Name the classic albums these rappers have?

Pimp A Butterfly is important in this time cuz of what we have seen in the news the last 3-4 years but I won't say it's the most important ever. I didn't even know how you determine that.

Sorry I couldn't let this one pass (and I like what you have had to say in the New York thread). How on earth is it the most important hip-hop album ever? There have been many records with the same subject matter before, in fact it was even fashionable in the late '80s and early '90s. And again we have had jazz influences on rap before, something like The Low End Theory being a prime example. To Pimp A Butterfly hasn't even had short-lasting influence otherwise we would be seeing a wave of clones already.
What time is more important than now?
1988?
94?
01?

It's 6 1/2 months old. But even with that being said, The influence is there. ASAP was influenced by it. Kanye went back to the drawing board. I'm sure anyone that takes their craft serious was watchin and they're makin sure they deliver QUALITY.
The same way X first album made Kendrick wanna rap, TPAB is gonna have that effect on some kid that's 14 now.

They're chanting "We goin be alright" at protests. I mean what time is more important than now? What album is as relevant to now? You'd have to go back to West coast hip-hop in the year before Rodney King and the year after. There's albums from 3 years ago that don't embody what's goin on TODAY.

You would think they were going to build a monument/statue of Kendrick Lamar the way folks talk about this guy. Acting like TPAB is better than MLK's I Have A Dream speech or equivalent.

TPAB isn't even better than GKMC though...
Doesn't mean it's MORE important.

"Straight Outta Compton" to me isn't better than ******4Life but one is MORE important than the other.

Reasonable Doubt is better than Blueprint, but BP was more important to hip-hop. The majority of RD notoriety came after the fact. As someone pointed out the 3rd verse on "Hard Knock Life" where he speaks on it himself.

And
TPAB > I Have A Dream Speech.

Kendrick had a DREEEEAAAAAMMMMMM.

I Have A Dream Speech is held in such a high regard, because it's when white people or what would now be popular culture embraced his idea, as with Kendrick that isn't MLK's best work. Maybe his most important, but his best would be Riverside Church or his final one before his death.

Last edited:
It's honestly listening preference. As a cohesive unit I think TPAB is better. The beats on GKMC though 
pimp.gif
 and I mess with TPAB heavy. 

laugh.gif
 at K. Dot having 0 classics though. Section 80 is honorable mention as well. 

It's honestly listening preference. As a cohesive unit I think TPAB is better. The beats on GKMC though :pimp:  and I mess with TPAB heavy. 

:lol:  at K. Dot having 0 classics though. Section 80 is honorable mention as well. 

That's the thing, GKMC's beats feel leagues ahead of TPAB, so when people call TPAB a classic, I have to ask well what is GKMC :lol:? That came out 3 years ago and I can still play more than half that album on a regular basis. Can't say the same for TPAB.

The sounds are just different, the production on both albums are top notch, but I grew up on that go funk, jazzy, OutKast type sound so maybe that's why I mess with it like I do. GKMC had more hard bass tracks, but the instrumentation and features he had on TPAB were second to none. I wouldn't say the beats are bad or leagues behind GKMC at all it's just an entirely different sound from what he did on Section 80 and GKMC, the lyrics and storytelling are all there in a polished masterpiece.

I preferred YG's MKL to GKMC shrugs.

TPAB is a good album, but it's not a classic to me. Def grew on me though. Love them groovy sounds :pimp:

My Krazy Life is a personal classic. He's a terrible rapper but I don't skip a song on that album. It flows perfectly, album is like watching a movie. I was stunned how good that album was.

Nasir Jones - Illmatic, it was written, Untitled (debatable)

Sean Carter - Reasonable Doubt & American Gangster

Marshall Mathers - The Slim Shady LP

Kendrick Lamar (What's his government?) - OD, Sec 80, Good Kid, To Pimp a Butterfly

Lil Wayne - Dedication 2, Drought 3, Carter 2 (debatable)

My Krazy Life is a CLASSIC period.

You don't have to be a good rapper to make a CLASSIC.

The majority of extremely talented MCs underachieved as far as making GREAT albums.

My Krazy Life is a CLASSIC period.

You don't have to be a good rapper to make a CLASSIC.

The majority of extremely talented MCs underachieved as far as making GREAT albums.

You a real one.

Just gotta convert y'all to the Future Hive. Ds2 ain't a classic, but it's AOTY low key. :pimp:

Nas- Illmatic, It was written, Stillmatic 

JJ Evans- In my life time vol. 2

Eminem- Marshall Mathers LP 

Kendrick Lamar- NONE 

Lil Wayne- Inching toward Carter 1 but honestly NONE 

Kanye West- Graduation, MBDTF

This dude kanye basically got 4 classics :lol: cuz everyone saying different albums

Last edited:
This dude kanye basically got 4 classics :lol: cuz everyone saying different albums

I honestly was going to put "his first 5 albums" but it's all subjective. With his albums they all came out in a different time in my life and listening to them takes me to a special place, especially Graduation. I based it more so off of, if someone had never heard of Kanye West, which album(s) would give the best representation of him. Same with the other artist. In terms of K. Dot and Wayne neither of them have albums that changed the landscape of hip hop IMO. I mean Wayne maybe with Carter 3 but those sales were fueled by numerous mixtapes and the myth that the album may never see the light of day. Personally I play Carter 1 in my car to this day (no religion but the cops swear that I'm a drug lord!) and I'm not ready to call that nor Carter 2, 500 degrees, rebirth or anything from Wayne a classic. Kendrick is just the flavor of the month.

