nba cares

am i the only one who finds this campaign a joke? i understand its all about pr and the image of the nba but it seems very insincere and the things they are doing for the most part are dumb....chris paul spending a few hours hammering nails is not helping the community that much....if anything he is probably slowing the whole process down....if the nba really cared they would not need to run these ads 6 times during every game....charity should be something you want to do with no personal gain....now i am sure there has been some good from some of these events but i seriously do not need to hear about it from the nba....i do not see the nba in a more positive light from any of this...if anything it all feels tainted...and i am by no means saying i know all the charity work they do because i am sure there is a lot more than what they show....but they are in a position to help a lot of people and should not waste the time and money into making commercials so people will not view nba players as spoiled rich gun toting goons who fight with fans**waits for tell em y u mad son responses

No "tell em y u mad son" response, but I am gonna hit you with a big, fat stoneface.

olmec-stone-head.jpg

what would i be salty about? i just think if you are going to do charitable work your purpose should not be to make yourself look good in the public eye...its just so phony

The reason you see the commercials so often is to raise awareness about the organization and what they do.  Yes, charity should involve self-sacrifice, but the importance is to draw attention to the program.

Does Chris Paul hammering nails truly make the difference in his community?  Probably not.  But at least he's taking time out of his day to do something, even if it's minor.  Athletes meeting sick kids, mentally challenged fans, providing school supplies for low income children, all of those things are positives and are just a small piece of what the program is meant to accomplish.  Kobe Bryant taking one day out of his summer to help out a local park is probably a hell of a lot more than you and a lot of NBA fans do with their free time.

The commercials are meant to bring attention and awareness to the charities.  Maybe if they run them enough, people will actually do something, go to the website, and see how they can help out with their community.  I'd rather see a dozen NBA cares commercials than another dumb 5 buck box commercial with Barkley, or Dwight Howard mytouch commercial.

I understand what your sayin OP. With the type of money the NBA makes they could be doing a lot more to help out communities. I can't say the players are faking but the NBA may be. A lot players have charities and do positive things in their community. It's just that we rarely hear about them. A lot of players aren't just helping to improve their image. Some are helping because they really care. Now the NBA may be just trying to make themselves look good, but there are a lot of players that care. A lot of them have come from broken homes or bad communities. These are the ones who want to help prevent another child from going through the same thing.

^get outta here fam.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

The NBA and it's athletes donate probably more than any other sport in Professional sports.
If its a joke to you go ahead and laugh.

If you want to know about less "known" charitable players and events, look up Dikembe Mutumbo and what he has done with Congo and other Sub-Saharan African Nations.
Why does it matter that they are raising awareness to donate, or participate in community service?

If your saying "ohh they can give more than they already do because they have money" then you should take a look in the mirror first.
Why cant you do the same with lesser funds?
All the celebrities, athletes, doctors, CEOs make bank, even if a small percentage of them give back to charity and the community, atleast we SEE IT.
There are countless Rich people in the country, who don't give back at all...and for the few that are truly humble...why complain when they give back?

Op's right.
It's like these commercials are meant to cover up malice in the palace.

It's over the top.
I think the horrible sappy dialogue and bad commercial direction is a problem too.  holier than thou.

It sorta defeats the purpose of doing a nice thing when u go out, and make a commercial of every single nice thing you did.

But I'm sure there isn't really an alterior motive.  What they are doing is great, and giving back is what will make the world a better place.
So 'meh'
but i see ur point op

First reply would be what are you doing to contribute to your community while complaining about the contributions of others?

None of you seem to be complaining when every minor infraction of athletes is headline news and they're made out to be the most villainous characters in the world. ##%*, they're still opening news shows with Tiger Wood's infidelity, as if over 61% of marriages don't fail in America anyways for that same reason. Channels that don't even talk about sports, somehow find time to do so when an athlete gets a dui, or gets caught with weed or something. To me, they're just trying to show the other much less publicized side, not to mention to try to encourage you to get out and do something for your community.

And furthermore, if you're a family who had a house donated to you by the NBA Cares and Habitat for Humanity, are you really going to cherish it any less because you feel they only did it for PR? Tell the kids from Make A Wish that guys are only doing it for their image and see what they say to you. Do you think kids care? It's a catch 22 trying to publicize doing something positive because people will accuse you of being insincere, yet if you don't nobody will know about it and call you a bad guy.

