My list of tips on how NOT TO GET FRAUDED.. (read/sticky)

Let's be honest...

NIKETALK is big...REAL big. We've got over 40,000 members spanning the globe, and members of ages ranging from 12-40 (if not older). With the influx of new members, old members w/new names, and people gaining more knowledge to become "collectors", not everyone here is for the greater good...they see more people wanting to become collectors, and 3/4 of the people "starting out" are clueless, so you're basically prey to people who are out to scam you. Hopefully this will help you decide on how to complete (or not complete) future transactions.

#1--PayPal is NOT insurance

As I had a post about a month ago titled "PayPal vs. Money orders", a lot of people think PayPal is the way to go. IMO, this type of thinking leads to more people being daredevils...meaning that's it's ok to take a huge risk because you're covered. WRONG. You're only covered up to $250, and it can take up to 3 months to receive it back, of course with your fair share of homework and documents to back up your case. Realize that PayPal is basically money...and NO company is in a rush to pay YOU money w/out verification, and/or just cause that wasn't your fault. There's plenty of people who've gotten screwed by PayPal...do your homework; check www.Paypalsucks.com for other stories.

#2--QUIT BEING GULLIBLE...

Like I said, with all the new members lookin to start a collection, there's always somebody who sees your willingness to get a "rare" item and lookin to take your money. There's a saying that goes "A fool and his money are soon parted". Don't be stupid. If a price is too good to be true, it probably is. If you see a pair of DS Concord XI's for only $175, ask yourself questions before you log onto PayPal to throw your money away. Don't jump on the first deal you see. Do some homework about the seller. If it's an Ebay auction, check all the past transactions/sales he has done. If he's got negatives, read what they were about...if you see a trend (not authentic, takes too long to ship, no communication), AVOID THAT SELLER.

#3--Avoid trades/partial payments...

Personally, IMO...trades are a no-no, unless you've previously done business with that person, or they just have that outstanding of a reputation. Generally, the trades are never "fair"...one person ends up gettin shafted, or there's a big debate on who's going to ship first. The trouble arises after the pair of shoes is "never received" or the 2nd person takes forever to ship out their other half. Personally, I would avoid these altogether.

#4--Ebay gets a bad reputation...

Ebay has gotten extremely popular over the years. I started on Ebay back in 1999...you could literally type in "Nike Air Jordan _____", and less than 50 items would show up. Now, you know what it looks like. IMO, more frauding goes on here than all my years of being on Ebay, more so because I do business with the same people. If I take a chance on anyone else, their feedback is spotless and/or they came recommended by another friend. Once again, use common sense...Check feedback ratings, pictures, price, etc. If you think the seller is reputable, and you want more pics for verification, if someone is really trying to move that item, they'll send more pics. If they have tons of excuses, DON'T DO IT. If you have to think twice, don't do it. Also...most important...DO NOT WIN THE AUCTION IF YOU'RE NOT SURE IF THEY'RE FAKE. I understand you don't want anyone to win your auction, so you won't post the link...however, post the pics (minus the auction) so you can get a wide range of answers, and within reasonable time (2-3 days before the auction ends)...don't post pics within 15 minutes of an auctions' end looking for answers.

#5---Do your homework on your seller

There's TONS of NT'ers who have been banned that have signed up again...some are legit, and some aren't. Lots have created 2nd, 3rd and 4th ID's and are listing those people as "references" at the bottom of their signature. How do you know these people are different?! You don't. How do you know they're not all working together? You don't. I don't care who it is, request pics with a signature on everything....both shoes, box tag, sizing tag, insoles, etc...leave no stone unturned. If their rep is as spotless as they claim, they'll have no problem doing so.

#6---Quit protecting your friends...

Everytime there is a "I GOT FRAUDED!!" post, the person who is behind the transactions always has friends that come out of the woodwork to defend this person. Stop it. Realize that just because your deal went thru ok, this person's didn't. If they've taken 4 weeks to ship out an item, or whatever the case may be, stop defending them...there's nothing you can say to take up for that person. The only thing you should be doing to "help" is to try and contact the seller and tell them to step up, explain themselves and to do whatever they have to do to resolve the issue. Stating that "he's got school and work and 4 kids" does not put the buyer at ease. If he/she had time to sell the shoes, post an auction or whatever, they've got time to handle other business as well.

