My cousin needs some help and advice. Legal and Immigration issues.

My cousin was arrested last year in November 2009. He stole from Duane Reade. I think he stole $30-35 worth of stuff. When he was in the store he told me that he never signed a paper claiming that he actually admitted towards stealing anything. He has a court date coming up on March 15. His main concern is that he's an illegal immigrant. He told me that he had a work authorization card when he was younger but it expired in 2004. We both spoke to a criminal lawyer and he said that an acd would be in his best Interest. Basically the lawyer would talk to someone and try to get the case dismissed if he stayed out of trouble for 6 months. When he did get arrested, he was never taken to central bookings, the cop just gave him a DAT and that was it.

We also spoke to an immigration lawyer and he said that there is a possibility that the gov't or the ICE might try to detain him and also try to deport him. My question is how likely is it that this can happen? The lawyer told us that usually they wouldn't report him, because he's only charged with a misdemeanor and they usually report people with felony charges or something big. He's never gotten into trouble before and he's also a college student whose working towards becoming a doctor. His record is completely clean. Both his parents are also illegal but his sister is a US citizen. Also out aunt sponsored his family for their green card and they will have an interview for it in January 2011. He just made a bad decision that day and wishes for the best for himself and his future. He can't afford to get deported and start all over. He has a life here and the US is all he's ever known. We have almost no family back home and there wouldn't be anywhere for him to go.

He's concerned that if he does get the acd and not get detained what are the chances of this effecting him from getting his greencard?

I know NT isn't the best place for this sort of stuff, but I'm hoping someone would be of help.

Thanks

thats what he gets for breaking the law twice. maybe he should have immigrated the legal way and then NOT stolen. its called the contingency requirements of rights. once you violate somebody else's rights, you abandon your own. by violating anothers right to property, he abandoned his right to freedom as well as the privilege of being allowed to stay in the US

NT is not a good place to discuss immigration issues... I feel his pain though, I got fam goin through immigration troubles atm too. I hope everyting works out alright though

Did he get busted by an undercover cop at Duane Reade?
I remember my friend got busted for trying to steal at Duane Reade, turns out this "homeless guy" was an undercover cop.

how does an illegal immigrant get into college. dont you need a valid SSN for a lot of things out there?

Dude is in the US as an illegal immigrant and acting foolish?
smh.gif

I'm sure the lawyer will give you the best advice.

But make sure you get everything set before the trial.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

how does an illegal immigrant get into college. dont you need a valid SSN for a lot of things out there?

You just need cash, a lot of it.

yo i know sometimes kids dont have an option coming over here
tired.gif
............but he should have never been acting foolish
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Theta

thats what he gets for breaking the law twice. maybe he should have immigrated the legal way and then NOT stolen. its called the contingency requirements of rights. once you violate somebody else's rights, you abandon your own. by violating anothers right to property, he abandoned his right to freedom as well as the privilege of being allowed to stay in the US

*slap gif

he already said he had a work authorization card, plus why are you worried about $35 worth if stuff from DR

OP, he will be fine. They wont report him to ICE unless he committed a worse crime. I know someone who has caught a felony before getting their papers and theyre fine know, and better that they havent been booked yet. Ofcourse this was in Florida.

My cousin had a work authorization card. It just expired and he never got a new one. I gov't knows about him and he has an alien number and everything. He just made a bad decision that day.

i guess ill be the one to speak the truth. hes an illegal immigrant and he wants to become a doctor yet he goes and steals $30 worth of stuff? really? really? he deserves to get deported then.

We need Immigration Reform soon! But good luck to your cousin, It could go either way, just get a good lawyer.

Originally Posted by Billy Hoyle

i guess ill be the one to speak the truth. hes an illegal immigrant and he wants to become a doctor yet he goes and steals $30 worth of stuff? really? really? he deserves to get deported then.

I usually dont agree with you but this time I do

how are you going to be a doctor if you are that dum

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

Originally Posted by Billy Hoyle

I usually dont agree with you but this time I do

how are you going to be a doctor if you are that dum
bf136ecf41f6f2910b5d4a52f623698f7abf8608.jpg

Back
Top Bottom