MySpace meeting leads to death

Nimzay Aponte met Raymond Dennis on MySpace, but ultimately refused to meet him.

He responded by stabbing her in broad daylight Tuesday afternoon as she sat with a friend on a park bench in the Bronx, police said.

Aponte, who was 23, and was attending a career conference that day, died a short time after the Tuesday afternoon attack - but not before she gave police adying declaration: "Mike did it."

"Mike," it turned out, was the name by which she knew Dennis on MySpace, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly saidThursday.

Detectives, armed only with that name, interviewed her friends, including William Sherief, 25, who suffered a minor stab wound in the attack, and checkedcomputer records, police sources said.

Dennis, 35, an ex-convict who has served time for drugs and assault, was arrested Wednesday night and charged with murdering Aponte.

The stabbing highlights a growing phenomenon - major crimes connected to online social networks.

Since March, there have been three killings in which the victim met the suspect online, police said.

Just last month, Philip Markoff, a medical student better known as the alleged " CraigslistKiller," was charged with shooting to death Manhattan masseuse Julissa Brisman in a Boston hotel after they met online.

"This is a phenomenon that is with us," Kelly said. "This is the world in which we live.

"People have to take reasonable precautions."

Aponte, police said, was attacked in Mott Haven's St. Mary's Park - a large blood splotch was still evident there Thursday - while she was taking a break from anearby job fair she had been attending.

Kelly said she had met the suspect on MySpace but that he "was apparently angry that she expressed no interest in seeing him after the initial Internetconnection."

Still, it appears Dennis had seen pictures of Aponte. And Kelly said the suspect knew Aponte was going to be at the career conference and was able to find her.

Aponte's former superintendent remembers her as a feisty woman with a "nice smile."

Before this arrest, the suspect was living at Freedom Residence, which houses residents undergoing rehabilitation for drug or alcohol abuse.

http://www.newsday.com/te...863may14,0,5790108.story

Crazy
eek.gif

common sense we are dealing with adults, its like telling your kids not to accept candy from a stranger.........

R.I.P.
her myspace got deleted
no offence but she was a target..
I mean with a nickname like
sexygirlhotlatina*pr
and a url like borilicious_69
thats a usual target for people like that

Originally Posted by dopestop

R.I.P.
her myspace got deleted
no offence but she was a target..
I mean with a nickname like
sexygirlhotlatina*pr
and a url like borilicious_69
thats a usual target for people like that

People gotta be careful how they put themselves out there and what info they put out there. Even though she denied a meet, dude was still able to find her.

so what? thers millions of people there with no screening... I wonder how many people been whacked frm myspace that we aint heard about........

Originally Posted by devildog1776

so what? thers millions of people there with no screening... I wonder how many people been whacked frm myspace that we aint heard about........
i don't understand why people say this...like just because it happens to other people we shouldn't care...

Honestly a lot of woman are straight DUMB when it comes to the internet, putting themselves out there adding any and everyone, just stupid. I'm sure thiswill not be the last time we hear of something like this.

Back
Top Bottom