NBA Legacy Thread, Update Resumes

I just seen a Dirk/Rodman comparison plus Karl Malone and clutch in the same sentence.

I really want to participate in this thread, but im gonna need to not see posts like that.

Chauncey over Kidd?

Is this popular opinion nowadays?
sick.gif

Originally Posted by MBen32

Chauncey over Kidd?

sick.gif

What makes it more funny is that Billups really only had a 9 year career of being who he is today. He wasn't the same player before Detroit, so those first six years on 4 different teams don't count to me. So, would people really say Billups 9 year span > Kidd's 16 years of consistently doing what he's still doing right now?

Chauncey over Kidd?

sick.gif

What makes it more funny is that Billups really only had a 9 year career of being who he is today. He wasn't the same player before Detroit, so those first six years on 4 different teams don't count to me. So, would people really say Billups 9 year span > Kidd's 16 years of consistently doing what he's still doing right now?

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Chauncey over Kidd?

sick.gif

exactly which is my point in saying dirk being the 2nd runner up to td. Dirk as a overall career isnt the player he has been the last few years. He has had a pretty good run, and has had argubably his best season this year. But dirk of this season isnt the same dirk the majority of his years in the nba. Same way billups had a wave of success but it isnt his majority of his career. And again people are using clutch shooting/and team overall post season sucess to say dirk is better then kg etc. Then billups has achieved more post season success then any of those other guards. He lead a team to 2 finals and won one and was finals mvp. None of those other players have done that fact... Same way kg/malone,barkley never did it. So my point is how can you base a player being better because of post season success rings, and clutch shots to make a point and make it non relevant when comparing another set of players. Hell if kidd/nash/gp etc never won/win rings their skillset and overall playing ability makes them better then billups. Has nothing to do with clutch shots, team success, the same way i believe kg/malone/barkley skillset and over game makes them/puts them ahead of dirk regardless of the amount of clutch shots, post season success potential rings he may recieve.

So which is it is a player better because of his team success, clutch shots post season play. Or is it which player has a better overall game? Cant use one means to judge a set of players, and totally dismiss it when comparing another.

Chauncey over Kidd?

sick.gif

exactly which is my point in saying dirk being the 2nd runner up to td. Dirk as a overall career isnt the player he has been the last few years. He has had a pretty good run, and has had argubably his best season this year. But dirk of this season isnt the same dirk the majority of his years in the nba. Same way billups had a wave of success but it isnt his majority of his career. And again people are using clutch shooting/and team overall post season sucess to say dirk is better then kg etc. Then billups has achieved more post season success then any of those other guards. He lead a team to 2 finals and won one and was finals mvp. None of those other players have done that fact... Same way kg/malone,barkley never did it. So my point is how can you base a player being better because of post season success rings, and clutch shots to make a point and make it non relevant when comparing another set of players. Hell if kidd/nash/gp etc never won/win rings their skillset and overall playing ability makes them better then billups. Has nothing to do with clutch shots, team success, the same way i believe kg/malone/barkley skillset and over game makes them/puts them ahead of dirk regardless of the amount of clutch shots, post season success potential rings he may recieve.

So which is it is a player better because of his team success, clutch shots post season play. Or is it which player has a better overall game? Cant use one means to judge a set of players, and totally dismiss it when comparing another.

Let me ask you all...why is it inconceivable (to some) that a player from TODAY'S NBA can arguably be better than someone who came before them in the 80's-90's. There are a lot of nostalgic folks, IMO, who have a hard time grasping that LEGIT arguments can be made when comparing players from two different eras of pro ball. I just wanted to throw that out there.

That being said, CP, I LOVE this idea for a thread. It should be great as we go thru the summer months, counting down the days when the lockout ends and the 2011-12 season starts. Hopefully, sooner...rather than later.

Let me talk about Kobe for a second. I'm going to get this out of the way, but I hate...and I mean HATE the Kobe/Mike comparisons (but I understand why they happen). What really made me appreciate Kobe was the Spike Lee short "Kobe Doin' Work." As a viewer, we got a great glimpse into the mind of Kobe as he dissected the game he plays. Hearing him speak, it was easy to see why he's so driven and a perfectionist. In that aspect, he's very much like Jordan in that they were both students of the game.

