My coworker/boy's about to get fired. Do you think I should let him know?

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

This guy is actually a really good friend of mine, but my manager said to keep it between us, meaning don't tell him. Do you think I should tell him? I'm not gonna go into any details as to why.
Why he's getting fired is kind of important as to if you should tell him or not.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

This guy is actually a really good friend of mine, but my manager said to keep it between us, meaning don't tell him. Do you think I should tell him? I'm not gonna go into any details as to why.
Why he's getting fired is kind of important as to if you should tell him or not.

^^^^^^THIS

does he have a family? Does his job pay the bills or is this his jordan/green money?
need more back story to give an honest answer.

Fine. He basically stopped showing up to work the past two weeks and just got people covering his shifts for him. He says he's got personal stuff going on at home and didn't say anything else. I didn't ask cuz it's none of my business.
He lives with his parents. He's only 20. He doesn't have any bills (that I know of). It's just one of those jobs so his mom doesn't have to buy him everything.

i'd tell my boys right away.  they'd do the same. 

friends> jobs, i've actually been in this situation before.  me and my three best friends worked together.  we all dipped when they fired one for some bs because the owner was drunk and irrational.

Fine. He basically stopped showing up to work the past two weeks and just got people covering his shifts for him. He says he's got personal stuff going on at home and didn't say anything else. I didn't ask cuz it's none of my business.
He lives with his parents. He's only 20. He doesn't have any bills (that I know of). It's just one of those jobs so his mom doesn't have to buy him everything.

Regardless as to how tough things may be in one's personal life (if he's telling the truth) you want to ALWAYS make sure your "superiors" know what's up. It prevents things like this from happening (sometimes). Just let it play out and don't interfere.

If he was really my boy I would have told him after a few days that he was messing up at work already by doing this. He should expect to get fired. Some people are just really stupid. Personal problems do not excuse responsibilities. He obviously does not care enough about his job to tell people what is going on, so he should not expect any special treatment. He's gone and you can't do anything about it. If he thinks it's bs then let him know he messed up.

sounds like your boy is irresponsible and doesn't actually care about the job himself. He should have just made his boss/manager aware of whats going on if the job was important to him.

Originally Posted by Patrik1tha1

sounds like your boy is irresponsible and doesn't actually care about the job himself. He should have just made his boss/manager aware of whats going on if the job was important to him.

Yeah, not showing up to work for 2 weeks will get you fired
laugh.gif
You didn't eem have to tell him, he should have seent it coming

I was in a similar situation before my manager gave me a heads up that he was firing someone because he wanted me to pick up the extra hours I was good friends with her but I kept my mouth shut

well he is going to fin out pretty soon, the only difference it would make is he would have a head start in finding another job.

But I do not envy your situation one bit...

So, should I still not tell him at this point?

Yes. If he's your boy it doesn't matter what he did. It's not like your firing him. At least at this point he can quit before they fire him and still have it be his decision to quit. It's not like he's going to say you told him he's going to be fired.

Originally Posted by Carver

Yeah, not showing up to work for 2 weeks will get you fired
laugh.gif
You didn't eem have to tell him, he should have seent it coming
+1 
- spelling error
=where I stand

These details were important to know, and here's my take on the situation.

This is all on him, it's unfortunate if he's really having personal issues that are affecting him being able to show up to work, cause I know how that is, but the people paying him aren't gonna be as understanding. Doesn't sound like he's taking the job serious enough, and that's the risk he's taking, which I'm sure he knows could lead to unemployment, which sucks, but he will learn an important lesson from it.

If he's not a close enough friend to tell you what personal stuff he has going on that's causing him to miss work for 2 weeks, then I don't see any reason that you should risk YOUR job/reputation at work to tell him he's about to get fired. And him getting fired isn't changing whether he finds out a little early from you.

if he's been out for two weeks without giving his employers any idea about what is going on with his situation, he's lucky they even waited that long. i would have canned him on day 1.

Back
Top Bottom