverty line with 2-3 kids afford that? What they need to do is stop all the free rides for all New York City Transit workers and their families.
laugh.gif
You must want another Transit Strike homie

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

i don't get how you make kids pay to go to school...i under stand school busses come out of our taxes her but to have to pay every month for a metro/bus card...lot of people wouldn't go...
they're not paying for school, they're paying for transportation. I'm not sure how close Public Schools are to everyone, but I don't see why Metrocards should be free, if a student can reasonably walk to their school.

If we limited our high school choices to only those that are walking distance from home,we would be in deep +!@@.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

expect truancy to go WAAY up
Word.

Kids get they little $5-10 a day and be trying to get high before going to school. They went to school cause they had the free Metro, now they going to have todip into they money for something they ain't want to go to in the first place.

I'm obviously not saying every kid is going to do this, but there will be an increase. This is just going to lead to crime.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Diego

they're not paying for school, they're paying for transportation. I'm not sure how close Public Schools are to everyone, but I don't see why Metrocards should be free, if a student can reasonably walk to their school.

If we limited our high school choices to only those that are walking distance from home,we would be in deep +!@@.
in NJ....I had one HS that I could go to...or expect to pay for private school.

Originally Posted by Gabe Gotti

Originally Posted by ninjahood

expect truancy to go WAAY up
Word.

Kids get they little $5-10 a day and be trying to get high before going to school. They went to school cause they had the free Metro, now they going to have to dip into they money for something they ain't want to go to in the first place.

I'm obviously not saying every kid is going to do this, but there will be an increase. This is just going to lead to crime.
smh.gif
Sad case.. lets hope they have more sense than this. Some people actually enjoy school, even if its for the wrong reasons lol.. for me school wasa fashion show
pimp.gif
. Look at me now smh
ohwell.gif
, im still hot though lol
happy.gif

And you had to walk uphill in both directions.

lol...but, technically, yes...since my HS is on a hill...and my parent's house is in the middle of one.

It will be a tragic day in NYC when students miss class because they can't scrape together the metrocard fare to get to school. If you're 16 and dirtpoor.. which many successful NY'ers once were..will you hop the turnstile or take your regents exam? For some, it will come down to this.

I personally would've tried to come up with a system and base it on income... I don't see how a family on welfare is gonna be able to cough up 90 perchild monthly.

Instead of chargin the students they should charge the district. Or if that's not an option charge the students like $40 for the whole year. They'llstill make some money. If the kid loses the card, charge em half price.

At Pitt we ride the PAT for "free" but we pay a transportation fee in our tution. The Pgh Public Schools students gotta pay for them monthly passesthey get at $45-50/mo

It will be a tragic day in NYC when students miss class because they can't scrape together the metrocard fare to get to school. If you're 16 and dirt poor.. which many successful NY'ers once were..will you hop the turnstile or take your regents exam? For some, it will come down to this.

I personally would've tried to come up with a system and base it on income... I don't see how a family on welfare is gonna be able to cough up 90 per child monthly.

Word. (c)

Originally Posted by Nawth21

And you had to walk uphill in both directions.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You two sound like those old people that talk about how hard you had it when you would walk 15 miles in the snow just to get to school.

The fact is there are many many bad neighborhoods in NYC. Ive never been one to cry about the chips being stacked against us, but Ill be damned if I had to goto my local high school.

I think discounted fares would be fair. Here if you ride the city bus you get a student fare otherwise you could take the public school bus routes which tookfoooorever but hey it was free. We also had no choice where we went to school. It was all set by school boundaries.

honestly i think the kids were too spoiled from the start. if there were no free rides from the beginning then no one would be complaining. it's unfair totake something away but it's not like kids were ENTITLED to free transportation to go to school. anywhere outside of nyc, you would have to pay so it'snot like we're getting the short end of the stick.

if kids don't want to go to school just cause they don't want to pay for a bus ride, then i don't see why nyc should even bother giving them a freeeducation, let alone free transportation. i'm guessing they won't even go to college then cause SURPRISE you have to pay for transportation. itshouldn't be the city's duty to make sure kids are going to school, it should be the parents. IMO, if they really have to take it away, then at leastmake it reduced fare.

if they can afford expensive sneakers, ipods, sidekicks, and all other silly stuff why cant they shell out 2.25$ for the fare?

Originally Posted by NLoc

if they can afford expensive sneakers, ipods, sidekicks, and all other silly stuff why cant they shell out 2.25$ for the fare?
cause not all nyc kids have all of that, because their parents cant afford it

PREACH!

The days that I take the 7/Q17 home during the morning or afternoons, it is IMPOSSIBLE (no exaggeration) to find a teen withoutipods/itouches/blackberrys/sidekicks/dunks/etc. The same with when I chill with my dude by Queensbridge--there are so many teens that have expensive as-gear/accessories, I mean its a housing project..
if they really want to go to school, they'll find a way to buy a metrocard (which should be half price, though)

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

PREACH!

The days that I take the 7/Q17 home during the morning or afternoons, it is IMPOSSIBLE (no exaggeration) to find a teen without ipods/itouches/blackberrys/sidekicks/dunks/etc. The same with when I chill with my dude by Queensbridge--there are so many teens that have expensive as- gear/accessories, I mean its a housing project..
if they really want to go to school, they'll find a way to buy a metrocard (which should be half price, though)
What about the kids that don't have that?

R U %#!*@%! mad?
There are working adults complain about the fare
We were paying 1.50 a couple years ago
Granted they(the students)are being subsidized, but why should parents have to come out of pocket to pay for transportation like that?
The MTA disgusts me, especially since the initial hike was under a surplus and a pretty hefty one at that, if I'm not mistaken

Back
Top Bottom