All in all, realize that every transaction is a risk...you could have someone who just started on Ebay/NT with 0 feedback be the best seller you ever dealt with...and an honest seller (Retired J's/OMWN) turn out to be the biggest fraud ever. "Caveat emptor". Use common sense. That's basically what it boils down to.

If I think if some more, I will post them as well.

Take care, good luck and quit being stupid.

You need ALL WHITE Air Force 1 lows? I got 'em..sz.7.5-15...only $88 shipped! E-mail me at: cameronnelson@ems.att.com

Good post.

A lot of people don't use their heads when dealing with strangers.

I'd sticky this but there's a bunch already up there.

This should be archived.

MoneyMo41: Thank you, sir...I appreciate it

Quote:
Good post.

A lot of people don't use their heads when dealing with strangers.

I'd sticky this but there's a bunch already up there.

This should be archived.

Thank you...

Can you please see that it is somehow stickied/archived? More people need to read this and apply it...it's gotten extremely out of hand over the last couple of years, especially as the community gets bigger and bigger.
You need ALL WHITE Air Force 1 lows? I got 'em..sz.7.5-15...only $88 shipped! E-mail me at: cameronnelson@ems.att.com

Youd' seem like an asset to me, if you were to help me out. Would you be willing to help me out till I understand whats going on. Because in your post i'm kind of like that. CLUELESS. I'd appreciate your valued skill and advise in this. Let me know if you'd like to help. thanks

Quote:
Youd' seem like an asset to me, if you were to help me out. Would you be willing to help me out till I understand whats going on. Because in your post i'm kind of like that. CLUELESS. I'd appreciate your valued skill and advise in this. Let me know if you'd like to help. thanks

Definitely...no problem at all.

Feel free to send me an e-mail to: cameronnelson@ems.att.com

Quote:
Lots have created 2nd, 3rd and 4th ID's and are listing those people as "references" at the bottom of their signature. How do you know these people are different?! You don't. How do you know they're not all working together? You don't.

If a seller has references whose email providers that are all 'free' (like Yahoo), I would think twice. It's easy to set up fake email accounts from free providers such as Yahoo. Try to get references from their work email, which is obviously harder to 'fake'.

Thank you for this post......thank you very much...

like another NTer that i've met told me......if you can meet up w/someone, its better that way....

everyone gets what they want instantly, no problems no nothing.....

however, there are obviously times when that cannot be done, in which case....do what it says above....

but IMO...

FACE TO FACE MEET > any other type of sale....

Selling Kicks in NYC Size 10-11? Get at me.
They say if you love it, you should let it out its cage and eff it, if it comes back, you know its there to stay...Jay-Z​

Stick with the face to face sales like str8hood says.If you are dealing with e-bay you are taking a chance.I have only brought through ebay twice of 3 years of "serious" collecting.Not sure if i would again.If you deal with ebay and the seller has NOTHING TO HIDE Get the seller home address phone number not a cell phone a home number and talk to another person that's lives with the seller.Tell them you are do a sale with a member in there household and if you don't get what you paid for there will be hell to pay.Or the easy and the best way Like I do with niketalkers.Just do face to face buying or selling with e-bay and niketalker sellers in your town and city.
--NYC NIKETALKERS ONLY--JORDAN O.G. 12 WHITE/RED/SIZE 9 PRICE $230.00-- E-MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO AT JORDANS160DEEP@AOL.COM NYC MEET UP ONLY

Quote:
Stick with the face to face sales like stright8hood says.If you are dealing with e-bay you are taking a chance.I have only brought through ebay twice of 3 years of "serious" collecting.If you deal with ebay and the seller has NOTHING TO HIDE Get the seller home address phone number not a cell phone a home number and talk to another person that's lives with the seller.Or the easy and the best way Like I do off niketalk.Just do face to face buying or selling with e-bay and niketalker in your town and city.

160 and Str8: That's all well and good, but what about those who DON'T live in NY or Cali?! Yeah, this board has tons of members from both Coasts, but what about a Midwesterner (Indiana) like myself? Why do I have to get screwed? Who am I supposed to do a "face to face" with?! Nobody!!

It's only good if you live in those states.