In terms of K. Dot and Wayne neither of them have albums that changed the landscape of hip hop IMO. I mean Wayne maybe with Carter 3 but those sales were fueled by numerous mixtapes and the myth that the album may never see the light of day. Personally I play Carter 1 in my car to this day (no religion but the cops swear that I'm a drug lord!) and I'm not ready to call that nor Carter 2, 500 degrees, rebirth or anything from Wayne a classic. Kendrick is just the flavor of the month.

Classics don't have to "change the game". They just have to be good timeless music. If you play the Carter 1 in your whip today...and bump it all the way thru...it's a classic to you.

In the general hip hop land scape..it's definitely a classic album. It's overlooked b/c it was ahead of Wayne's time. It went platinum...but it was a slow burner, and a lot of people weren't up on Wayne like that. Carter 2 was slightly below the Carter 1 for me, but Wayne became more popular the time it dropped, so that's why more people inch towards that being his classic.

Lyrically, Wayne was at his peak during C1. BMJR is one of the closes tracks of the 2000's, and the Carter 1 ranks in the top 5 albums of that decade.

Now if we want to talk about somebody that had a classic that changed the landscape in hip hop...DMX dropped 2 of them in a calendar year..

Doesn't mean it's MORE important.

"Straight Outta Compton" to me isn't better than ******4Life but one is MORE important than the other.

Reasonable Doubt is better than Blueprint, but BP was more important to hip-hop. The majority of RD notoriety came after the fact. As someone pointed out the 3rd verse on "Hard Knock Life" where he speaks on it himself.

And
TPAB > I Have A Dream Speech.

Kendrick had a DREEEEAAAAAMMMMMM.

I Have A Dream Speech is held in such a high regard, because it's when white people or what would now be popular culture embraced his idea, as with Kendrick that isn't MLK's best work. Maybe his most important, but his best would be Riverside Church or his final one before his death.
Honest question here. Does the fact Kendrick gets such universal acclaim from "mainstream" (read into that word what you like) audiences and critics not take something away from his work to you? Often these people are totally dismissive of hip-hop yet they love him (or at least pretend to). Would this not indicate that his music is actually quite safe and unthreatening in a way that the best of his genre has never been?

so the only 3 three classics in my life would be kush and orange juice , cabin fever , and fabo's there is no competition one..........only skippable tracks on one of each of wiz's tapes - the demi lovato one in the beginning of kush and oj ( i dont like the song but its still nostalgic and "part" of the cohesiveness of the tape now for me) and wtf is "middle of you" on cabin fever :stoneface:  ......fabos tinc 1 though , perfection , punch after punch 

only classic album , not one skippable song is kiss land to me if i follow your terms lol 

Kiss Land? Wasn't even better than any of his first three mixtapes.

Anyways:

Nas- Illmatic, It Was Written, Lost Tapes
Jay- Blueprint, Black Album, Reasonable Doubt
Eminem- MMLP, Eminem Show
Kendrick- GKMC, To Pimp a Butterfly (Masterpiece)
Kanye- Late Registration, MBDTF
Wayne- maybe C2

Honest question here. Does the fact Kendrick gets such universal acclaim from "mainstream" (read into that word what you like) audiences and critics not take something away from his work to you? Often these people are totally dismissive of hip-hop yet they love him (or at least pretend to). Would this not indicate that his music is actually quite safe and unthreatening in a way that the best of his genre has never been?
Kanye is also critically acclaimed.
The 'Chronic' was one of the first critically acclaimed gangsta rap albums, that doesn't make it any worse.

It just shows that GREAT music transcends genres. It's all art at the end of the day, and if it's appreciated by evaluators of art it's good. And critical acclaim is importantant as well. The majority of the CLASSIC albums in hip-hop have had critical acclaim from its evaluators, depending on the level it could simply be The Source or now Pitchfork. For example Pitchfork was big on Camron's 'Purple Haze', it has aged quite well. Critics outside of hip-hop weren't necessarily big on GRODT, and it has aged terribly.

In the case of Kendrick, I've been following him since 2010ish, but closely since Section.80. I was in prison when GKMC dropped, the first review I read was in 'The New Yorker' of all places, and just the way it was described by them let me know it was something special, the 2nd I read was in 'Rolling Stone' in the spring of 2013. I didn't hear the album until November of 2013, I was still in prison but my man had it. Just the buzz he had in the penal system was something special.

I could only imagine what TPAB is doing for my Gs behind the wall. I'd bet everything I LOVE that it's changing lives, the same way I've seen it change people on the outside.

Lastly critics loved NWA, Public Enemy, Wu Tang, Illmatic, Ready To Die I don't think those were "safe" by any means and doesn't take away from the greatness. The interesting thing about Drake is he doesn't receive close to the amount of acclaim as Kendrick but he's more popular with consumers (solely based on sales).

Back
Top Bottom