Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives - April 20, 2010

FINALLY got to listening to the album and i've played it about 5 straight times
and all the classic talk is necessary, not one skippable track..
got to meet Nas and Damian and i'm not complaing i had to support
Spoiler [+]
1247y89.jpg

Just curious but where were you when he signed your vinyl and cd? I was at Rasputin's in Berkeley and Nas refused to sign my illmatic vinyl, but only the Distant Relatives cd.

Originally Posted by uknowdonti

Just curious but where were you when he signed your vinyl and cd? I was at Rasputin's in Berkeley and Nas refused to sign my illmatic vinyl, but only the Distant Relatives cd.
Are you serious? I wanted to go too but I didn't. I wanted him to sign my Illmatic CD and meet him.

Originally Posted by presumed

Oaklandddddddddddddddddddddddddd
eek.gif
pimp.gif
sick.gif
If you were there U understand... energy was craaaaaaaaaaazy... the encore and gods son
alien.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
Yesssirrr.....crackin last night.  Nas isnt the best live performer, but the show was certainly 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Crowd was live.  Clouds were in the air.  Real good show.

Favorite performed song of the night.....Made You Look.  
pimp.gif

I got their autographs as well in Berkley. Nas was being really picky about what he was signing (bunch of dudes wanted their Illmatic record/CD signed and he wouldn't do it) and hardly showed any love at all from the people around me. I am not dissing dude but he was either down in the dumps or just didn't care. I went up to him and just what up and that I was a big fan since I was a kid and the guy didn't even look at me and security just shoved me over to Damian and that dude is a lack for words as well.

One guy in front of me was straight ballin' when he met Nas though. If I was Nas, that would have been the ultimate appreciation from a fan that dude actually has that impact. I kind of wish I went to the show but I seen Nas twice already.

The song Patience
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Everytime I listen to this I get stuck rewinding Nas' last verse.

Who wrote the Bible? Who wrote the Qur'an?
And was it a lightning storm
That gave birth to the earth
And then dinosaurs were born? damn
Who made up words? who made up numbers?
And what kind of spell is mankind under?
Everything on the planet we preserve and can it
Microwaved it and try it
No matter what we'll survive it
What's hu? what's man? what's human?
Anything along the land we consuming
Eatin', deletin', ruin
Trying to get paper
Gotta have land, gotta have acres
So I can sit back like Jack Nicholson
Watch n&*% play the game like the lakers
In a world full of 52 fakers
Gypsies, seances, mystical prayers
You superstitious? throw salt over your shoulders
Make a wish for the day cuz
Like somebody got a doll of me
Stickin' needles in my arteries
But I can't feel it
Sometimes it's like 'pardon me, but I got a real big spirit'
I'm fearless.... I'm fearless
Don't you try and grab hold of my soul
It's like a military soldier since seven years old
I held real dead bodies in my arms
Felt their body turn cold, oh
Why we born in the first place
If this is how we gotta go?
Damn.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I got their autographs as well in Berkley. Nas was being really picky about what he was signing (bunch of dudes wanted their Illmatic record/CD signed and he wouldn't do it) and hardly showed any love at all from the people around me. I am not dissing dude but he was either down in the dumps or just didn't care. I went up to him and just what up and that I was a big fan since I was a kid and the guy didn't even look at me and security just shoved me over to Damian and that dude is a lack for words as well.

One guy in front of me was straight ballin' when he met Nas though. If I was Nas, that would have been the ultimate appreciation from a fan that dude actually has that impact. I kind of wish I went to the show but I seen Nas twice already.

See that's foul, if I was there I would have cursed him out. He's been one of my favorite rappers since I was like 11 and I've bought EVERY NAS album. Even "From Illmatic to Stillmatic (The Remixes)" and his "Greatest Hits". I would have bugged out

I mean, I could kinda understand him not signing other albums of his... The signings are to promote Distant Relatives. & from the amount of autograph signings I've been to, a lot of them only allow 1 item per person...

As cool as it would be to get Illmatic signed, I could see why he refused.