Now, there's a part of Kobe's game that I don't think is talked about nearly as much as it should be when discussing his legacy. We all know that with Scottie Pippen, no matter how much people praise his play, admire his status as a top-50 player in NBA history, the rings, etc., he has a blemish on his resume. I think you all know what I'm talking about. Yup, the moment when he decided to sit out the last play vs. the Knicks because Phil drew up the last shot for Kukoc.

This brings me back to Kobe. In 2006, there was a game 7 in the NBA playoffs vs. the Suns. LA was down by double-figures at the half, but Kobe made the decision to stop shooting. This was arguably the most dominant player in the NBA at the time and earlier in season he went off for 81 points vs. the Raptors. If anyone could lead a comeback of epic proportions in a game 7, you would think that Kobe could do it. Long story short, Kobe turned in one of the most SELFISH acts (even moreso than Pippen, IMO) that the NBA has ever seen.

You can compare Mike to Kobe till you are blue in the face. Go over the all-star games, MVP trophy, all-defensive team nods, RINGS, etc etc...but there is one thing that you can NEVER accuse Michael Jordan of doing. That is quitting. I'm sorry, but for a player of Kobe's makeup, you'd expect more.

Kobe is one of the greatest players that I've seen play...but this is a blemish on his resume that I can't ignore and wonder why it's overlooked. Am I reaching here? I know this isn't going to be a popular post with many Lakers fans, but there is nothing that bothers ME more than seeing an athlete "mail it in."

Let me ask you all...why is it inconceivable (to some) that a player from TODAY'S NBA can arguably be better than someone who came before them in the 80's-90's. There are a lot of nostalgic folks, IMO, who have a hard time grasping that LEGIT arguments can be made when comparing players from two different eras of pro ball. I just wanted to throw that out there.

That being said, CP, I LOVE this idea for a thread. It should be great as we go thru the summer months, counting down the days when the lockout ends and the 2011-12 season starts. Hopefully, sooner...rather than later.

Let me talk about Kobe for a second. I'm going to get this out of the way, but I hate...and I mean HATE the Kobe/Mike comparisons (but I understand why they happen). What really made me appreciate Kobe was the Spike Lee short "Kobe Doin' Work." As a viewer, we got a great glimpse into the mind of Kobe as he dissected the game he plays. Hearing him speak, it was easy to see why he's so driven and a perfectionist. In that aspect, he's very much like Jordan in that they were both students of the game.

Now, there's a part of Kobe's game that I don't think is talked about nearly as much as it should be when discussing his legacy. We all know that with Scottie Pippen, no matter how much people praise his play, admire his status as a top-50 player in NBA history, the rings, etc., he has a blemish on his resume. I think you all know what I'm talking about. Yup, the moment when he decided to sit out the last play vs. the Knicks because Phil drew up the last shot for Kukoc.

This brings me back to Kobe. In 2006, there was a game 7 in the NBA playoffs vs. the Suns. LA was down by double-figures at the half, but Kobe made the decision to stop shooting. This was arguably the most dominant player in the NBA at the time and earlier in season he went off for 81 points vs. the Raptors. If anyone could lead a comeback of epic proportions in a game 7, you would think that Kobe could do it. Long story short, Kobe turned in one of the most SELFISH acts (even moreso than Pippen, IMO) that the NBA has ever seen.

You can compare Mike to Kobe till you are blue in the face. Go over the all-star games, MVP trophy, all-defensive team nods, RINGS, etc etc...but there is one thing that you can NEVER accuse Michael Jordan of doing. That is quitting. I'm sorry, but for a player of Kobe's makeup, you'd expect more.

Kobe is one of the greatest players that I've seen play...but this is a blemish on his resume that I can't ignore and wonder why it's overlooked. Am I reaching here? I know this isn't going to be a popular post with many Lakers fans, but there is nothing that bothers ME more than seeing an athlete "mail it in."

Chauncey over Kidd?

sick.gif

No which is my argument for how can you say the same about dirk being ahead of all those other great players. Dirk this season isnt even the same player he was in 06. Lets not act like he hasnt improved his post game, his decision making passing and his so called softness and lack of being clutch, mental toughness. Also while kidd always been great in my book, lets not act like he always was a great/good post player and a decent good shooter either. So um show me this 16 years of being a great post player and a pretty good shooter esp set shot from 3. Where was that at in dallas the 1st run, or his days in phx hell days with nets, hell 4 or 5 seasons ago.

