My theory on why Nike retros aren't as comfy

These days it seems as if every nike shoe retroed isn't as comfortable as there OG. I think this is because a lot of us nters wear a lot of nikes' newer releases, such as the air max and lunar lines. Sure, the quality on retros obviously wont ever match its OG (smaller air bags for example), but i think a lot of people are used to wearing nikes current footwear which also attributes to us thinking that these retros of older sneakers aren't as good.
Thoughts?

Most of the people complaining about the comfort of retros HAD the OG's either when they first released, or a few years later through ebay, and can notice, not just by the look of the shoe, and the lack of key details but by the feel that they're paying the same or more money for a shoe that costs nike much less to make now than it did when the OG came out. Griffey 2's are a perfect example, as well as medicine ball trainer III's. I had the first retro of the griffey II's and they felt great, one of my more comfortable kicks ever, just no OG colorways at the time. Now that they drop OG's they skimp on the materials, cushioning, and sockliner so they feel brick-like and hurt the top of your foot. I had both OG and first retro medicine balls and both were very comfortable and durable. Got the last retros and I can wear them on occasion for a little while if I'm not walking too much.

I agree with panricanretro

Furthermore

-Cheaper types of polyurethane foams, or the other countless types Nike sought out that were cheaper and less comfortable
-Cheap insole foams
-Stiffer cheaper airbag types.
-Missing or refined airbag cushioning. I know some OGs that had full length airsole or a split dual bag in the heel and the forefoot, now only have it in the HEEL on the retro.

Just an overall cheaper version of it's prior itself.

The big one is the upper leathers and suedes. It's really all synthetic and a bit stiff.

All these variables lead to a undeniably WORSE off RETRO.

at the end of the day, business is business and nike is still selling no matter either of us say or if we buy it or not.

I remember when the Air Max Penny and Air Jordan XI first dropped both shoes were considered top notch in terms of performance, nowadays their obsolete.  

Maybe if Nike made the shoes here in the USA, and not some sweatshop we would get that good made in America quality... Also the customers let them get away with cheap material and uncomfortable shoes... If we stop buying then maybe they'll increase the quality?

Originally Posted by Mario1985

Maybe if Nike made the shoes here in the USA, and not some sweatshop we would get that good made in America quality... Also the customers let them get away with cheap material and uncomfortable shoes... If we stop buying then maybe they'll increase the quality?

yeah man i completely agree/wish people would do that, but a lot of my friends and people i know (just like most ya'll) are just beasts and don't care. Can't tell you how many times I've talked to people and they've been like "I don't care if it hurts my feet, It's the *insert any overhyped nike/jb retro* I gotta cop!"
indifferent.gif
 it's really become a game of "look at what i have on" instead of "man these shoes are great comfort and lookwise" really sad and i'm not even one of these "OG" heads that had everything when i was kid, since i just got into kicks around '04, but I've always tried to be a smart consumer

These cheap materials are exactly why I have stopped buying jordans... and I work at finishline so I would get them under retail.  Nike to me is not as bad, JB however cannot put out a quality retro to save there lives.  If every shoe could have the same quality as the recent QS trainer SC II's I would be happy.

These cheap materials are exactly why I have stopped buying jordans... and I work at finishline so I would get them under retail.  Nike to me is not as bad, JB however cannot put out a quality retro to save there lives.  If every shoe could have the same quality as the recent QS trainer SC II's I would be happy.

if Nike made shoes in USA they would cost $300-$500 per pair easily retail....The USA cost of labor is exponentially higher then Asian, not to mention all the benefits they would have to pay to the Unions that they dont have to currently pay....

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

if Nike made shoes in USA they would cost $300-$500 per pair easily retail....The USA cost of labor is exponentially higher then Asian, not to mention all the benefits they would have to pay to the Unions that they dont have to currently pay....
this, to some degree. NB still produces some of its shoes here which range upwards of $150, with some less than that price and some more, so its still possible to create quality product here in the states at reasonable prices. $300-$500 is a ridiculous statement though...