Ebay accounts for about 60%, if not more, of my collection...all the stuff boutiques get, I don't see...and god forbid anyone on NT "hooks me up"...that's a thing of the past. Everyone these days is a greedy bastard

Like I said, follow the rules I've posted, and your likelihood of getting frauded will be zero to none. It's not infallible, as everything has it's flaws...however, it's helped me out all these many years.

Excellent post Cam! And kudos to the mods for stickying. All of those points might seem like common sense to some of us who have been around a while, but there are a LOT of newer heads around who might not have been around for the likes of OMWN.

Luckily, I have never once been done dirty in any dealings on NT, but that's not to say I haven't come close. Like Cam said DO YOUR RESEARCH. It's not a bad thing to research screen names, references, etc. Checking up on screen names has saved me a few times on here.

And Cam, I'm with you on the face to face deal! Us Mid-Westerners gotta stick together! :tongue:
tongue.gif
Too bad most of the places in my area suck! WHICH IS EXACTLY WHY I HAVE TO GO TO EBAY AND NT!!!!

peace,
J

Cam -

trust me i see what you're saying.....

Quote:
however, there are obviously times when that cannot be done , in which case....do what it says above....

i was just stating my opinion, as was 160j's......but you've definitely posted some VERY good details on how to go about dealing w/ebay and others w/o getting screwed....

but IF POSSIBLE i'd always go face2face first.....

Selling Kicks in NYC Size 10-11? Get at me.
They say if you love it, you should let it out its cage and eff it, if it comes back, you know its there to stay...Jay-Z​

Many props for this priceless post. I've learned the hard way trying to collect authentic Js and I've takin many lumps on the way. But I give this post the highest recommendation on anyone new to the shoe game.
ohwell.gif

SOLE-R POWERED.

Quote:
If you think the seller is reputable, and you want more pics for verification, if someone is really trying to move that item, they'll send more pics.
Wrong. If I list 20 pairs of the same dunks and I take pics of only one pair its real annoying to take pics of another pair for someone just cause they want to see other pics, so I will almost never take more pics, seeing as I just spent a good hour or two listing all them sneakers
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZauraQ2etQ2eo

Good post. Sad that it has gotten to the point where we need one of these too.

Good post Cam. . . listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

Thanks a lot everyone...

Ian: Thanks a trillion for the Black/Red XIV's...can't thank you enough for the hook-up! :D
happy.gif

Quote:
If a price is too good to be true, it probably is. If you see a pair of DS Concord XI's for only $175, ask yourself questions before you log onto PayPal to throw your money away

EXACTLY!!!!! I'm tired of hearing all the idiots complain that they got frauded for some shoes that they KNOW they are paying less than half of what the go for.
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
-Mark Twain

You are right camron about if you are not in a big city.But myself I am not sure what I would do if I did not live in a city like nyc.I still I don't think i would trust ebay and niketalk sellers.I might not even be into sneakers the way I am if I was not in nyc.Best thing use your head when you buy off the net.
--NYC NIKETALKERS ONLY--JORDAN O.G. 12 WHITE/RED/SIZE 9 PRICE $230.00-- E-MAIL ME FOR MORE INFO AT JORDANS160DEEP@AOL.COM NYC MEET UP ONLY

Money Order is a bit risky IMO because the money is put into the hands of a mailman...if the mail is lost, the money is lost.

[/url]

Quote:
Money Order is a bit risky IMO because the money is put into the hands of a mailman...if the mail is lost, the money is lost.

That really doesn't happen as often as you think it does...

Besides, if anything...mail it Priority Mail w/delivery AND signature confirmation; the person (and ONLY the person) you address it to can sign for it; it shows that the letter/package was delivered on said date, and you get a mailed copy of the transaction as well.

Thanks again everyone! :D
happy.gif

great post cam! i also wanted to add that a better way to go is to hire a third party trader (e.g. squaretrade) to help with the transactions. why not pay a couple extra bucks to insure you both dont get screwed.

for those who are not familiar with it, Squaretrade is a company that you send both the product and money to. and when they are cleared and both arrive, then they're shipped out without getting the short end of the stick.

happy trading...screw all you lil bastards who steal shoes!

Quote:
maybe this will stop a few defrauders.

I doubt it.

We've had a buying/selling guide stickied for almost a year now, but I don't believe that I've seen any less "Fraud!!" threads.

p093.ezboard.com/fniketal...5006.topic

Thanks for doing your part to help the community Cameron.