Tell these kids your angry little rant

Nugs_09SOlympics_302_400.jpg

d018a99bdbb7e01ed520b9f53f2ddbe0-getty-95497201ge011_nuggets.jpg

blah blah blah....its dumb and you know it.....it shouldnt matter who knows about the good you do.....the nba has the image it does for a reason.....now i think all the bad press athletes get is unwarranted sometimes....but once again if they are really sincere about helping people then they shouldnt feel the need to publicize it 6 or 7 times during every game....they dont even ask for your help or anything in the commercials....its not awareness....look at this commercial and tell me how this is anything but pr for the nba and the lakers

and the nba building houses for katrina victims is awesome....but dont act like chris paul was really building that house...there are probably 30 people out there all doing double the work chris paul does and i dont see there names mentioned...and he was probably only there for a few hours....and most of the commercials are stupid things....derrick fisher reading a book to kids is not important....my highschool basketball team used to do that...at least the nfl play 60 campaign is for a purpose....they are trying to help child obesity....they encourage people in the community to get involved...if the nba cares was asking for your help and promoting their website so people can help get involved then it might be different.....they dont even say the name of their website in the commercials at all.....all they are doing is saying hey look at us we are good guys....and thats why i cant respect the way they are going about it

I kinda see the OP's point to an extent. Before I get started...I will say that since the brawl in Det, there has been a push by the NBA to clean-up their image. Whether it's implementing a dress code or having commercials that focus on the players doing community service...the NBA is doing all it that it can to portray some of it's athletes in a better light.

On the other hand, there is WAY more that goes on (as far as giving back to the communities) that you don't see. I would never EVER say that the "NBA Cares" campaign is a "joke," because it's not. Whoever receives the house that Dwight Howard helped build is way more excited about having a roof over their heads than being caught up in the celebrity giving back.

Just look at the pics that DatZNasty posted....while you may think the NBA's intentions are dumb or stupid, something like a meet/greet w. Chauncey Billups means more than you could ever imagine to some of these kids.

Originally Posted by dtb00201

and the nba building houses for katrina victims is awesome....but dont act like chris paul was really building that house...there are probably 30 people out there all doing double the work chris paul does and i dont see there names mentioned...and he was probably only there for a few hours....and most of the commercials are stupid things....derrick fisher reading a book to kids is not important....my highschool basketball team used to do that...at least the nfl play 60 campaign is for a purpose....they are trying to help child obesity....they encourage people in the community to get involved...if the nba cares was asking for your help and promoting their website so people can help get involved then it might be different.....they dont even say the name of their website in the commercials at all.....all they are doing is saying hey look at us we are good guys....and thats why i cant respect the way they are going about it
Chris Paul was handing out 1000+ turkeys to people who lost their homes in the hurricane and helped to rebuild the city.  You are sounding real ignorant. 

Of course there are people with way less celebrity than Chris Paul who are probably doing 15x the amount of charity work than him that go unnoticed.  However, having Chris Paul helping out increases awareness.  Since you're sitting on your high horse and criticizing, what exactly are you doing to give back? 

Why dont their names get mentioned? because they're not celebrities, they're just doing their job.

Yes, this is all about the image, but its also about spreading the word. most people could give a damn about Katrina. At least they're spending their time of their busy lives, trying to promote a good cause.

maybe i should reword it...im not saying the campain as a whole is a joke.....the parts we are being shown are...im sure they do a lot of good.....but if your going to take out 6 ads a night on prime time tv....at least make it useful....make the campaign something where people get involved....they could do a lot of good....dont just make it out to be something that shows us the things they do after the fact...try to involve the viewers

Originally Posted by dtb00201

maybe i should reword it...im not saying the campain as a whole is a joke.....the parts we are being shown are...im sure they do a lot of good.....but if your going to take out 6 ads a night on prime time tv....at least make it useful....make the campaign something where people get involved....they could do a lot of good....dont just make it out to be something that shows us the things they do after the fact...try to involve the viewers
What are you talking about?  If you go on the NBA Cares website there are ways listed that YOU can get involved as well.  NBA is doing their part, and they've opened it up to anyone who would like to contribute their time as well. 

you are missing my point...they dont tell you any of this in the commercials....all they are showing you is clips of nba players reading or holing basketball clinics.....they dont even mention that they have a website for this....most of the commercials i see do not say here is how you can help....the commercials are solely for the image of the nba....and i am in no way saying i go out and do any of this...i am not on any high horse.....i just dont like being force fed this image of the nba every night

Back
Top Bottom