Nike hasn't exclusively made their shoes in the US since 1977, when they started sending production overseas. So to think the quality would be better if it was still made here is arguable. Ultimately, like what various people have already stated, it boils down to
material quality...or the lack there of.

Originally Posted by SoleAddict34

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

this, to some degree. NB still produces some of its shoes here which range upwards of $150, with some less than that price and some more, so its still possible to create quality product here in the states at reasonable prices. $300-$500 is a ridiculous statement though...

Nike hasn't exclusively made their shoes in the US since 1977, when they started sending production overseas. So to think the quality would be better if it was still made here is arguable. Ultimately, like what various people have already stated, it boils down to
material quality...or the lack there of.
USA-made NB’s, depending on the shoe, are made with domestic and foreign materials. This keeps an even balance between quality and affordability....Nike has absolutely no reason to shift production to the US because it's cheaper to produce overseas while keeping the price points low and thus retaining their high market share while staying low priced relative to it's competitors.

buy the product or not. complaining on nt isn't gonna improve the confortibility

i don't know about ya'll...but i actually find some of the newer retros a lot more comfortable than the OGs. The AM Uptempo 97's, the Penny 1's and 2's, the Foamposites, the Bakins...way more comfortable than the OG's

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

Didnt they deem "Nike Air Gas" an environmental hazard in like 2004 and start using oxyen instead ?

Info on patented "Nike Air" for those interested:

http://sneakers.pair.com/airtech.htm

The 'Nike Air Gas' you speak of is actually SF6 and it has been replaced with Nitrogen - not Oxygen.

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

Most of the people complaining about the comfort of retros HAD the OG's either when they first released, or a few years later through ebay, and can notice, not just by the look of the shoe, and the lack of key details but by the feel that they're paying the same or more money for a shoe that costs nike much less to make now than it did when the OG came out. Griffey 2's are a perfect example, as well as medicine ball trainer III's. I had the first retro of the griffey II's and they felt great, one of my more comfortable kicks ever, just no OG colorways at the time. Now that they drop OG's they skimp on the materials, cushioning, and sockliner so they feel brick-like and hurt the top of your foot. I had both OG and first retro medicine balls and both were very comfortable and durable. Got the last retros and I can wear them on occasion for a little while if I'm not walking too much.
This is the truth. Some of these OG kicks were not designed with pleather (fake leather), patent leather or Hyperfuse materials in mind. The panelling and construction doesn't accomodate for these stiffer, cheaper materials. Plus Nike/JB deliberately go out of their way to cheapen the sockliners so this further adds to the discomfort.

Originally Posted by Dimelo

buy the product or not. complaining on nt isn't gonna improve the confortibility

This is a sad truth, but if enough consumers complain most companies do something to address the negativity or deflect bad press.

Nike's "Just Doing It" to the consumer. Especially alienating & disappointing the crap out of older shoe afficionados who look at the current state of retroes & say "What is this?! Cardboard subbed in for leather?!" I exaggerate but you get my drift.

Retroes of OGs in the majority of cases = ghost of quality & comfort. But hey, Nike's got shareholders to answer to... Increase profit margin through cheaper materials, subbing out quality, the list goes on...

Maybe someday they'll release a retro of a shoe by not touching a d*** thing on it. Throw it all the way through the factory like it was made the first time instead of trying to nickel & dime & colour $%*%! the cr*p out of it.  

Stop it. Re-read your statement and think about cost of production for clothing in the US. We'll be paying $400 for sneakers.

Originally Posted by datboi81

yeah man i completely agree/wish people would do that, but a lot of my friends and people i know (just like most ya'll) are just beasts and don't care. Can't tell you how many times I've talked to people and they've been like "I don't care if it hurts my feet, It's the *insert any overhyped nike/jb retro* I gotta cop!"
indifferent.gif
 it's really become a game of "look at what i have on" instead of "man these shoes are great comfort and lookwise" really sad and i'm not even one of these "OG" heads that had everything when i was kid, since i just got into kicks around '04, but I've always tried to be a smart consumer
That's American culture no? It's also a stupid way to think, but that's the "celebrity" culture we live in. It's so sad.

Back
Top Bottom