Chauncey over Kidd?

sick.gif

No which is my argument for how can you say the same about dirk being ahead of all those other great players. Dirk this season isnt even the same player he was in 06. Lets not act like he hasnt improved his post game, his decision making passing and his so called softness and lack of being clutch, mental toughness. Also while kidd always been great in my book, lets not act like he always was a great/good post player and a decent good shooter either. So um show me this 16 years of being a great post player and a pretty good shooter esp set shot from 3. Where was that at in dallas the 1st run, or his days in phx hell days with nets, hell 4 or 5 seasons ago.

I hear you DJ's, I was mad as hell during that game, at least try to go out with guns blazing, but he was trying to do that BEFORE halftime and it netted them nothing but a double digit deficit. The way they had got a 3-1 lead on the Suns that year was not him going off crazy, he played a controlled floor game, getting his teammates involved and then tried to close it down the stretch. LA lost that series in Game 6 though when Kwame "butterfingers" Brown failed to grab that rebound that resulted into Tim Thomas's 3 to tie the game. He had 50 points that game and they STILL ended up losing almost by double digits.

He did all he could carrying those bums, and you and I both know had he shot 30+ times in Game 7 and they still get killed, the commentary would have been about him hogging...always has been that way.

By the way great thread idea CP...guess I wasn't important enough to get a PM though
laugh.gif

I hear you DJ's, I was mad as hell during that game, at least try to go out with guns blazing, but he was trying to do that BEFORE halftime and it netted them nothing but a double digit deficit. The way they had got a 3-1 lead on the Suns that year was not him going off crazy, he played a controlled floor game, getting his teammates involved and then tried to close it down the stretch. LA lost that series in Game 6 though when Kwame "butterfingers" Brown failed to grab that rebound that resulted into Tim Thomas's 3 to tie the game. He had 50 points that game and they STILL ended up losing almost by double digits.

He did all he could carrying those bums, and you and I both know had he shot 30+ times in Game 7 and they still get killed, the commentary would have been about him hogging...always has been that way.

By the way great thread idea CP...guess I wasn't important enough to get a PM though
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07
Kobe shouldn't be compared to Jordan at all. Only thing similar is their style of play, and technical ability. In terms of production, game to game impact, accomplishments, general performance, etc., it's not really much of a comparison.

As for that game 7 against Phoenix, it's indeed a blemish, but I think you can pick out blemishes on the careers of just about every hall of fame player. Besides, they were down 20+ when he stopped shooting, and his team was absolutely atrocious in that game. Should he have kept jacking up shots till the bitter end? Probably, but they didn't stand a chance of coming back unless another teammate or two caught fire, and Phil said as much afterwards. That said, it's definitely a black mark on his "resume."

Ive mentioned this when ppl talked about lbj pippen and the fact they always say kobe would/has never done that. Then all of a sudden the thread is like a rat pissin on cotton. Im not taking anything away from kb8 but that season their were times where kobe just said f it, and practically gave up on the lakers, and or just said the hell with them and just making it all about him and not about the team. I find it funny that after 7/8 years of night in night out lbj had to deal with it, and on top of that deal with it living in clevland of all places, and on a team that realistically was never gonna win never will win. Yet kobe only had to endure it 2 seasons and already had 3 rings, and under the table kinda forced the breakup of the dynasty, and basically said hell with the team after the start of a lackluster season.

I feel understand where ppl saying lbj shouldnt have given up, thrown in the towel stayed positive, and kobe never would be that way, but infact he did and the funny part was that he HAD a great team championship team, that because of his attitude was broken up, and he was on a great team that is known for building champions, but the fact he wasnt in that position for not even a whole season he was dissing players, saying folks should be traded, hell saying he wanted to be traded. i Just find it comical that one player gets crucified for never having a good team, and enduring it for damn near 8 years, and another get praised for getting mad/wanting to throw in the towel after a 3peat, because he didnt have a championship team which was in part his fault. I guess haters are gonna hate no matter how hypocritical, ironic it maybe.  

Kobe shouldn't be compared to Jordan at all. Only thing similar is their style of play, and technical ability. In terms of production, game to game impact, accomplishments, general performance, etc., it's not really much of a comparison.

As for that game 7 against Phoenix, it's indeed a blemish, but I think you can pick out blemishes on the careers of just about every hall of fame player. Besides, they were down 20+ when he stopped shooting, and his team was absolutely atrocious in that game. Should he have kept jacking up shots till the bitter end? Probably, but they didn't stand a chance of coming back unless another teammate or two caught fire, and Phil said as much afterwards. That said, it's definitely a black mark on his "resume."

