Murderer gives himself away on Yelp.

[h1]Did a Murderer Just Give Himself Away on Yelp?[/h1]
By Jamie Lee Curtis Taete

[img]http://www.vice.com/themes/vice/statics/img/facebook-share-button.gif[/img]

submit

f4b875eae1e3d9be7e4f4ca5b22d592b.jpg

Image via Yelp

On May 3rd, a 36-year-old Iraq war veteran and college student named Maribel Ramos (pictured above right) was reported missing by her family, after failing to turn up to several events in Santa Ana, California. 

bcf57faf2d85ca638e8b8156502912ad.jpg

A couple of days later, a friend of Maribel's named Emily C started a Yelp  thread called "My friend Maribel Ramos is missing!!" in an effort to track her down. 

b1ab628577eeebdcbc9414187e624704.jpg

Somebody posted asking if Maribel's roommate had been questioned by police yet. 

9d7b340ca9bc70f9e13e0c8140e302e9.jpg

This is where the roommate, KC Joy (who is pictured at the very top of this post with Maribel), joined the conversation. Posting that Maribel was his BFF, and giving details of the police's search of the apartment they shared. 

b164a64ae0e8a4de6e16a30542b7c3c3.jpg

Then a user called Grant K joined the thread, pointing out that it was suuuuuuuuuper suspicious that KC was referring to Maribel in the past tense. 

186d9f9c6920f9e605a753e6740a0120.jpg

Some other users weren't too happy with what Grant was implying, and told him off.

302e2e8d1dfb9d58086930a7f2cb502c.jpg

And KC returned to explain that he wasn't intentionally referring to Maribel in the past tense, but was actually having trouble with his English, as he is originally from China. 

563b5448147150c04bff9eb9253f8093.jpg

The next day, KC returned to the thread, and said some weird, kinda suspicious stuff.

b96736d06c6f15d66fe1714d8078a57b.jpg

Like, really, really weird and really, really kinda suspicious stuff.

1622a13312108cf7b6cbf355dbc3fe74.jpg

Then a user named Daniel J came along and offered KC the (very solid) advice of shutting up.

KC thanked him. This was KC's final post in the thread. 

6586e82284dd2d7e83f755aca88ede8b.jpg

On May 17th, exactly 2 weeks after Maribel went missing, Emily C returned to break the news that a body had been found.

The body was found in a canyon after people living nearby reported a foul smell in the area.

8ce9689e810c74b30386aef1b8834713.jpg

Later that day, another user confirmed that the body had been positively identified as Maribel. Her missing persons case was reclassified as a homicide. 

After voluntarily accompanying police officers to the Orange Police Department, KC was arrested and charged with Maribel's murder

168a51c04e3753dbdfd998ded7245061.jpg

Which meant Grant K was (allegedly) right all along. KC could have accidentally let slip that he knew more than he was letting on. 

Kinda like when Reddit tried to track down the Boston bombers, except he was actually right with his accusations, and didn't ruin any people's lives

Unwilling to enjoy this victory in silence, Grant returned to the thread to remind everyone of his prediction and gloat. Douchebag.

This is just weird on so many levels.

I like to be right as much as the next man, but really, that dude Grant is shameless.

wow tht is crazy. If i have a daughter she will never have a male roommate. There are too many crazy people in the world. He was perm friend zoned and couldn't handle it

Cray. Wonder what the motive was.

She probably deaded their "relationship" and he deaded her.
mean.gif

dude was probably feeling her more than she felt him. standard i care about you only as a friend type of thing. Some dudes just can t be accepting of this

Sad that it ended this way. RIP to her and prayers to her fam. 

dudes an idiot

Lets be glad that he is, otherwise he might still be free.

Cray. Wonder what the motive was.

She probably deaded their "relationship" and he deaded her. :smh:  

dude was probably feeling her more than she felt him. standard i care about you only as a friend type of thing. Some dudes just can t be accepting of this
Sad that it ended this way. RIP to her and prayers to her fam. 

Didn't GrantK mention Maribelle was kicking him out or something, which is why he thought it was wierd he was saying how much he loved her and that they were bff. What kind of guy says that, maybe he was gay? That is the only way I see them being roommates. He also spoke about life insurance, and how she was his beneficiary, so maybe he had a policy on her also.

before reading the whole thing, i could definitely see and understand that english is his second language.

Its definitely suspicious, but i hope he gets a fair trial and not guilty before he goes. (outside, not biased opinion)

I think people nowadays are trying too hard to be aware and up on things, ahead of the curve, or astute in general. Look at the tone and attitude of a lot of people in that blog, resounds with the corny average media/news blogger tone you see on Gawker and such sites a lot. Really annoying.

All that snark

And his English difficulty puts the past-tense accusations in peril, IMO. If he's smart enough to get rid of a roommate's body and not leave concrete evidence that they'd find the first few times they searched, why would he snitch on himself like that? He might be creepy, but I don't want to live in a society that equates maleness, awkwardness, and creepiness with guilt...that could be you one day.

Nah but he did it though :x :smh:

Last edited:
Remember watching the local news when she went missing and they were interviewing the roommate. Was thinking it was odd how this old asian dude was living with her and there was no romantic involvement. Not surprised he turned out to be the alleged killer
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom