NBA denies Dwight Howard's request to raise rim to 12 feet during dunk contest

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2008/news/story?id=3243169

For the second succesive year, Dwight Howard's proposal to have the rim raised to 12 feet during the annual dunk contest at All-Star Weekend in New Orleans has been rejected by the NBA.

3818.jpg

Howard

The league office confirmed to ESPN.com on Tuesday that the Orlando Magic's All-Star center has again formally requested to have the rim hiked from the regulation 10 feet to 12 feet for at least one of his dunks, as Howard continues to seek ways to prove that his leaping ability is no less impressive that the hops possessed by shorter rivals.

Yet as with last February in Las Vegas -- when Howard was planning to wow judges with a 360 dunk at 12 feet and an attempt at 11½ feet which called for him to shift the ball between his legs in mid-air -- league officials balked.

They've ruled that changing the height of the rim, while easily done mid-contest with the help of hydraulics, clashes with their intent to apply as many standard NBA rules to All-Star Weekend contests as possible.

The decision also potentially affects Memphis' Rudy Gay. The 6-9 swingman recently issued a challenge in an NBA.com blog entry in which he vowed to match whatever the 6-11 Howard did on a 12-foot rim.

Gay wrote: "Before I go, I have a message for Dwight: You have that idea about moving the goal to 12 feet? If you want to do it, go ahead and do it. I'm pretty confident in my jumping ability. If you go before me, I'll leave it up there and do my dunk."

Minnesota's Gerald Green, the defending champion, followed up with a claim that he'd seek to have the rim raised to 13 feet (three higher than regulation) because "12 feet might be a little too short for me."

Toronto rookie Jamario Moon is the other entrant in a four-man field.

Howard is attempting to be the tallest dunk champion ever. Larry Nance was a 6-10 champion in the NBA's inaugural contest in 1984, nearly two years before Howard was born.

To back his argument that dunks are not easier for big men, Howard unveiled a "sticker dunk" in Vegas in which he slapped a sticker 12 feet, 6 inches high on the backboard with his left hand after catching a bounce pass from Magic teammate Jameer Nelson and dunking with his right hand. But the dunk didn't score high with judges who were apparently unclear on the sticker part, leading a frustrated Howard to initially say that he would boycott future contests.

The 2008 contest will be the first in league history that gives fans final say on who wins. A panel of judges will decide which two dunkers advance to the finals, but fans voting on NBA.com or by text message will choose the champion.

indifferent.gif
at David Stern

They've ruled that changing the height of the rim, while easily done mid-contest with the help of hydraulics, clashes with their intent to apply as many standard NBA rules to All-Star Weekend contests as possible.
indifferent.gif

so league office is basically saying we dont want people to enjoy themselves by doing something different, we are just gonna be boring.

I'm not a fan of the idea, any dunk he can do a on a 12 he can do on a 10, the playing filed would not be even. Heck Kemp probably could have dunk on a 13foot rim. I'm not confident on what these 4
eyes.gif
kids can do on aregulation rim.

that guy completely ruined the camera angle at the "finale" dunk - you sir. are very. stupid.

^ haha you missed the whole point, free throw line dunk.... thinking...... can he do it 3 feet infront of the line
eek.gif

I hate the NBA rules, and there reasoning.... let the kid do it

^ there was a person controlling the camera.

Damn Stern.
Well this dunk contest is over now i guess. So much for the dunk contest coming back.

indifferent.gif
at the denial. I knew it was gonna happen.
why did joey graham ruin the camera angle? maybe he did it on purpose

Probably wanted to give a sneak peak. Maybe he's gonna pull it off in the contest, didn't wanna spoil it, but give a teaser.

"that guy completely ruined the camera angle at the "finale" dunk - you sir. are very. stupid. "

smh

Back
Top Bottom