nas and the "n" word :: next album entitled

...welp. here we go...

Quote:
NEW YORK There is no divide at Def Jam: They are fully onboard with Nas. At the Manhattan premiere of "American Gangster" at the Apollo Theatre on Friday night (October 19), Island Def Jam Music Group Chairman Antonio "L.A." Reid balked at reports that his company isn't supporting Nas' decision to title his December 11 album @#%$.

"Really, who'd you hear that from?" Reid said, acting as if he were surprised. Earlier this week, Fox News reported that someone from his office said the company did not want to release an album with such an explicit name.

Reid said that is not the case.

"We support everything our artists do, everything!" he added. "We stand firmly behind and beside our artists with pride and with pleasure. Anything Nas wants to do, I completely stand beside him. Nas is prolific, he's prophetic, he's a genius, an amazing artist of respect. So, while I'm not sure exactly all that [the title] entails, I know it's smart, so I stand behind him. That's real."

More after the jump...

Common, who is in "American Gangster," was also vocal about his support for Nas Friday night.

"I love Nas," he said with a grin. "Nas is always bringing something new, bringing something for us to think about. He's one of the best ever. If it wasn't for Nas, a lot of cats, including myself, wouldn't be rhyming the way they do. So I mean, I know [the title] is something behind what he's doing, he's making statements. That's something we need in hip-hop. Last Poets did it, Gil Scott-Heron did it, Marvin Gaye did it. We gotta keep making statements."

And while many in the hip-hop community are showing their faith for God's Son, despite not hearing his full explanation for why he gave his opus the controversial title, civil-rights activist the Rev. Al Sharpton has condemned his choice of LP moniker.

"Again, I'm opposed to anybody using the term," Sharpton, who has called for total abolishment of word, said on the red carpet. "We're in an age where they are hanging nooses, they're locking our kids up in Jena and Florida. We do not need to be degrading ourselves. We get degraded enough. I think we need artists to lift us up, not lock us down."

Nas told MTV News on Thursday that he wanted to take the power out of the N-word.

"I wanna make the word easy on mutha----as' ears," he explained. "You see how white boys ain't mad at 'cracker' 'cause it don't have the same [sting] as '@#%$'? I want '@#%$' to have less meaning [than] 'cracker.'"

"It has all the sting in the world when people are writing it on boards," Sharpton answered when told of Nas' quote. "What they're doing is, as we're fighting to make [using the N-word word] a hate crime, they're making it not a hate crime, which is helping out the racists. You don't see [people from] any other race trying to take the power out of names being called to them. People [who use the term in their music] wouldn't put out a record against whites or cops or Jews because they ain't got the guts to do that. They only got the guts to beat up on their own."

Method Man, meanwhile, opined that there's too much over-analysis going on.

"Nas knows what he's doing. He's a smart brother. He keeps his name in the game," Tical offered. "Last year, when he put out Hip Hop Is Dead, I was being interviewed, everybody was asking me what I thought about his album. ... I think it's too much emphasis on just the word. I know a word worse than '@#%$': Darfur. Real talk. I'd like to see Reverend Al take a walk out there. Let's stop focusing on the wrong sh--."

I'm not going to get into too much analysis on this one... I think the dude could have chosen another title...

Period.

Please, my African American brothers, please can one of you assasinate Al Sharpton? I ehard about this over weekend on Shade 45. Now is it actually going to be entitled, "N***a" or will it be, "The N Word".
DestinationKicks: real great idea tommie, real great stereotee : you never f'n know these days stereotee : remember the alamo
"There is a fanbase that wants to hear good music, but there is a media that promotes foolishness." -Rhymefest

Pimp in the mutha @#%$ pulpit.... :smh:
smh.gif
If you ain't watchin Kickin' it in the city...You should be ASHAMED of yourself!!!
TEAM
B A L T I M O R E
WEST B-MORE
CHAPTER

I don't have a problem with it. Unfortunetly rap CDs are already full of the word, what didfference does it make that it is now the title of a CD.

Also, we have already had a group with the word in their name.

And I have to give it to Nas, he keeps people talking with the titles of his CDs.

from illmatic to N***A...

I love it ! ! !

this is why he is in my top 5.
"try not to judge a man by the price of his kicks"

from illmatic to N***A...

I love it ! ! !

this is why he is in my top 5.

i personally use the word as much as possible.

born black, gonna be black, gonna die black

for me its all in how a person uses the term, determines if it's malicious or not.

thats my 2 cent.

sorry for the double post..not sure how i did that..i apologize

SNEAKERS FOR SALE ! ! ! !
"try not to judge a man by the price of his kicks"

another reason for me not to like nas....

Quote:
I know a word worse than '': Darfur. Real talk. I'd like to see Reverend Al take a walk out there. Let's stop focusing on the wrong sh--."
:wow:
eek.gif

Team DC/MD/VA
Yall was takin too long, so we had to do it...
young black and dashing like Sydney in his prime in a black film classic

you got ds size 13 foot patrol air stabs? get at me​

Man.. I wonder if he named the Album @#%$, would it have been the same outcry.?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

I think its funny how we incorporate n @#%$ ga in our everyday convos but as soon as he titles his album after it, theres a problem.

Keep it 100 all the way around...dont use the word and then criticize someone else just because they gave it exposure by using it as a title...and thats probably part of the maketing scheme as well...people are going to want to know what "N word" is about...white people too.

Plies was saying something along these lines when he was talking about his song "100 years".

The song goes "P @#%$ sy @ @#%$ s cr @#%$ ka give a n @#%$ ga 100 years, have ya family leavin out the courtroom in tears"

And he got bad feedback for using "cr @#%$ ker"...and its like he used "ni @#%$ a" the same amount of times in the song but thats perfectly fine...double standards are too prominent in our culture...if yall dont like the word really STOP USING IT

The Real.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with it. Unfortunetly rap CDs are already full of the word, what didfference does it make that it is now the title of a CD.
|I
tired.gif
*Middle America sitting back saying, " see they call themselves @#%$ all the time.... its the IN thing with them...."*

Quote:
I think it's too much emphasis on just the word. I know a word worse than '': Darfur. Real talk. I'd like to see Reverend Al take a walk out there. Let's stop focusing on the wrong sh--."

Not just Al TICAL.... you could take a walk with him......

Rudo... you know these kids don't no anything about that. Easy E could walk past one of these dudes tomorrow and they wouldl say, "You're the dude on Game's arm!"

I hate how Al Sharpton thinks he can be the spokesman for al black people. Thats all i'll say! Listen to the KIRK OUT HOUR for more!
Another one bites the dust!

Back
Top Bottom