My fellow NT cooks!

Thinking about cooking steak today. What is a good marinade I can use? Ingredients?

Guy at work gave me this one and it comes out great w/ a new york strip steak:
soy sauce
lemon juice
minced garlic
black pepper
made it severlal times and my fam loves it

if u do a new york and its thick make sure you stab it alot on both sides w/ a fork and then just let it marinade
for a couple of hours

What kind of steak?

Try to keep it simple. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten a steak and you can taste everything except steak.
You can use powder (ie: garlic powder, onion powder) but nothing tastes as good as fresh ingredients.

If it's a thicker cut, use a little minced garlic, butter, salt, crushed black peppercorn.
OR if it's a thinner cut, try: sliced onions, minced garlic, squeeze a lime or two, salt.

If you don't have time to marinate, try some of this stuff on your steak prior to cooking (it's not spicy, but it definitely packs a punch as far as flavor goes):

Grill%20Mates%20Montreal%20Steak%20Seasoning%20Reduced%20Sodium.ashx

Also, how are you planning to cook it? Fried? Grilled? Broiled?

Definitely depends on the cut but to me, it's all about how you cook it.
Salt and pepper does it for me as long as the steak is cooked right.

Funny enough, I was watching Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations last night and he showed how to cook a steak properly.

With a good steak you won't need marinate and all that s$@^. Usually I cook ribeyes...

Heat up a skillet to a pretty good temp with some vegetable oil in there.

I usually season mine with some sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and some Essence or Lawry's... both sides of course

After you cook the steak, top it off with some butter and let it sit for about 5 minutes so the juices set in.... EAT!

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Salt & Pepper, let the steak do the talking.

Exactly! If you buy a high quality steak you wont need to add anything else. OP if you have a anything less than a NY strip use an acid to break down the muscle fibers a bit and be sure to pound it flat and then rub a good amount of salt into the meat so it will retain its juices. 
And of course BBQ it.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Funny enough, I was watching Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations last night and he showed how to cook a steak properly.
I use this method from Chow with a cast iron grill pan.  Perfection every time.

Originally Posted by raburns04

Originally Posted by RFX45

I use this method from Chow with a cast iron grill pan.  Perfection every time.

I haven't tried making steak indoors, on the pan or skillet. I always try and grill outside, even on cold winter nights. 
I might give that a try though but I hate it when I mess up cooking a steak.

This thread got me inspired and hungry, I'll try and go to Costco and get a pack of steak and give the cast iron pan a try.

^ I'd love to cook mine outdoors - cold weather grilling, ftw - but I'm in a second-floor apt and you can't have a grill on a balcony in MI.

Anthony Bourdain had an episode discussing this yesterday.

He said *from what I remember* cook it for 35 minutes, 7 minutes on different sides. Never stick a fork or anything inside the steak while it is cooking, flip with something else. After cooking it for 35 minutes, leave it out for 5-7 minutes, HIGHLY CRITICAL according to Bourdain.

although I was not able to tell you on what ingredients to use, this might help you make a great steak perhaps.
laugh.gif

^love bourdain, his show gotta be the best on t.v

quick question to u fellow cooks, whats the best hot sauce? not the type that burns ur mouth but a real good one

There are no butchers near me. Anybody ever order steaks online from like Omaha or Allen brothers? I'm thinking about going this route.

i see alot of good suggestions i like to marinade it in a teryaki sauce over ngiht and throw it on the grill

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

quick question to u fellow cooks, whats the best hot sauce? not the type that burns ur mouth but a real good one
32423.jpg

honestly, you don't need anything but sea salt and cracked peppercorn. maybe some lime juice if you feelin it.

afterward, if you seared in a pan, use the left-over steak juice and toss some mushrooms in it. use that as topping and you'll be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom