"NBA back in Seattle? Handful of players are pushing for it"

Since Seattle lost its NBA team in 2008, a handful of players are determined to bring pro basketball back to the Emerald City. A charity game, spearheaded by Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen and embraced by a litany of other players with ties to Seattle and the now-defunct SuperSonics, is in the works for this summer.

"I thought it was appropriate to do something for the city, to thank the fans for more than 40 years of support, and to show the NBA that Seattle is still a viable market for the NBA," Allen said.

Allen and former Sonics forward Detlef Schrempf have reached out to a number of players with ties to the Sonics and Seattle to enlist their help in putting on a competitive and entertaining game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_hughes/03/29/sonics.notes/index.html

Really hopin this goes down. I went to a Gary Payton charity game about 7-8 yrs ago which was nice. Hope they can get an event like this scheduled every year. If only Howard schultz could have sold the Sonics to Steve Ballmer... can't dwell on things though.

eek.gif
 I'm there!

Not happening, by the way. NBA was never going to allow it. They needed a down payment from the league, which means Stern had to approve it. They're better off doing a non-charity event and making it non-official. The NBA players can do what they want, just like the high school alum games they do. If they did something in a large space (they could still do Key Arena) and just front the money to rent the space, then it could happen. It'd just be a showcase.

Won't happen. Seattle doesn't have enough NBA fans to fill an arena.  We already have the Mariners, Seahawks and now Sounders. 
SORRY!

Yeah, because the mariners and Seahags are really tearin' it up these days. Seattle is a fair weather "fan" city. whoever is the flavor of the month gets all the fans.

KeyArena in the mid '90s >>>> Qwest, Safeco, etc. ever

Hope this happens. I went to a Mariners game with my vintage Sonics scarf and dude walked up to me and asked if I was a manchester united fan.
indifferent.gif

I've heard they couldn't get the money needed to make it happen... like $150K upfront payment to the NBA.

Other than that, the NBA was supportive of this as they would be of any other charity organization featuring its athletes. Stern doesn't hate Seattle fans and would love to take our money and generate interest in his product. Its the local and state politicos he hates.

Great idea by Ray. Too bad it didn't pan out...

Back
Top Bottom