Questions or comments regarding the board, another user, or any moderating I do should be directed to my ezInbox, found in my profile, because I rarely subscribe to threads.

Scammers and fraudsters are abound everywhere and notwithstanding Niketalk also. They go "fishing" for potential victims/newbies by creating posts such as "WHAT ARE YOUR GRAILS?", "WHAT SHOES YOU REGRETTED SLEEPING IN?". Posts like that are designed to see what you most desperately want and lo and behold, auctions with your grails appear like magic on eBay and Yahoo! Auctions. Scammers/Fraudsters prey on your emotions and love for J's.

When I posted my "DIY: Air Jordan I Blacktoe Project" webpage, within two weeks I saw three clowns listing AJ 1 Blacktoes on eBay. The pics were small and blurry. One looked like a poor custom, the red toe was showing through underneath the black. Blacktoes are rare and only two legit pairs appeared in 5 years. Then all of a sudden three showed up. It was really funny and I did have a good laugh. God help the fools who bid on them.

Useless posts like "WHAT IS THE MOST $$$ YOU'VE EVER PAID FOR JORDANS?" just want to see which NikeTalker has the most cash to burn and a potential rip-off victim. Who cares about how much someone paid for Jordans. You pay according to your budget and how much you think it's worth to you. It's none of peoples' business to know how much you paid for them J's.

Tips to avoid being a victim :

1) Spend 6 to 12 months on NikeTalk and surfing eBay to educate yourself on how to spot fakes.

2) eBay is a dangerous place. Again spend 6-12 months scanning the sellers of Air Jordans. Soon you'll be able to tell who is a legit seller and who is a scammer.

3) Air Jordans are not an investment. You don't buy them just because you hope to make a tidy profit in the future. It's for collecting and wearing. If you want to invest, then go talk to an investment/financial adviser.

EBay tips :

1) Check seller feedback and what they've sold. Check completed items. If seller's feedback was from selling a few hundred low value items eg. $0.10 gmail accounts before Air Jordans then be careful because they are building up their feedback before commencing a scam.

2) POWERSELLERS mean jack all. I've seen powersellers with 1000+ feedback selling fakes. Again check websites like www.air-jordans.com for colorways and production numbers of legit shoes.

3) Usually low prices indicate fakes. But be warn I've seen Air Jordan I Retro Black/Red priced at the market price of $250. But after getting more pics from him, I realised that it was fake!!! Again you got to get plenty of pics of shoes and learn about them.

4) These days it's difficult to tell fakes just by looking at photos. Unusual angles and blurry pics are useless. Ask seller for more pics at better angles with their ID on the photos. If seller gives excuses, then don't bid. IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT USUALLY IS.

5) Latest fakes of LeBron II and Air Jordan XX are near impossible to authenticate on eBay. The photos don't indicate minor blemishes eg. shape, glue, uneven lasering, unusual smell, light-weight and cheap materials. It's safer to buy latest shoes in shops than on eBay because of this. There are a few legit sellers on eBay, and you need to spend time to know which ones.

6) If seller is from CHINA or HONG KONG, then you better watch out. Fake Jordans are prevalent over there and chances are that your shoes will be fake. Or seller may be USA registered but shipping from CHINA or HONG KONG. Again be careful. If it doesn't sound right, chances are it isn't. (Please note that scammers also come from other countries. It's just CHINA and HONG KONG are the two main offenders.)

7) When paying for shoes, DO NOT CLICK on payment links in the seller's email. This could be a PHANTOM SITE designed to collect your personal details eg. username and password. Always type the URL of the site in your address bar to pay for item.

8 ) It's a virtual war out there. Make sure your computer is secured by firewalling and having the latest anti-virus updates. Worms and spyware are big threats. One of the greatest weakness in security is people opening email attachments left right and center. Be it EXE, SCR, PIF, SWF, PPS, DOC, WMV, etc these attachments deliver hidden payloads leaving your computer wide open to hackers. Just don't be tempted to open email attachments. I personally delete all emails with attachments. Hackers are getting more savvy all the time.

Peace :pimp:
pimp.gif

Michael Jordan, the best there ever was. The best there ever will be...

Frauds have really ruined things for us legit sellers. I have 1000 + feedback (75% sneaker sales), I take detailed photos, answer all questions, and I still get treated like a suspect seller.

Back
Top Bottom