Ive mentioned this when ppl talked about lbj pippen and the fact they always say kobe would/has never done that. Then all of a sudden the thread is like a rat pissin on cotton. Im not taking anything away from kb8 but that season their were times where kobe just said f it, and practically gave up on the lakers, and or just said the hell with them and just making it all about him and not about the team. I find it funny that after 7/8 years of night in night out lbj had to deal with it, and on top of that deal with it living in clevland of all places, and on a team that realistically was never gonna win never will win. Yet kobe only had to endure it 2 seasons and already had 3 rings, and under the table kinda forced the breakup of the dynasty, and basically said hell with the team after the start of a lackluster season.

I feel understand where ppl saying lbj shouldnt have given up, thrown in the towel stayed positive, and kobe never would be that way, but infact he did and the funny part was that he HAD a great team championship team, that because of his attitude was broken up, and he was on a great team that is known for building champions, but the fact he wasnt in that position for not even a whole season he was dissing players, saying folks should be traded, hell saying he wanted to be traded. i Just find it comical that one player gets crucified for never having a good team, and enduring it for damn near 8 years, and another get praised for getting mad/wanting to throw in the towel after a 3peat, because he didnt have a championship team which was in part his fault. I guess haters are gonna hate no matter how hypocritical, ironic it maybe.  

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

I mean the standard when discussing Kobe is usually Mike.  I can't think of any game off-hand where he mailed it in or a situation where he half-assed it.  %#%@, I've posted the video numerous times here on NT, but just think to when a 38 year old Jordan chased down a 26 year old Ron Mercer to pin that %#%@ on the backboard.  People like to talk about Kobe's drive and competitive nature, but again...the standard is Mike, and I can't think of anyone who remotely comes close in that area. 

I mean the standard when discussing Kobe is usually Mike.  I can't think of any game off-hand where he mailed it in or a situation where he half-assed it.  %#%@, I've posted the video numerous times here on NT, but just think to when a 38 year old Jordan chased down a 26 year old Ron Mercer to pin that %#%@ on the backboard.  People like to talk about Kobe's drive and competitive nature, but again...the standard is Mike, and I can't think of anyone who remotely comes close in that area. 

My thing is that the standard shouldn't be Mike, just for the reasons stated. He was a unique athlete, both in terms of his physical dominance on the court, and his incomparable will and determination. So why is every great basketball player held to his standard? I just don't see how that's fair, because in a way it's belittling when those players invariably come up short. It's like if every successful investor was compared to Warren Buffett. Doesn't make sense to me.

My thing is that the standard shouldn't be Mike, just for the reasons stated. He was a unique athlete, both in terms of his physical dominance on the court, and his incomparable will and determination. So why is every great basketball player held to his standard? I just don't see how that's fair, because in a way it's belittling when those players invariably come up short. It's like if every successful investor was compared to Warren Buffett. Doesn't make sense to me.

Originally Posted by LDJ

No one is discussing LeBron right now, prattle on about him in one of the other 14 threads he has dedicated to him.

Um doublej was, and it still doesnt validate one over the other, and yes we where talking about comparing players based on all aspects of the game and if you didnt notice his name is on the very first post of this thread. But back to what i was saying how are we going to be judging these players, is it off overall game, team success, individual accolades, etc... And for the guy bigging up ray ray, i agree he is very underrated, kinda puts me in a mindframe of a glen rice earlier in his career, and then a reggie in his later years. Do anyone think/beleive ray will be a 1st or second hall of fame ballot winner? I can see maybe not 1st but he def should be there.

Originally Posted by LDJ

No one is discussing LeBron right now, prattle on about him in one of the other 14 threads he has dedicated to him.

Um doublej was, and it still doesnt validate one over the other, and yes we where talking about comparing players based on all aspects of the game and if you didnt notice his name is on the very first post of this thread. But back to what i was saying how are we going to be judging these players, is it off overall game, team success, individual accolades, etc... And for the guy bigging up ray ray, i agree he is very underrated, kinda puts me in a mindframe of a glen rice earlier in his career, and then a reggie in his later years. Do anyone think/beleive ray will be a 1st or second hall of fame ballot winner? I can see maybe not 1st but he def should be there.

Back
Top Bottom