Originally Posted by cguy610

The song Patience
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Microwaved it and try it
Eatin', deletin', ruin
Trying to get paper
But I can't feel it
Damn.

pimp.gif

That's my favorite song as well, but you really thought Nas went harder than Damian there? Felt the complete opposite. Damian's first verse is insanely well constructed and poignant.

This is how the media pillages
On the TV the picture is
Savages in villages
And the scientist still can't explain the pyramids, huh
Evangelists making a living on the videos of ribs of the little kids
Stereotyping the image of the images
And this is what the image is
You buy a khaki pants
And all of a sudden you say a Indiana Jones
An' a thief out gold and thief out the scrolls and even the buried bones
Some of the worst paparazzis I've ever seen and I ever known
Put the worst on display so the world can see
And that's all they will ever show
So the ones in the west
Will never move east
And feel like they could be at home
Dem get tricked by the beast
But a where dem ago flee when the monster is fully grown?

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by cguy610

The song Patience
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Microwaved it and try it
Eatin', deletin', ruin
Trying to get paper
But I can't feel it
Damn.

pimp.gif
That's my favorite song as well, but you really thought Nas went harder than Damian there? Felt the complete opposite. Damian's first verse is insanely well constructed and poignant.

This is how the media pillages
On the TV the picture is
Savages in villages
And the scientist still can't explain the pyramids, huh
Evangelists making a living on the videos of ribs of the little kids
Stereotyping the image of the images
And this is what the image is
You buy a khaki pants
And all of a sudden you say a Indiana Jones
An' a thief out gold and thief out the scrolls and even the buried bones
Some of the worst paparazzis I've ever seen and I ever known
Put the worst on display so the world can see
And that's all they will ever show
So the ones in the west
Will never move east
And feel like they could be at home
Dem get tricked by the beast
But a where dem ago flee when the monster is fully grown?

I like the whole song, I just can't tell half of what Damian is saying on his verses. 

Album isn't what i was expecting musically but i'm loving it all the same. Tribal war and patience getting the most spins at the moment
pimp.gif

Can't wait to hear this %+*# live in July
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by uknowdonti

took the vinyl with me in my backpack to the signing in west LA (best buy) shook nas' hand and asked if he could sign it.. dude said "sure why not" and thanked me for his support

I met him when Untitled dropped, and he signed my album and he was really cool when I spoke to him. I've heard people talk about him being a jerk, and have seen him treat people the same way for myself. He's one of my favorite rappers, but it doesn't look like he's much of a people person.
Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

I mean, I could kinda understand him not signing other albums of his... The signings are to promote Distant Relatives. & from the amount of autograph signings I've been to, a lot of them only allow 1 item per person...

Yep, it's not hard to understand why artists wouldn't want to sign extra items. The signing I had gone to was limited to 500 people when I met him. Imagine if half those people brought an extra item for him to sign, he would have had a lot more work to do. This one idiot who was there was persistent about trying to get Nas to sign his IWW booklet, even after seeing others get denied by security in their attempts. The people responsible for signings are aware that people don't know their limits, so once they give people leeway to bring another album, some will start to bring in all sorts of other memorabilia.

Originally Posted by Roc Boy Jada

I met him when Untitled dropped, and he signed my album and he was really cool when I spoke to him. I've heard people talk about him being a jerk, and have seen him treat people the same way for myself. He's one of my favorite rappers, but it doesn't look like he's much of a people person.
Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Yep, it's not hard to understand why artists wouldn't want to sign extra items. The signing I had gone to was limited to 500 people when I met him. Imagine if half those people brought an extra item for him to sign, he would have had a lot more work to do. This one idiot who was there was persistent about trying to get Nas to sign his IWW booklet, even after seeing others get denied by security in their attempts. The people responsible for signings are aware that people don't know their limits, so once they give people leeway to bring another album, some will start to bring in all sorts of other memorabilia.

I think also maybe they just wanted everything to be about the current project since its so unique. I mean that would be disrespectful to Jr Gong since its obvious Nas is the more popular of the 3. Besides isnt the proceeds for the album going to build a new school or something. Other Nas projects dont belong IMO

Back
Top Bottom